NSR: Basketball 2.0

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by FootyFan365, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missed it, but heard it was bad.

But I guess its a good thing if he is expected to perform against the Heat now. Shows how far the Knicks have come in 2 weeks

2. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Chalmers did a great job on him.

3. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I should have said Asian-American. Basically my belief--and I've talked to a few Asian friends about this--is that most Asians here in the States couldn't really identify with Yao that much because he was such a genetic rarity. And there have been a couple of other guys as well like Wang and guy who was drafted by New Jersey a couple of years ago, but these guys were both above 6"9 if I'm not mistaken. I mean what's the average height for an Asian male in the states, like 5"7? :D

So with Lin it's different because he speaks fluent English with an American accent, went to school in the States, and isn't that much taller than your average guy. Asians across the world can identify more with Lin's story in my opinion, and that may be a large part of the mania.

Yeah the Asian population in San Jose is just incredible. You walk into a Costco by the SJ Airport, and 80% of the customers are Asian and speaking Vietnamese, Tagalog or Chinese. A couple of years ago some relatives from Utah visited my family in Cali for the first time, and they were just totally blown away by the diversity. :D

4. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    It was all fun and games until they got on the road...

5. LokomotivZee

LokomotivZee Member

Aug 28, 2009
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mario Chalmers D-ed him the 'f' up.

Lin is the total antithesis of the way I played PG, and thus I don't really like watching him. Freaking turnover machine, shoot first player, ZERO floor command.

He'll be fine through regular season. Once the playoffs start (provided the Knicks get in), and teams actually start playing D, hes going to totally vanish.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey that sounds like how I played basketball, add in Shaq like free throw ability and I guess I could play in the NBA.

7. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    Completely agree. The guy has terrible decision making and average vision.

8. MaxV

MaxV Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Lin is also just a 2nd year player.

I agree that hype on him was unrealistic, but I still think he will be a good NBA PG.

9. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    To me Lin looks like a small SG that brings the ball up for the lack of a true PG.

10. LokomotivZee

LokomotivZee Member

Aug 28, 2009
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Lin is going to really make it in the league, its going to be as a 6th man combo-guard.

He lacks the vision and distribution instinct to be a #1 PG, and he isn't a true SG. He could, provided he improves, be a player like Kirk Hinrich.

11. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched some of the Warriors at Atlanta last night and that was certainly some of the worst NBA basketball I've seen in a long time. I expect the Warriors to be bad, but Joe Johnson was the furthest thing from a star last night.

12. Drake44444

Drake44444 Member

Jul 5, 2008
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice bag Lebron

[​IMG]

13. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't suppose that's just his shaving kit, huh?

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly he's been hanging out with all the Russians in South Beach.

Milevsky might have bought him that.

15. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Wade looks like he lost a bet and is carrying LeBron's bag.

16. MaxV

MaxV Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Footy, Pacers got Barbosa.

I don't know what to think. They didn't give up a lot for him, but does this team need another scorer?

17. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Warriors traded Monta Ellis to Milwaukee as well to get Andrew Bogut. Not really sure what to think of it to be honest.

18. Chacal

Chacal Member

Oct 11, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone watching March Madness? Not a huge college B-Ball fan myself, but still fun to see a few upsets like Duke and Missouri.

19. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Been out of the loop for the past week, just saw last night. Only a 2nd Rd pick right? Why not? We have really taken some steps back with that losing streak right before the all star break.

Missed almost all of it so far. Heard Purdue blew it vs. Kansas. Purdue ALWAYS plays the high seeds tough in the 2nd Rd when their a mid seed and never wins it, always heartbreak. Beat Miami in '99 as a 7 seed but Miami is a weak inexperienced 2 seed (like Mizzou this year) so doesn't even count.

'98 Kansas
    '03 Texas
    '07 Florida
    '08 Xavier
    '12 Kansas

All those were sick teams Purdue battled to the end and just couldn't get over the hump. Feel awful for Hummel, heard he played lights out. Great kid, wish they could've won it for him :(

20. MaxV

MaxV Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Footy, the issue with the Pacers isn't depth, it's defensive intensity.

I hope they turn it on for the playoffs, because they've been very inconsistant with it during the regular season.

And they seem to have capable individual defenders at every position, but something doesn't always click. Perhaps it's coaching.

21. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Just a young team going through a tough fast paced season. They don't have the swagger they had earlier in the season. The defense will be there in the Playoffs for sure, just like it was last year.

But its a huge blow losing Feisty Foster, sad to see him go out like that :( he was such a good rebounder and savvy on both ends of the floor. Big blow for our chances to win a Playoff series imo, the intangibles that he brought to the team meant sooo much you can't look at stats with this guy. Shame he played through injury cause he was really useful to have as a veteran, smart smart player...

We did get Fesenko from my hometown which is pretty cool :D last year Potapenko was our assistant and now Fesenko is on the floor lol. Only fitting the leagues Ukrainians go to the Blue & Gold :D

22. rbubela

rbubela Member

Feb 17, 2009
    NorCal
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I may have told the story here, or maybe most have heard it.

When Fosenko was going through the draft workouts one scout asked him to, "put the ball on the floor and drive to the rim." So Fosenko did what was told and placed the ball on the floor and sprinted to the rim.

Anyway, Potepenko is a cool dude. When he was riding the bench in Sacto with Sergey Monya a few years back, me and a few buddies came out, snapped some picks, chatted it up before the game and gave em a good heckling after warm-ups and during the game. I remember when I went back to Ukraine in '99, everyone thought that Potepenko was the sh*t, lol.

23. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Potapenko did have a few starts in Cleveland, I think.

24. FootyFan365

FootyFan365 Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Indy
    Club:
    FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Yea I talked to him after a game last year too, he's a cool dude. The Pacers arena has a bar back where the Pacers locker room is with big glass windows, so you get to see some of the players walk by after games (sometimes they even come in). Well I was drunk and when I saw Potapenko I went out of the bar in the hallway and he was cool enough to stop and talk to him for a bit. Real chill and good guy. He was a decent player for the Cavs and Celitcs for a few years though wasn't he?

Nothing beats my dad interrupting Alexander Volkov shooting pregame free throws at my first ever Pacers game ever in 1991 to come talk to us and sign my Volkov trading card. My dad in his deep Russian accent, 'Ey, Sasha!' (Volkov looks left to us at the bench while he was going through his free throw routine knees bent and all) and my dad just waved his finger for him to come like he fully expected him to while slightly looking away annoyed he has to even call him over or something lollllll hilarious!

Then after that, my dad was so confident he told my brother it was ok for him to walk on the court while the Pacers were doing lay up drills and get Detlef Shrempf to sign his 6th Man of the Year trading card lol, will never forget Detlef's face. Can you imagine that happening now??!! Prolly can't even do that at a high school gym now hahaha ridic! my first sports event too i was like 7 :D

25. Dimuha

Dimuha Member

Oct 18, 2007
    northpole Chicago
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    You and your awesome memorable stories...