Number of season tickets for each team.

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by patilluky, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    anonymous posting on bigsoccer is not publishing but good try ...

again ... feel free follow the wiki link i provided and read the standard they use ... that was what i was trying to at least loosely adhere to ... tho i have tended to be a bit more lax including things like online chats with FO members or bloggers ... i understand it can be frustrating ... i've had my share of wikipedia stuff deleted for not being properly sourced ... but in the end it is a good standard for online and it does make sense if you think about it.

and frankly i really don't give two sh*ts ... if you all want to make the list a dumping ground for "my mother's 2nd cousins sister heard from her taxi driver that he saw an internal memo from X team's front office that said Y" feel free but nobody seemed to have a problem with the standard being used up until now so i am not sure why there is an issue on this particular item.

in the end the solution to this is really simple ... leaking such a spreadsheet is a pretty big deal ... this here bigsoccer is home to many bloggers and soccer writers and/or those that know them .... i am pretty sure that such a major snafu would warrant some follow up with the team in which the number can be verified by the FO and somebody would get a nice blogpost or article out of it.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've obviously never dealt with the Ministry of Information Security that is KSE. I doubt anyone there is going to verify anything from the spreadsheet.

4. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    apparently it is that you simply cannot read:

and briefly glancing at that thread there seems to not be total consensus that the information is 100% accurate or that it even is 100% complete.

of course if you were really that worried you would simply provide the link to the interview that is discussed in that thread where a FO member went on the record with a ST number:

5. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fascinating. So not only are you completely illogical, you are also completely inconsistent. that is a fabulous combination.

First you tell us we are going to go to hell for not following Wiki's directions for providing a published source and then out the other side of your mouth you tell us to ignore wikipedia's own definition of what a published source is.

This is epic! Thomas Flannigan, if you are out there, Ole may catch your Title IX thread for most ridiculous stance ever on Big Soccer. Love it.

6. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1.jpg

7. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ummm.........ironic.

You do realize when he says "certain" he is talking about the information about the season ticket holder, not a subset of the season ticket holders right??

The whole point of the letter is to confirm that the financial information was not released while certain other information was.

8. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    well i am not a rapids fan nor a rapids beat reporter, so no i have not ... and frankly that isn't my problem ... all this thread is attempting to do is compile verified and sourced information into a list that anybody can see and verify for themselves if they so wish.

9. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

CONFIRMED:

Seattle Sounders FC --------- 32,000 (2010)
    Toronto FC ------------------- 16,000 (2012)
    Portland Timbers FC --------- 14,750 (2012)
    Vancouver Whitecaps FC ---- 13,000 (2012)
    Philadelphia Union - 12,000-13,000 (2011)
    Houston Dynamo ------------ 12,000 (2012)
    Sporting Kansas City --------- 11,000 (2011)
    Montreal Impact -------------- 8,000 (2012)
    Los Angeles Galaxy ----------- 7,500 (2012)
    Real Salt Lake --------- 7,000-8,000 (2011)
    Chicago Fire ------------------- 6,000 (2012)
    Columbus Crew --------------- 5,000 (2012)
    San Jose Earthquakes --------- 4,000 (2012)

Colorado Rapids -------------- 3,500 (2012)

UNCONFIRMED:

Red Bull New York ----------- 7,800 (2012)​

MISSING:

Chivas USA, DC United, FC Dallas, NE Revolution,​

Oobers repped this.
  10. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

look ... the information was NOT published on this forum ... publishing it here on bigsoccer would have meant posting/linking the whole spreadsheet in all of its details ... not 3 people who saw it saying "hey i got this and it says this, trust me".

nice cherry picking ... try reading the whole thing

Accessible

[edit]

Definition

"The source is available to the public to review in some manner."

11. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

CONFIRMED:

Seattle Sounders FC --------- 32,000 (2010)
    Toronto FC ------------------- 16,000 (2012)
    Portland Timbers FC --------- 14,750 (2012)
    Vancouver Whitecaps FC ---- 13,000 (2012)
    Philadelphia Union - 12,000-13,000 (2011)
    Houston Dynamo ------------ 12,000 (2012)
    Sporting Kansas City --------- 11,000 (2011)
    Montreal Impact -------------- 8,000 (2012)
    Los Angeles Galaxy ----------- 7,500 (2012)
    Real Salt Lake --------- 7,000-8,000 (2011)
    Chicago Fire ------------------- 6,000 (2012)
    Columbus Crew --------------- 5,000 (2012)
    San Jose Earthquakes --------- 4,000 (2012)

UNCONFIRMED:

Red Bull New York ----------- 7,800 (2012)​
    Colorado Rapids -------------- 3,500 (2012)

MISSING:

Chivas USA, DC United, FC Dallas, NE Revolution,​

12. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is incorrect. It does not have to be "any human". Here is Wiki's definition of a reliable source

"All reliable sources are, by definition, both published and accessible to at least some people."

