NSR-Iberian Penisula: Are Spainards and Portuguese related?

Discussion in 'Portugal: NSR' started by Catfish, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I curious if the Iberian Penisula was all one united country or group. I know that Portguese and Spanish are different languages, but they are both related. Just didn't know if genetically both countries are closer than everyone wants to admit.

I hope I didn't offend any Portuguese. This forum seems like a spot of sanity and respect in the crazy world that is Bigsoccer, so I know you will understand and post some great stuff.

2. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Not the same country but yes, we are closely related.

3. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Here is map of Pre-roman Iberia:

[​IMG]

These are all the old tribes of the peninsula. If you look at Lusitania, you will see that both Lisbon and Madrid would have been in the same province. Porto would have been in Galicia and so on.

Basically, time and crazy royal feuds have changed the languages.

4. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    OMG DUDE!

IT'S SPANIARDS! SPELL IT RIGHT OMG OMG OMG!

Just kiddin' ya! :D

Yeah, the whole story is sooo complicated.

Over the years there's a lot of other blood that's been spilled into the gene-pool, African, Italian, Moors, Spanish, enough to not want to keep track of it.

Finding out the exact make-up of Portuguese heritage in the purest form is like tracking done Adam and Eve, it's to a point between impossible and completely impossible.

I agree with the general census though, that we are somewhat closely related with Spanish.

Basically, we are a lot like Basque and Cataluna(if I misspelled those, my fault). The only difference is that we fought the borders and expanded our land.

Now about Iberia itself. Over the years there have been a lot of rumors about Portugal and Spain becoming united and calling it Iberia, same with the football leagues and all that, but we're still Portugal and Spain, and I think we're both better off that way.

Mostly because if we were called "Iberia," it'd sound a little more middle-eastern and it might cause George Bush to come take over.

5. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thank you very much for the map and explaination.

6. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
    great freakin map dude...it looks awsome

7. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Made a mistake, Madrid would be just outside but you get the gist of it

8. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal
    To talk about history, it would be very complicated... Spainish and Portuguese people are not the same... just imagine the Scots and the English, but if Scotish were independent... thats something like that...

Those difference were made over the centuries, because of several factors, like politics, language, etc... In true, Portugal could be tell as "with more lucky" than Catalonya and Pays Vasco"... and Galicia could be part of Portugal, due to thje closer links of the Galaico-Portugueses language...

Oh yeah, I'am talking to much... JUst dont do a thing, when you come to Portugal: Dont try to speack spanish. I would prefer if you speack russian or chinese. :D

9. Cilindro

Cilindro New Member

May 24, 2002
    The ethnic variations on the Iberian Peninsula aren´t very significant and exist between regions of the peninsula, not between Portugal and Spain. The only people of the Iberian Peninsula that are not related to the others are the basques.

10. Leao dos States

Leao dos States New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Scarsdale, NY
    :confused: Where is Spain?
    is that a city in Portugal?
    Just Wondering?
    Or is Spain Located in South America?
    I taught it was Puerto Rico?

Luso Americans will understand the top portion

:) To all Portuguese.

THERE IS ONLY TWO KINDS OF PEOPLE IN THE WORLD,
    PORTUGUESE
    AND THE WANNA BE'S

Portuguese American Club of Mount Vernon

11. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ^^
    You completly lost me in that post. But i love Puerto Rican Women so your forgiven!

But i have noticed some distict features between Spain and Portugal. People from spain are usually lighter...They also have different prefrences. In Portugal people have darker features and tend to go after morena's/moreno's(dark/brown),while in Spain they are more attracted to Lorias(blonde). They actually did a study that proved this as well!

...Spain seems more angry and snobish too(must be cause of the money).I always noticed that people from Portugal usually try to spend at least one day at the beach out of the week. Or get to a beach as often as possible. In Spain everything seems rush rush rush rush....

There are some distinct differences. I know in Portugal people have ALOT OF PRIDE, and we love our high powered Motorcycles. While in SPain i hardly ever see motercycles but see ton's of Mo - peds.

