NSR: Basketball 2.0

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by FootyFan365, Mar 6, 2011.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    As much as I enjoy the Appalachian State game, it was opening day and had no significance on the outcome of the season. It also wasn't a national spectacle - it was more shocking than anything else, but not in it of itself a great story. Flutie's hail mary was also in a fairly meaningless bowl game. That's why it's so hard to top Clark's catch from Montana, or Valvano running around like crazy, Laettner's shot against Kentucky, and of course the Miracle on Ice. You need the game to mean something.

2. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    But at the end of the day it was one of the most memorable plays in college football history, to this day it is still relevant.

3. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes Miracle on Ice Quality. You are a moron. Wow.

Ironically Wikipedia says the spread was 27 points. It says the USC Stanford game was 41 points, the biggest in history. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Appalachian_State_vs._Michigan_football_game
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Stanford_vs._Southern_California_football_game

The Appalachia state was arguably not even the biggest upset in college football that season. Appalachian state won the I-AA national championship. LOL.

You do know in 2007 Stanford was playing USC which had won 35 straight home games. Stanford was 1-11 the previous season, 1-3 on the year, without their starting QB.

I don't even know why I bother replying to you, you're a joke.

4. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Oh, so every athlete who goes on despite an injury is a "huge story". Surely, Willis Reed coming back with a torn up leg muscle to play the seventh game of the 1970 NBA finals is a far bigger story.

You wanted a big story, right?

5. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Actually, Michigan's season was pretty much done after that. The pre-season #1 team finished with something like a 3-9 record.

6. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    LOL yea huge homer when like 5 different national level writers basically said the same thing. Jesse Owens was the only other story that would've been as great that you guys brought up. Sorry being a homer putting it as 2nd best story when it actually would've been 3rd best of all time lol :rolleyes: Huge character flaws for anyone happy about Butler losing last night. You are a F*G!!!

Hahaha my buddies friend was the guy that returned the block all the way to the 1 yd line and got tackled. That was a memorable game for sure, but now g74 is trying to argue that Michigan went 3-9 that season cause App St just destroyed the PRESEASON #1's mojo?? hahaha...

Did you watch the game last night? What a nightmare, nice guys finish last, cheaters finish 1st :( Uconn sucked too, don't know what was wrong with Butler. Shot 3-for-31 from 2's and couldn't rebound and get loose balls the way they had done before last night. They looked intimidated and confused by Uconn's length, and pressure finally got to them something that never happens to them :( This was a big loss for the NCAA, there's very few schools that embody what college athletics is all about, their 2 Champions Auburn and UConn are surrounded by scandals and sanctions. Nightmare...

7. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    They weren't the preseason #1, they were in the top 5. It was a shock, yes, but it'll be mostly forgotten in 10 years the same way that the Kordell Stewart - Westbrook hail mary has been mostly forgotten.

That's always your reasoning - oh yeah, like 3 guys in the media agree with me, I must be right!!111!!!! If they said anything like that (which I've seen no proof of), they're wrong too. Just like your claims that Reggie Miller is clearly better than Ray Allen since he's a guaranteed first ballot Hall of Famer. Oh wait, no, not because of that, because SLAM magazine said so. Because if there's anyone we should trust, it's SLAM magazine.

Eloquent as always! Because if someone disagrees with footy, that must mean they're gay. You've certainly convinced me :rolleyes:
    By the way, I guess this means Indiana basketball still means choking, unless you can find an Ohio State alum to coach them.

8. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're referring to Villanova over Georgetown in '85, right? Now THAT was an epic game, and you're right, if you are looking for epic upsets that rival Miracle on Ice, that's gotta be right up there. The Hoyas were huge favorites to win that game that nite. Never seen a shooting exhibition, college, pro, international, any level, like that night.

I'd rank '83 NC State's buzzer beater win off of that horrible Derek Whittenberg shot over Phi Slamma Jamma a pretty epic upset as well - much bigger than any I've seen suggested here so far.

9. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep, and that's why, as big of a deal as it was during the non-conf part of the season, for me it became just another upset as the season wore on. Michigan, Big Blue football, storied program and the like, yeah, sure, but they quite simply were just a bad football team that year. A good I-AA program beating a bad football team from a BCS conference, that's just not that big of a story (trust me- I've seen it twice in the last three years, thanks coach Brew!)

10. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Brain fart - I was referring to NCState over Houston, not Nova over Georgetown. Both were much bigger wins. Butler's run was nice, but compared to beating a team with Hakeem and Clyde (!!!) or Nova's takedown of Ewing two years alter, this isn't close. Who's the best player Butler faced all season - Kemba Walker? As impressed as I am that they've managed to lose the national title game by only 15 points against a player destined to be Bobby Jackson mark 3712, meh. Nice run, good effort, nothing more to see here.

11. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    You are a F*G cause you said you are happy Butler lost. You singled it out, but it actually belonged with the previous sentence, that 'you have a huge character flaw for being happy about last night.' Don't think much into it, just realize that's what it is.

btw its spelled Ohio $tate, and they were the only team that choked this year actually.

12. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    and Kazuma dogging NCAA ball after March Madness again showed how special it is??? Wow straight bonehead comment lol give me a break haha. Just because the biggest of underdogs fell flat in the Title Game?? Its one thing if it was a powerhouse matchup, and one team put in that kind of performance, then saying what he did somewhat makes sense :rolleyes: Fantastic tourney games, with the passion and drama basketball is meant to have, but I guess its all for naught since the NBA fans tune into the Title Game once a year and it didn't live up to the hype for them lol

Butler sets an example for every person, its beyond just sport at this point. Its very sad they didn't get a Title these 2 years to go down in history the way they ought to be remembered. For all the great work they did and overcoming almost insurmountable obstacles, but the journey to get there was special and will never be forgotten. Constantly proving critics wrong with that little bit of something you can't quite put your finger on, just know that IT exists. They do things the right way and they persevere together as a team. I couldn't be more proud of them, even though I'm still disgusted with what happened last night. That's something stubborn jackass NBA fans just have no idea what it means lol

13. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Why do I have a huge character flaw for preferring Butler lost? (Disagreeing with you isn't a character flaw. Nor, incidentally, is being gay.) The only reason I was happy Butler lost is because you're such an unbelievable douchebag about them and Indiana basketball in general. That's the same reason I make fun of the T-Wolves; I don't actually care about them, it's just a reaction to Zenit's hagiography of David Kahn. If you hadn't been such a massive toolshed about Butler, I might well have been cheering them on.
    So, to sum up, I don't dislike Butler. I dislike your stupidity. Hope that clears it up.

Oh my God, that is so clever! I never thought of replacing an S with a $ sign. Wow! But that totally makes sense, after all, Thad Matta is famous for recruiting and other violations. Wait, what? He's not? Oh, that's right. But hey - congratulations on winning.....wait, what did Butler win this year again?

14. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I know this is an adult board, but I don't think we should be putting up images of someone giving Butler a massively sloppy blow job. It's just gross.
    Incidentally, the only disgusting thing last night was Butler's shooting. That was appalling. I'm shocked there are any windows left near the arena after all the bricks they threw up.

15. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Hahahahahaha, you think about me that much?? I called you a F*G not in the literal sense, but your infatuation with me and cheering against one of the greatest underdog stories ever told rests my case, YOU HAVE A HUGE CHARACTER FLAW

Butler were 2500-to-1 underdogs to win the tourney, they got to the Championship game. We are all proud of them, they embody everything that is right about sports. In the meantime keep being a hater, I'll be going to Hinkle now to welcome back our boys, cheers!

16. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't like NCAA ball because for all the hype and people promoting it, I don't see anything appealing about it other than having a tie to a school. Understandable, but good lord this game was the best reason why NCAA ball isn't all that. So many missed shots by Butler that even Darko Milic thought that Butler sucked.

This wasn't falling flat, this was just a perfect example of garbage.

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    I only think about you when I see Butler. Which is..once a year or so. So yeah, I guess I think of you once a year. :confused: It's not one of the greatest underdog stories, either. There have been tons better, especially ones that won. Butler had a nice run. They lost to a better team after playing a horrific game. That's all there is to it. As for what you do with your spare time - doesn't bother me in the slightest.
    Incidentally, apparently all the Indiana schools are "your boys" - must be pretty easy finding a school that does well, even if it is Indiana. I'll stick with cheering for the two schools I actually went to - and without making outlandish claims about them. Because I'm sane, and stuff.

18. crew92

crew92 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Pripyat, Ukraine
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Michigan lost to App St they had a decent season and finished 9-4 not 3-9. They beat Florida (top 10 team) in the Cap 1 bowl that year. They were ranked 5 pre season not #1.

19. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Check out what wikipedia wrote about the Michigan - App State game:

"In what was hailed as one of the biggest upsets in the history of American sports, the Mountaineers shocked the fifth-ranked Wolverines 34–32. It was the first win ever by a team in Division I FCS (I-AA) over a "ranked" team in Division I FBS (I-A) since the NCAA split its Division I into two football subdivisions in 1978. The game has been referred to by one sports writer as the Miracle in Michigan"

This was huge.

20. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Yes, they went 3-9 the following season. I stand corrected.

21. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank God someone has some facts.

22. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Look, little makes me happier than Michigan being embarrassed in almost any way, but you're starting to sound like footy (and yes, that's a grave insult). At the time, of course it was a huge upset, and people being shortsighted, that's how they wrote about it. And the fact that one person refers to it as the "Miracle in Michigan" - miracle for who? It was ultimately a meaningless game that was a big upset. A few years later, it's still a big underdog victory, but nothing comparable to the Lake Placid game or NcState/Nova in the Final 4.

23. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are an idiot. A ********ing moron. A complete skull ******** that needs to be hit harder. No September college football game between an eventual Capital One Bowl v. I-AA team matters as much as a game between a Cold War United States v. Soviet Union in an Olympic Sport between Amateurs and Professionals.

24. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    What's a skull *******?

25. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I originally said you're a skull f--ing moron. Who needs to be skull f' --ed harder.

But it censored more than I thought it would. Looking back on it, saying sk f'd less would have more made sense.