The email that contained the information meets Wiki's definition of publishing and the people on Big Soccer along with the entire season ticket base who read the email meets the requirement of "at least some people" as listed above.

13. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for some detailed info Quinn. These are by far the best numbers we have to look at and to have so many varied people verify the email mix up is great. This is so much more interesting and informative than a GM telling a blogger "well, I guess we have more than X sold", where X always seems to be such a convenient number.

Is there any one address that has by far the most season tickets? That might indicate a corporation or group.

Does MLS have a standard for what is considered a season ticket holder or is it up to the individual teams? And if up to the individual teams, that obviously makes comparisons much more difficult.

14. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This is big soccer. Its an internet community. Jasonma is a respected poster. He saw the spreadsheet and reported in detail any relevant information. This is ridiculous. Wikipedia is an encyclopedia. The fact that information posted here can come 95% of the way to being "verifiable" according to the most popular encyclopedia in the world is a win for internet forums everywhere.

Worse? The FO reported that they were over 4000 in 2009. They claim at meetings every year that numbers have gone up, but who knows. The original 2009 article isn't archived. I'm just surprised that there's a team in MLS WORSE than the Revs when it comes to season tickets. That's just sad.

15. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would not shock me if Chivas has less than the Revs do. No inside information, but just would not be a surprise.

16. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    the only thing i ever saw about Chivas ST was in the Portland stadium study and they had less than 1K ... they were by far the lowest in the league. i guess they do their attendance by walk up.

as for the Revs ... if it was 4K in 2009 i would guess it is half that by now ... no matter what the FO says in those "supporter meetings" where by all accounts all they do is lie and blow smoke up their arses ... or so i've been led to believe by reading reports of said meetings from Revs fans/attendees.

17. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd doubt that. This year they renewed 75% of the ticket base, and that was their lowest renewal rate in recent history. I think they even received some kind of pat on the back from the league one year for having the highest renewal rates.

On big soccer you hear from a lot of the Fort members that have cancelled their tickets, but STHs in other sections have been renewing at a high rate. Outside the fort, the STHs are mostly upper middle class white suburban dads and whoever they manage to bring (wives, grandparents, kids). There are also quite a few 2nd/3rd generation British/Irish immigrants that will buy season tickets every year. They don't really seem to care as much about the ownership.

I was talking with a ticket rep a year ago after one of the 6,000-7,000 attendance games and they mentioned those games were 3/4 season ticket holders and not much else.

18. patilluky

patilluky Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Getafe spain
    Club:
    Getafe CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The idea of twine is good, the good will of Ole is also and the rest is also good, but the discussion seems a little absurd. I think that the idea was to know the number of subscribers of each team which will never be exact and approximate by what I understand it to be any reliable source which take into account, the directive i think it is the more reliable to make sure this data to know the number of subscriptions sold.
    Next year we will compare the data of this season with the next and see variations in the numbers and it will be something more to talk about. A bit of peace the problem is not so serious.
    I hope you will understand something of what I wanted to say.

MLSFan123 repped this.
  19. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is one individual on the list that has a total of 1478 for all home games, which averages out to 86.9 seats per game. But that is a major outlier and the other large numbers are much more along the lines of what you'd expect from a family. Ala 4-6 seats per game.

It's hard to say. The most important number for us BigSoccer folk is really the actual number of seats that are occupied by STHs. If the Rapids model is anything to go off of, the primary reference for sorting STHs is the number of people that have an account - actual seats are secondary. Thats why I had to actually sit down and make a calculation based off the data in the spreadsheet. The only way to be totally sure my number is correct would be to go through the data line-by-line to double check.

MLSFan123 repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if it helps I did my own independent analysis and came up with the same numbers.

21. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for your work. The data you provided was great. We may never get a peak below the covers like this again.

22. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Oobers and Jasonma repped this.
  23. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL = 8,500
    http://www.realsaltlake.com/news/2012/05/sports-business-journal

MLSFan123 repped this.
  24. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^Wrong thread. Can a mod close this one? Thanks.

Oobers repped this.
  25. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    how about you not ask people to close my active thread ... thanks.