And lastly....we love FUTEBOL! We will play everywhere and anywhere at anytime. 2 trees and a tennis ball....Make the teams!Beach, futsal,pitch, gravel..futebol is like our religion!

Kids no older then 12 all have the dribbling skills of ronaldo, throwing it off walls, spinning in cirlces....screaming "ole" after every finta!

P.S: I hope i did not affend any spanairds in this post. Not all of yall are the same.

12. Cilindro

Cilindro New Member

May 24, 2002
    I am used to read a lot of false things about the portuguese people in this forums but this post is to much. Joelzinho, see leafster post to have an ideia of the peoples that lived in the Iberian Peninsula and their geographic location. Since when are the spanish "lighter" than the portuguese? Which spaniards and portuguese are you talking about? The andaluzians? The galicians and northern portuguese? The castillians? And our preferences are pretty much the same, women (blond or brunette (morena)), football and party with lots of alchool. No offense Joelzinho, but I don´t think you know much about Portugal or Spain.

13. Briosa a frente

Briosa a frente New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    While there is a slight difference in Language more (moorish influence). Leaving the tribal difference and similarities aside the difference between Portugal and Spain is the Same as The difference between Canada and the United States of America.
    heres is the Difference.
    Both Portuguese and Canadians are proud of there heratige but don not display it enough.
    Both Americans and Spanish are proud and ferverant about their nationality.

everthing else is a direvitive of that nationalistic pride.

14. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Freis, when i was there about 3 weeks ago. They did a study of Portugal and Spain. And they found that people from portugal prefered morenas alot more. While in Spain they prefered lorias.....

but of course if you see a pretty girl you see a pretty girl.

I also think that study says something about our country compared to Spains.

I apologize about the geographical part. Didnt read to much into that.

15. Cilindro

Cilindro New Member

May 24, 2002
    Actually both portuguese and castillian (in Spain people speak castillian, euskera, catalan and galician wich is almost the same as portuguese) have a lot of arab influenced words. In Andaluzia is where you can find the largest moorish influence since they were only expelled in the 15th century. Very nice place to go. And I completly agree with your comparison between USA/Canada and Portugal/Spain but in terms of blood and history I would compare us and the spaniards with the germans and austrians.

16. Cilindro

Cilindro New Member

May 24, 2002
    Joelzinho, that study dosen´t say nothing about Portugal or Spain. It only means that portuguese prefer brown or black haired women and spaniards prefer blond haired women. In reality i have my doubts about the accuracy of that study since southern europeans in general prefer blonds and northern europeans prefer brunettes (we usually like more what we have less).

17. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    i prefer an tan girl with nice eyes an italian at that but alof of my portuguese friends go out with either puerto ricans or spainiards so your right bro

18. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah thats kind of what i was talking about. We prefer people we a "tanned skin", not everyone of course. But i think Portugal is alot different then Spain in my opinion....

I also prefer darker women also. Dominicans, Ricans, Portuguese, Brasilians...and i've been eyeing those italien ladies lately also....ummm italiens!

19. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    yep hot and sexy i have a neighbour who looks exactly like monica bellucci

20. LuisCamoes

LuisCamoes Red Card

Jul 25, 2004
    Boston USA
    lol yes my cousin married a spaniard dont tell anyone :D

21. LuisCamoes

LuisCamoes Red Card

Jul 25, 2004
    Boston USA
    I dont know about perfering taned skin alot of people from the azores are pale as a mic, my avos included. Due to alot of dutch influence, ever wonder what those windmills came from hahah on the side do you know we get the name Helder from holland? Its a town over there.

22. LuisCamoes

LuisCamoes Red Card

Jul 25, 2004
    Boston USA
    man whered you get that im a history freak like you wouldnt beleive you rock!

23. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Very interesting analogy. I can live with that.

24. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What cities and clubs are in the area where the Celticos were? Just curious, being Irish and Spanish maybe that is where my ancestors originated from.
    Thanks for your time and effort.

25. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    The province of Galicia want to be part of Portugal as they should be. It would be great to have Celta and Deportivo in our league ;)