NSR: Literature thread

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by yasik19, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took Dima's compliment as a....well.... compliment.

2. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Just ordered this one.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rapture-Dialogues-DARK-DIMENSION/dp/1933204184/ref=pd_sim_b_21"]Amazon.com: The Rapture Dialogues: DARK DIMENSION (9781933204185): Terry James: Books[/ame]

Reading A Tale of Two Cities right now in the mean time.

Last 5 books I've read in no order were,

The Biggest Secret
    Rule By Secrecy
    Boys Will be Boys
    How Soccer Explains the World
    My Bloody Life

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I liked it, easy read but one of the chapters had an anti-Ukrainian feel to it. If you read it you'll catch it.

5. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Just finished:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Twelve-Caesars-Penguin-Classics/dp/0140455167/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264447447&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: The Twelve Caesars (Penguin Classics) (9780140455168): Suetonius, James Rives, Robert Graves: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Heroes-History-Civilization-Ancient-Modern/dp/0743226127/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264447485&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Heroes of History: A Brief History of Civilization from Ancient Times to the Dawn of the Modern Age (9780743226127): Will Durant: Books[/ame]

and

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Pol-Pot-Nightmare-Philip-Short/dp/0719565693/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264447498&sr=1-5"]Amazon.com: Pol Pot: The History of a Nightmare (9780719565694): Philip Short: Books[/ame]

and now reading this
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Khrushchev-Man-His-William-Taubman/dp/0393324842/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264447521&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Khrushchev: The Man and His Era (9780393324846): William Taubman: Books[/ame]

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read it already, that is why I asked you about it. I know which chapter you are talking about.

Have you read Football Against the Enemy? Similar style, also not the most flattering description of Russian or Ukrainian football.

7. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    No, and you know I don't take kindly to criticism. :D

I'm going to buy Passovotchka soon which is supposed to be a great read.

8. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    read this book by Thomas Goltz called Chechnya Diary. Really good I'd recommend it. He also has one called Georgia Diary and Azerbaijan Diary - just checked them out of the library going to read them too. Basically an American guy who went into to thick of these places at the critical times. Very good so far, highly recommended.

9. LokomotivZee

LokomotivZee Member

Aug 28, 2009
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read the user reviews on that page. "...UFO's being used by Satan to help rocket human technology by hundreds of years, government cover-ups, attacks on Israel, exra-dimensional beings, family reunions, and even romance...."

Wow is all I can say.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Tannenberg-1410-Disaster-Teutonic-Campaign/dp/1841765619"]Amazon.com: Tannenberg 1410: Disaster for the Teutonic Knights (Campaign) (9781841765617): Stephen Turnbull, Richard Hook: Books[/ame]

what I'm reading.

10. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Sixpence-Classic-20th-Century-Penguin/dp/0140185976"]Amazon.com: The Moon and Sixpence (Classic, 20th-Century, Penguin) (9780140185973): W. Somerset Maugham: Books[/ame]

I've read many books by Maugham and this one is just as good as the others.

11. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
  12. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I'm traveling for work almost non-stop until about the middle of June, I finally get a chance to catch up on my reading, which lately has taken a back seat (waaaaaay in the back) to work commitments and trying to finish my M.A. thesis up & prepare for its defense.

The last Russian book a finished was a collection of short stories by Tat'yana Tolstaya, "Река Оккервиль." http://www.ruskniga.com/sell.asp/ItemId/17148/initcode/newsearch/category/Books/sc/41 It was a good read; Tolstaya is a talented writer and her clever use of language as a medium within a medium is a neat literary trick that I appreciate very much. However, her characters sometimes a little too otherworldy for me, in a place where I just can't seem to get too. Still, a worthy read.

