NSR: Basketball is back, NBA, NCAA, FIBA etc

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by Real Corona, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Westbrook and Durant are where its at

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Rose has played better than Westbrook.

3. crew92

crew92 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Pripyat, Ukraine
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the team we're fielding isnt even close to our A team. Only Durant and Rose would probably be on the team.

4. LokomotivZee

LokomotivZee Member

Aug 28, 2009
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you have to think 2 years into the future (our next A squad will be the 2012 Olympics). You have to think at least Westbrook sneaks onto that roster by then.

5. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    The "A" squad will be celebrating their second consecutive NBA title around that time...

6. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really think so? Frankly, I think the Heat are going to be one of the biggest flops in recorded sports history...

7. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Who knows. But, seriously, could you point me to an example of three (or two-and-a-half, if you'd like) dominant players on the same NOT winning a title?

8. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but that's assuming your two superstars, or two and a half, have at least an average supporting cast. Honestly, I wouldn't call the collection the Heat have dredged up average, at least as far as the makeup of a championship team goes.

9. LokomotivZee

LokomotivZee Member

Aug 28, 2009
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Z pointed out, its not the starters that will be trouble in Miami, its the fact they won't have anything resembling a title winning bench.

10. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Don't they have Udonis Hasslem and Chalmers return from last season's roster? Both are at least average. I would also consider Mike Miller, Jamaal Magloire, Joel Anthony, and Eddie House at least average. I am actually surprised how Riles managed to surround his three jewels with a serviceable roster.

Clearly, it is loaded with veterans who want to retire with a ring, like Juwon Howard and Zudrunas Ilgauskas (yes, Loko, we got him). This roster is built to win NOW. Next seasons we will concern ourselves with later.

11. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hasleem was already a starter on a title winning team (I think). Anyway he is good.

Mike Miller is good too. Mike Miller is perfect for the team. He could be a 6th man/starting shooter for any top team and contribute. I mean, Lebron rode Daniel Gibson to the NBA finals.

An example of 2 1/2-3 dominant players not winning the title are the 2009 celtics

12. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I don't know about you guys but this is the most excited I've bene for an upcoming NBA season since the Jordan years.

13. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have good reason, as I think Chicago is the darkhorse favorite this year, provided they can stay healthy.

14. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thunder are my darkhorse favorite, although I don't think they are darkhorse anymore.

Or they probably are because the media is so idiotic.

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US team is destroying Angola, with 6 minutes left they are up by 40. It's now up to Russia to create this forum's dream matchup.

The Sonics look like they'll have a good team next year. :cool:

16. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Damn Greeks threw the game and now we have no chance of getting past the QF.

17. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty decent game this Russia-Kiwis tilt - gonna go down to the wire.

18. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If NBA, or even Big 10 referees (who are known to swallow their whistles and let the boys play) were calling this game, every starter on both sides would have fouled out before the end of the 3rd quarter. These refs are really letting this one go - flying elbows everywhere.

19. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    You know, the size and strength of Russia finally told. Kiwis did not have the big bodies to protect the defensive rebound and, while Russia got second chances, Kiwis rarely did.

Perhaps, USA would have favored Kiwis, because the tall blacks can not stop the American offense, the Russians will certainly present a challenge. US should win by about 12-15 points but it will be a war down there for the duration of the match.

i do like the effort by Mozgov.

20. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I do not know about the Big 10 refs (I do not watch NCAA b-ball) but NBA refs call every ticky-tack foul. I like the FIBA refereeing much better. Yes, they let the players get away with much more but, it looks, they appear to be pretty fair. Can not ask much more.

21. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all for letting the boys play, as that's what B10 hoops is all about, but there were stretches in today's game that looked more MMA than championship basketball. Both teams really got chippy in the third quarter, throwing elbows everywhere, a couple even took swings at each other (no foul called on either occasion.) That's not basketball, that's street ball.

22. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Didn't they call an unsportsmanlike on a Russian player in a melee? Oftentimes, it is harder to call these fouls on FIBA players as fighting is not usually their intent. It was by far easier to call things similar to the Mourning - Johnson confrontation (the famous one with one of the Van Gundies attached to a combatant's foot) where fists are flying (however ineffectively)

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serbia wins in the last second against Spain, knocking out a hollow favorite for the title. Turkey is currently wiping the floor with Slovenia right now and look like the home crowd is really carrying them. They could be a dangerous opponent.

24. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    About to watch the Serbia highlights right now, huge win

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spain seemed like a paper tiger to me. Really labored up to this point and were missing many of their best players. I really think Turkey is team besides the US that could win the thing, or maybe Lithuania. Teams peaking at the right now.