News: NWSL Allocation List

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by StarCityFan, Jan 9, 2013.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last I heard the announcement should come by mid-afternoon tomorrow.

2. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Just wanted to inform people (if they didn't know already) that Klingenberg was the 24th allocated U.S. player, and she confirmed to play overseas (instead of in this league) at the last second, which more or less forced the allocation to be at 23 players for the U.S.

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Really? There was no plan for what to do if somebody declined to play in the league?

I bet somebody would have taken the money.

4. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    It almost looks like they went through a few of the 2012 camp players and tried to fill list, and thought they had it until the last minute. They couldn't use Averbuch because of a contract. Mewis and Nairn are likely high draft picks. Press was out of contract so I am surprised she wasn't offered the spot given she was an Olympic alternate. Maybe she waited to see if she was going to be an allocated player and signed with Tyreso when she was told she wasn't. Then Klingenberg changed her mind opening a spot up that Press could have taken. Maybe Klingenberg heard she was going to a team or coach she didn't want to play for and changed her mind. Maybe Press was offered the spot first and passed. There are alot of ways it could have gone, mostly it appears Klingenberg said yes and changed her mind at the last minute leaving them in a lurch. They needed to get the list out and didn't have time to fill it in again. Perhaps they will spend the next few weeks and find another that wants to play and is willing to be allocated, that the teams would take.

5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  6. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    LOL, did you see Hope Solo's recent tweet from a couple hours ago?

[​IMG]Hope Solo@hopesolo
    Who can guess where ill be allocated? Hmmm....boston? ;) #fb
      • RETWEETS
      • 205FAVORITES
    1. 5h
      [​IMG]Dina Bass@dinabass
      @hopesolo Hoping for Seattle.
      Expand
    2. 4h
      [​IMG]jodi@ohbell
      @hopesolo nah, Kansas City sounds waaaaaay more like your style.........#dontkillme
      Expand
    3. 4h
      [​IMG]Hope Solo@hopesolo
      @ohbell i did LOVE St. Louis!
      Expand
    4. 3h
      [​IMG]Mike Amrock@MikeAmrock
      @hopesolo St Louis...Atlanta...Boca... Hey @SeattleReignFC you sure you want to go down this road???
      Expand
    5. 3h

7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    This reaction from Marta is CLASSIC, when she first hears from Abby that the U.S. National team has "committed" to playing in the NWSL. This was the very first time that a player representative from the U.S. national team publicly spoke about "official commitment" to the NWSL. You can tell Marta was a little stunned by it, at the exact second that Abby began to speak about it (it certainly caught Marta's attention). It's like Abby and Alex Morgan didn't tell Marta before hand earlier that evening, and it was the first time Marta had heard it. She wasn't shocked (nobody is by this news in the long run), but I think she was "stunned" that it was announced right there, and that they didn't tell her before, when they were probably conversating with each other before this ceremony about soccer and their upcoming plans for 2013, etc. And yes, these players do talk, especially when three great players like this get together, they do talk before the ceremony(and during it). Even Marta, who doesn't speak very good English, but can understand it somewhat (more than she used to). Marta's reaction is at 2:15 in this video... She's like, "Whoa, like really Abby? Why didn't you guys tell me that an hour ago when we were talking about 2013 with each other?".

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Looked more like she was trying to suppress a yawn.

9. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 24 players to be allocated are those with (or will have) WNT contracts. As Sunil said from the beginning, it was possible not all would play with the new league. There was never a "back up" or "Plan B".

10. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must be watching a different film from above than you.

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

There are currently 30 players who are in the national team players pool. None are college players.

Not all have been picked for team rosters, and of those, at least Winters and Klingenberg were offered.

It seems there were still more options.

12. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Exactly. What Sunil said when the league was announce was there would be up to 24 allocated players because some might choose to play over seas. If that's the case then there is still no way I get them not paying Press regardless of where she elects to play. She and Engen r the two that I see as most likely to get moved up to the big team. Press certainly made an impression to be named Olympic alternate. If Sermanni wants to use her say on the Algarve Cup roster, USSoccer will have to pay her per the contract. Maybe Im just old fashion dumb but I just cant see the fact that they choose not to use that slot for a league player doesnt shout that they r using that slot for a player who is playing over seas, and not Klingenberg.

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portland is the loaded team, but not for the reasons we expected:

Portland Thorns FC
    Rachel Buehler (USA)
    Tobin Heath (USA)
    Alex Morgan (USA)
    Luz Saucedo (MEX)
    Marlene Sandoval (MEX)
    Karina LeBlanc (CAN)
    Christine Sinclair (CAN)

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice 1 - 2 punch.

16. Tokonta

Tokonta Member

Dec 11, 2008
    At first glance it looks like Portland is the most balanced!

Western New York Flash
    Carli Lloyd (USA)
    Abby Wambach (USA)
    Bryana McCarthy (CAN)
    Jodi-Ann Robinson (CAN)
    Veronica Perez (MEX)
    Pamela Tajonar (MEX)

The Flash only allocated 2 US players. I wondering if they can pick up another? Also didn't Jodi-Ann Robinson sign with Kansas City?WUWT?

17. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    I think when they spoke of "parity" they must've been only referring to balance among the allotments from each team, rather than the overall dispensation of athletes.

18. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Also interesting the Perez didn't go to Seattle, nor did Harris get WNY.

19. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buehler is the only player on that list that could be considered a weak pick by some. But sheesh, Morgan and Sinclair back together? Talk about trouble for every other team.

My ranking of the allocation:

1- Portland
    2- Seattle
    3- DC
    4- SkyBlue
    5- WNY
    6- KC
    7- Boston
    8- Chicago

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the ongoing con call:

Liviu Bird liviubird
    [Alex] Morgan: "We're still looking to finalize our negotiations with U.S. Soccer" regarding NWSL and USWNT contracts.

21. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Obviously we can't really grade the teams overall since this will represent barely over a third of their roster. But based on who I think made out the best from this allocation.

1. Portland
    2. Boston
    3. KC
    4. Seattle (would be higher if Pinoe was full season)
    5. WNY
    6. Washington
    7. Sky Blue
    8. Chicago

22. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    I would say Buehldozer is perfect bouncer for her Trinity: Alex, Tobin and Sincy. Alex always appreciated her work in practice games. What a team!

23. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im wondering why Megan Rapinoe went to Seattle and Alex Morgan to Portland? Wouldn't it have been more balanced & more ideal for both players the other way around?

24. EvWill

EvWill Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Fort Washington, MD
    I imagine that as two of the most marketable players, Morgan and Solo had to be allocated to separate teams.

25. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    More balanced relatively speaking. But I think both scenarios aren't ideal if that's what they were really after. At least if Pinoe went to Portland you could say she was there for a half season and with Alex and Hope you could say well at least it's a keeper+field player. But still in terms of not only roster strength but star power (ie ticket sales) neither of those help establish much league equilibrium.