NSCAA v. USSF

Discussion in 'Coach' started by nogsl coach, Apr 30, 2007.

1. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I was the trainer at Brooklyn college in my younger days when they had An A division team. Years later they asked me if I want to coach their mens and girls teams. They had heard I retired from coaching at my club team. I had no interest in doing it.

It was not even going to be A div teams anymore. But they did ask me what USSF license I had.

2. Coach_Hayles

Coach_Hayles Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Redmond, WA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Completed my NSCAA Level 6 this weekend. All good things. Lots of practical, hands-on training. Plenty of advice and encouragement. No real sign of any ego from the coaches running the course or the coaches attending. Knees are a little sore from all the activity but I'd recommend it to anyone.

Plenty of English/Scottish accents there too, to make me feel at home.

3. agnzls

agnzls New Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I want to apologize ahead if it offends anyone that I'm reviving an old thread but I have a question regarding the differences in the licenses and I didn't see the point in starting a new thread.
    I'm wanting to get into coaching, and I have aspirations to eventually coach at the college level. I'm 25 and working on finishing my bachelor's in mathematics, so that will probably open the door for me to coach high school, and hopefully that will help as a springboard. So my question is this; which licenses would I be better off pursuing? The NSCAA or USSF? I love education but I also love saving money, go figure, so I'd rather invest in the one that has the most "bang for the buck" if it's possible.
    What doors does one open that the other doesn't and vice versa?
    Any advice/info is greatly appreciated.

4. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No one ever asked me what NSCAA course do I have. I have been asked what USSF licence I have. But that was only from people who did not already know what I have done in the sport.

5. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Colleges accept both. Most college ADs will not know the difference between the two.

It may not be a question of cost but more of availability. Some states are "hotter" for NSCAA than others or you might be in the wrong side of the state to make it convenient.

Coach to coach, probably doesn't matter. A DOC will judge you on your coaching ability.

Coach to general public, USSF will probably carry more cache.

6. agnzls

agnzls New Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Do some organizations have a preference over another? Say, a club league or academies?

7. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    It varies depending on where you are. Some state organizations require a specific licence to coach at certain levels. (There are 50+ state youth organizations just counting USYSA.) Some clubs have policies too. But the problem is that few volunteers want to spend the time to get even the lowest license, so it is difficult to strictly enforce a license requirement. So any kind of training for volunteer coaches is generally seen as a plus.

Every few years the details change, but right now the lowest USSF license is "National E," which is taught by the local state youth organization. Sometimes your local club will pay the fees.

8. Dakota Soccer

Dakota Soccer Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I teach courses for both organizations, so I feel I have a pretty objective voice. As a candidate I enjoyed the philosophy and culture of the NSCAA, but in all honesty the USSF licensing system will get you the furthest in the club and professional ranks. The USSF Development Academy requires a Federation A license to be a head coach, US Youth Soccer requires a Federation A License to coach in the ODP system, US Youth Region II requires a Federation C License to be on the sidelines of all Midwest Regional League games now.

College it's a wash, athletic directors will hire and fire based on previous experience and results like any other sport.

Several clubs value the NSCAA diploma system, but pretty much every youth club and organization recognizes the USSF licensing system.

There's a new issue with all of this now too. The Federation has drastically revamped all of it's licensing curriculum and requirements. They've increased the hours required for each license, and the elements needed to pass. So now the USSF does not recognize the NSCAA diploma system any longer. Supposedly this past year was the last year USSF would allow coaches holding a Premier Diploma to jump directly into the B license. Because of the changes the curriculum is very different now between the C license and the National Diploma; they really don't translate across anymore.