NSR: MLS 2010 Non-Sporting Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by kopiteinkc, Jan 12, 2010.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Re: NWR: MLS 2010 Non-Wizards Discussion [R]

Yeah, I'm seriously disappointed in the new site. It takes me 5 minutes just to find scores. It looks like a 3rd grade computer design class project. Just hideous.

2. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  3. flamepruf

flamepruf New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Jackson, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm annoyed, but ok with the bugs on the new site. The instant gratification wants right now! but being around the internet and all the "new and greatest" since the early 90's...I just take it as Murphy's internet law that NOTHING will work as planned right out of the gate.

That said...Man I really, really feel bad for FC Dallas. A rivalry match as their home opener and they get a whopping 8k? That club is in a ton of trouble in regards to attendance. You'd think the law of averages would allow for more fans than that simply because of the the size of the Dallas/FW metro area.

4. KC Wizzle

KC Wizzle Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

One out of two ain't bad (Noonan signed with Seattle today), from Tom Timmerman's blog...

5. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I've been to Frisco, although not to PHP. There's not easy interstate access, and the best road that goes there is kind of like US-71 going downtown, but longer. But, really, the entire Metroplex is like that! The place is huge and the roads suck, so a whole lot of things are a hassle to get to. So I'm not really buying the "ooh, it's sooooo far out in the suburbs" excuse.

It sounds like Clark Hunt needs to do a housecleaning at FCD and start over. Marketing-wise, they just aren't connecting with anyone.

6. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The North Dallas Tollway is not like 71 going to downtown. It's especially not like 71 once you get north of I-435. The tollway at least doesn't have stoplights on it (at least the parts that I've driven/riden on).

7. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, I came in on 121 the time I was there, and it was a lot like 71. (It looks like they've finished the construction project and made that a toll road in the couple of years since I was there.)

Hmm. With two high-speed roads to Frisco, that "location" excuse is just more lame. They could build light rail to the stadium, and I still don't think it would fix FCDs problem.

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, when we went down in 05, the tollway was still being worked on and it was a major pain in the ass. When I went down in 08 and 09 (I wish I could forget the later) the tollroad was basically done and much easier to get around.

9. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Found this interesting-

Philly's first home match will be in Lincoln Financial Field on April 10, hosting DC.

Union Front Office has made the mistake of putting the traveling United supporters directly above the SoB's section at one end of the stadium, literally they have been assigned to the second level above and behind the home supporters section....................

10. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

:eek:

I can't see that ending well.

11. KC Wizzle

KC Wizzle Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Obviously the new website has taken a lot of flack for the poor launch, deservedly so. But if they can put together more video content like this Matchday 360, I'll excuse a lot of the bad first impression. Simply superb. Really makes MLS look top notch, oozes of professionalism.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/content/mls-matchday-360-philadelphia-seattle

12. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

looks awesome but since i can only see 6 seconds before it buffers on my 16mb internet it is hard to say just how good.

13. KC Wizzle

KC Wizzle Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There is a DP thread- can we move this over there please?

15. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was getting ready to say the same thing. There isnt really a reason to have two threads with the same discussion.

16. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

DP posts moved. Carry on.

17. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

RSL-HOU just got interesting... Houston earned two PKs in the span of five minutes or so to go from 1-0 down to 2-1 up.

18. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

RSL is really talented- surprised they didn't get a point out of that match

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ricketts gets hurt more than almost any other goalkeeper I think I've ever seen.

20. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

Did anyone else think both of those PKs were incredibly soft in the RSL-HOU game? I thought the officiating was just downright horrible the entire game.

1) Called Landin offside when he was clearly on - made a damn good run, too.

2) PK1 - there might have been a little contact from behind, and by a little I mean their jerseys might have touched and maybe a brief grazing of contact, but that was all kinds of embellished.

3) PK2 - Landin flopped like Ruiz on this on, he was barely touched.

4) Espinosa mugging Boswell at the end - they both got a yellow (what the hell did Boswell do?) when Espinosa should have gotten a straight red and Boswell shouldn't have gotten a thing.

Houston played no better in the second half than they did in the first, they just got two extremely generous PK calls and ended up winning because of it. If I was RSL I would be extremely disappointed with this result. We all know bad calls and PKs are part of the game, but c'mon, that's ridiculous.

21. Jammer101

Jammer101 New Member

Aug 11, 2009

It was a cheap victory. It's hard to lose that way, RSL played a decent game. But I can't disagree with all the calls. The offsides, at 3:12 of the highlights, looks offside to me, in any case it's not obvious. The first PK, yeah it was a flop. I didn't think so until I watched the replay a few times. Cameron slowed and held his leg out behind him so Olave would trip over it. Very cheap, very smart. The second PK, Landin probably could have kept his feet if he wanted, but there was contact, and it's the right call. #4 you are right of course.

22. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1) Don't recall the offside call
    2,3) both pks looked like trips - good calls
    4) Espindola vs. Boswell: during the replay and the commentary, I kept wondering what Marrufo saw that we didn't or vice versa! Boswell did end up with some good riding time.

We don't know what may have happened outside of our view. Marrufo may have decided that both contributed and that it wasn't that violent. Yellow to both and let's get out of this game. The game ended on the ensuing FK.

Since both were sanctioned I don't think MLS will do any suspension, but I've been wrong before.

23. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

They showed a straight down the line view of it during the game that's not in the highlight reel. He was very clearly no-questions-asked onside. No way you could have argued it on the down the line view.

24. Kasmatsu

Kasmatsu Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Gardner, KS
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is there any news on Ching's injury?

25. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Between that and his flowery "I must get get on the highlight real, let me make this save look harder than it needs to be and throw in some unnecessary air time as well" goalkeeping style, and his ability to critique premier league goalkeepers like he is a net guardian zen master I can quite unreservedly say he is my least favorite goalkeeper since ...... Shaka Hislop? .... (Tony Meola!)