If you want a good read about a dark part of both Soviet and American history, an extremely well researched book about a subject that has a story needing to be told - and is currently available new on Amazon.com in hardcover for $4+3 shipping, then may I recommend this:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00342VEYM/ref=oss_product"]Amazon.com: The Forsaken: An American Tragedy in Stalin's Russia: Tim Tzouliadis: Books[/ame]

The author's research on this is both voluminous and exhaustive, probably the most extensive research I've seen since Anne Applebaum's Pulitzer Prize winning effort, "Gulag," which is another book you have to read if you haven't already.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gulag-History-Soviet-Anne-Applebaum/dp/0140283102/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271587220&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Gulag: A History of the Soviet Camps (9780140283105): Anne Applebaum: Books[/ame]

What is everybody else reading? Looking for recommendations, I only have one volume currently in my "must read now" queue (more on that in the next post,) looking for others...one of the nice things about traveling for the bank is that at the end of the day, I get to check into a nice comfy suite at one of the Marriott chains, order in room service and relax with a good book, something that just never seems to happen at home these days.

13. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you don't mind my asking - is your professor either Dr. Gary Jahn or Eric Martens? if it is Eric Martens, could you PM me please? Your description fits Eric to a tee, we were classmates both at DLIFLC and the U of MN, and we served together as voice intercept analysts (98 Golf, if you are familiar with the Army's M.O.S. parlance) in the 147th Military Intelligence Battalion (CEWI) supporting the 10th Mountain Division's northern warfare mission, back in the "bad ol' days." I've long ago lost track of Eric, last I heard he was teaching in the Monterey CA area, but that was over a decade or so ago.

14. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, here's where I am going to make a pitch for someone that I consider to be one of the most influential people in my life, my former professor and head of Russian Studies at the U of MN, now retired and Professor Emeritus, Dr. Irina Corten.

[​IMG]

Dr. Corten has been published numerous times in the realm of academia, most of which you can find on Amazon; this you can't, yet. Dr. Corten is the daughter of a member of the intelligentsia and a well known Muscovite family and the late Henry Shapiro, the long time UPI correspondent who covered the Soviet Union from Moscow from the dark days of the assault upon Moscow until 1973, when he retired, later teaching journalism at both Harvard and Columbia. In short, if any one of us would have had the wild ride thru life as the author did - growing up in wartime and then Stalinist Moscow, being allowed to emigrate only after Stalin's death and intercession by the US State Department, spending the college years during the 60s at Cal-Berkeley and becoming a close acquaintance of Yevtushenko when he was there- we'd want to write a book too. She is actually doing her memoirs in 2 parts, this is the first part covering up until 1970 - the 2nd part is still being written, and will be called "Soul in Flight." I think part 1 will be more interesting from a historical perspective, as the author gets more involved into past life experiences and the ancient art (?? - you be the judge) of shamanism, a few glimpses of which are seen in part one. FTR, I'm not a big believer in out of body experiences or past life experiences, but when someone of such education lends a bit more than a little credence to the practice, it does make me wonder a bit.

From a historical perspective, the book is a wonderful read - her life is about as cross-cultural as it gets. The book has been privately published for now, but the author has gotten such positive feedback so far from both former students, academic peers, and friends, as well as a big time literary agent in NYC, that it is only a matter of time before her book is published for public consumption.

If you are interested, please PM me and I will set you up with her contact information. The book is available in either 1st edition hardcover, signed by the author ($23+$5 for shipping) or paperback ($17+$5).

15. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Does anyone here like Pelevin?

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you interested in? Historical work, or something more relaxing like a football book?

17. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I very rarely read sports books. This last year was kind of an exception, having read "How Soccer explains the World," Larry & Magic's "When the Game Was Ours", and Bill Simmon's excellent "The Book of Basketball." There's usually not that many sports titles that come out that seem all that interesting.

18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccernomics was a great quick read.

19. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just read "Angel of Grozny"

Great book, super intense, shocking and scary.

Made me depressed my life is so lame compared to the author who was in Grozny by age 25.

20. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    You've tolerated Dima for almost 2 years now. Don't sell yourself short.

21. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Well you've tolerated watching Chelsea for how long now ? Patience is a virtue my friend and you have it.

23. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    When you are right, you are right, I do have patience, lots of it............I have to, right? ;)

25. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    You seem like the type who would have patience. You cerebral bastard. :D