NSR: Literature thread

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by yasik19, Nov 2, 2007.

1. rbubela

rbubela Member

Feb 17, 2009
    NorCal
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Just going to throw this out their maybe start a conversation.
    My fav books.

Taras Bulba -Gogol
    Hemingway- 'Whom the bell tolls, The old man and the sea
    Midnights Children- Salman Rushdie
    Dubliners- James Joyce
    Crime and Punishment- Fedya D.
    Divine Comedy- Dante Alighieri
    I liked the concept of Paradise Lost (John Milton) but found it to hard to read so I didn't

Bio-Autobios
    The Duke of Flatbush - Duke Snyder (Team leader of the 1950's Brooklyn Dodgers, great book about the Golden Age of baseball)
    Bob Knight- forgot the title but this was a very intersting read.

2. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Boys Will be Boys: The Golden Days and Party Nights of the Dallas Cowboys Dynasty

3. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Bump.

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Murakami.

Quite interesting.

4. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    i've been so fokked by this economicrisis that my reading has been on an inexperienced beggar's diet, blya.

5. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    come on man, we miss you.

6. TORPEDO

TORPEDO Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Za nakryityim stolom
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    That's totally kind, but for last 4 months it's been a mazafokkin' rollercoaster.

7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    well, hopefully everything will calm down and you'll start posting again.

8. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Ok you cultured bastards, check out this book. It's not War & Peace but it's entertaining and graphic as hell.

My Bloody Life: The Making of a Latin King.

We read this in high school my senior year and trust me you will get addicted to it.

9. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its about gangs?

10. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Yea. It's about a Puerto Rican kid who moves to Chicago's Humboldt Park Neighborhood. It's a ********ed up book, check it out. Really easy read and I bet you'll get addicted and finish it in a day.

11. odessit19

odessit19 Member+

Dec 19, 2004
    My gun safe
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    The Stranger by Camus
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Vonnegut
    East of Eden by Steinbeck
    1984 by Orwell

12. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Rodichi - by Dmitri Lipskerov. As usual, all his books are pretty damn weird, but man, he writes very well. Can't put his books down.

13. sumthingspecial

sumthingspecial New Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    does anyone use audio-books :D

if they had that for all books and the narrator didn't talk so slowly but rather like a teleprompter i would use it all the time. same as reading but you don't go blind. i think i can be on the computer all day and not suffer the kind of eye damage 1 hour of reading does :confused:

and do you people count story-based video games as literature? ya.. think about that. :p those old lucas arts games. okay, not very complex, but it's all reading! or snatcher, which i'm playing right now.. some say its possible the best game ever. it's more like a playable comic book. love the music! (skip the 1st minute)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuyUShtcn94"]YouTube - Snatcher - full intro /SEGA CD/[/ame]

btw that's supposed to be harrison ford as in blade runner

14. sumthingspecial

Jun 27, 2006
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    so no one made fun of me yet eh. no one thought about calling me a little kid for wanting to lay down with my eyes closed and use my imagination to picture scenes? no one wants to argue that it's somehow less intellectual when it's not your eyeballs doing the work?

well, not that i think about it,

possibly. not only will you look smarter with prescription glasses :rolleyes: but reading yourself, in your own voice, allows you time to contemplate the deeper meaning of the text, while i listening should work better for "adventure" stories.

I've convinced myself then! I'll go download/rent/buy an audio cassette of indiana jones or james bond. i assume those are real books :D (anything 'fluff' based you can recommend me?)

15. sumthingspecial

Jun 27, 2006
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    can't believe this thread's still a sticky. any of you read david icke? i hear he's insane so i'm checking out some of his stuff

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Children-Matrix-Interdimensional-Controlled-Years/dp/0953881016/ref=pd_sim_b_1"]Amazon.com: Children of the Matrix: How an Interdimensional Race has Controlled the World for Thousands of Years-and Still Does (9780953881017): David Icke: Books[/ame]

16. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    sumthing I'm reading The Biggest Secret, on about page 130. I've heard it all so what he has to say doesn't get the 'shock value' or 'wtf' reaction from me.

There's a controversy regarding his alleged anti-Semitism and I can truthfully say that after readin 1/4th or so of this book that there is definitely a hint of anti-Semitic views to an extent. For example, he keeps mentioning the Khazars and how the world's current Jewish population is being mislead and lied to and how they have no connection to Israel. Apart from that he seems to believe that the repitilians mixed with white Aryans, even going as far saying that the 'reptilian elite' is of a white color while the rest are darker, lol.

David Icke's a nut despite being right about a lot of things. His books are great entertainment though.

17. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Just read this one, didn't enjoy it much mainly because of the writing style but lots and lots of good info and not as wacko as Icke.

[​IMG]

18. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Anyone here ever read this one ? I just ordered it and looked the book up on google. Apprently Dinamo was considered to be the best team to ever visit the British Isles by their media after they played there. And the way they describe Dinamo's style of play might in fact prove that the forefather of 'Total Football' was in fact the USSR ! Imagine that !

[​IMG]

19. Slitty

Slitty Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Russia
    So I read «Мастер и Маргарита» for the first time...
    Not bad Mr. Bulgakov, not bad at all.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Нет документа - нет человека

Although I like Heart of Dog better myself.

21. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Why not earlier?

22. Slitty

Slitty Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Russia
    I am torn as to what to read next. I want it to be something from the 19th century, and was thinking of the following list. Any suggestions?

Гончаров: Обломов
    Лесков: no idea
    Пушкин: Евгений Онегин
    Толстой: Война и мир (would be my third/fourth attempt)
    Тургенев: Отцы и дети

No time, adequate level of reading comprehension, or burning desire.

23. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Well, not to brag, but I've read all of the above and you really can't go wrong.

Oblomov is a fine book and I enjoyed reading it. Leskov is considered by many, along with Bunin and Turgenev, to possess the best written skill in Russian prose. His most notable short story is probably Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District, but most of his stuff is very enjoyable.

Eugene Onegen can be read in one sitting, even though it's a very long poem. It's simply beautiful.

I guess War and Peace is a must read for any Russian speaker, but I wouldn't call that work my top 3 Tolstoy novels. Still, you might as well read it.

I really really liked Fathers and Sons. I don't know why, but it was so well written and so deep on natural levels, I really enjoyed it.

Better late than never. Now go for Dni Turbinix.

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally something we agree on lately! :D

25. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I must correct myself about "Dni Turbinix." That is a play based on Bulgakov's "Belaya Gvardiya."