NSCAA v. USSF

Discussion in 'Coach' started by nogsl coach, Apr 30, 2007.

1. nogsl coach

nogsl coach New Member

Feb 14, 2007
    USSF vs NSCAA

Have taken all of my state offered soccer courses.U6-U8,U9-U12,state D,took my D twice as i could not get a national pass,failed the 2nd time also,I have found in my state of ohio it is like a good ole boys club, if you know someone or you played for one of the instructors you will get your national,but if you never played for oysan or ohio ODP you have a hard road.plus i have tattoos and thats not cool with old school coaches.So i went to NSCAA took there National Diploma,got a disquinish pass.My question is what are your experiances and which is better?I played semi-pro 8 years half of my instuctors in ohio never played that,The reason i failed my national D was ,I didnot give good instructions during my stoppages.I had all adult players and basically i ask them was that the proper desicion,they gave me the correct anwser so i went on.I dont know but at this point ill never take a state course again.

2. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Re: USSF vs NSCAA

I have heard that USSF likes you to be a good player but that NSCAA only cares if you can coach. I have a USSF national D. Never taken any NSCAA courses.

3. loghyr

loghyr ex-CFB

Jul 11, 2006
    Tulsa

If you feel that you need some closure from USSF, why don't you take the National C license course? Since they are taught by National instructors and even if the Ohio instructors were nationals, you could take the tests elsewhere, getting the C would rule out any possible bias from the good ole boy network.

From http://www.ussoccer.com/coaches/schools/index.jsp.html
    “D” License certification may be waived under one of the following conditions:

Applicant received the NSCAA National Diploma and has held it for a minimum of 12 months

Which seems to equate the National Diploma with the "D" National license.

Having said that, is it the paper or the coach behind the paper which is important?

Would having the National D or C change your ability to coach?

Have you used anything from the D license courses you attended?

How about the National Diploma?

I think you will find that the answer to your question depends on the coach replying to you. Everyone will have their own opinions on the licenses. Just like they do on ODP.

4. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston

At NSCAA, you are not graded on your playing ability.
    At National "C", you are graded on your playing ability but it does not factor inot whether you pass or not.
    At National "B" and "A", you are graded on your playing ability and it does factor into whether you pass or not.

The content across the courses is very similar and both are chocked with info.

Because the USSF is the recognized soccer body for the United States, the USSF has a perception of being more prestigious, but having any National License is a great achievement. Passing for your National Diploma is a great accomplishment.

And I have seen plenty of old-boy networks on both USSF and NSCAA sides - the old-boys network is reality across all levels of coaching, and not just in soccer.

5. nogsl coach

nogsl coach New Member

Feb 14, 2007
    USSF vs NSCAA

I think think they need to redo this chart !!!!!!! License Conversion
    Candidates who have completed the equivalent of the minimum coaching requirement
    from a foreign country or another organization such as NSCAA can have their license
    converted to the USSF equivalent.
    The table below shows the NSCAA equivalent to the United States Soccer Federation License

USSF License convert to NSCAA License

1) USSF ""A"" License
    Premier Diploma

2) USSF ""B"" License
    Advanced National Diploma

3) USSF ""C"" License
    National Diploma

4) USSF ""D"" License
    Advanced Regional Diploma

5) USSF ""E"" Certificate
    Regional Diploma

6) US Youth Soccer Youth Module
    State Diploma

This is straight from our state DOC and its not true because if i only have my advanced regional,i cant go take my C,If i have my National Diploma then i am eligible to Take my C.

1)national A
    2)national B = Premier NSCAA
    3)national C = Advanced National NSCAA
    4)national D = Natonal NSCAA
    5)state D = Advanced regonal NSCAA
    6)U9-12 = regional NSCAA
    7)U6-8 = State NSCAA

This is actually how it works. Any comments on why They Just dont get it right arent they both here for the same reason to make us better coaches!!!!!!

6. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The licenses convert to what your State DOC says.

However, USSF does not want people jumping ahead in the their curriculum by using other education forums. They want to see a "C Level" course [i.e. Nationa Diploma] before taking their "C" License.

Thread closed.

7. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    NSCAA Questions

I hope this isn't a repeat thread, but I had a few questions on the NSCAA courses.

There's the
    State Diploma
    Regional Diploma
    Advanced Regional Diploma
    National Diploma
    Advanced National Diploma
    Premier Diploma

now, in the USSF A-G courses, they have to be taken in order, but from what I understand on the website, can you go straight in and take the Advanced Regional Diploma without having taken the State or Regional Diploma??

I also wanted to know more or less the setup of the courses. I'm guessing that the Regional Course is done over two days and that the Advanced Diploma is 4 days (2 weekends)???

Thanks for the help.

8. nogsl coach

nogsl coach New Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Why does the USSF have such a problem with the NSCAA? No matter who i talk to in the USSF they seem to have a problem with the NSCAA but when i talk to the NSCAA they have no problems with the USSF,and i even notice it.I was a division 1 college player but only made it to the semi's and the USSF thinks different of me because i was never pro.What is really going on?who is better to get licensed through?Why do some states say this NSCAA diploma is equal to this USSF license and others say it is not?Who do i believe and what would everyone recommened?I have my National D and my National Diploma.I enjoy the NSCAA courses much more because they seem more coach driven and the USSF seem more Professional Player driven.But being a professional doesnot mean i would make a good coach.Which should i continue with?

9. nogsl coach

nogsl coach New Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Re: NSCAA Questions

Go to the NSCAA website.. The state is a 5-6 hour course the regional is 2 days and the advanced regional is 1 extra day put all 3 together to equal the national d. the national diploma is the same length as the national C.

10. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Why the problem NSCAA VS USSF

You shouldn't just be going for the licenses. You should go for the education. And, it's up to you to determine who gives the better education.

It doesn't matter which you continue with. If you make it to the highest levels of either, you'll be ready to try the highest levels of the other.

Or, just go get your UEFA B and A after that. And, it won't matter what other licenses you have. :)

BTW, I've hear fantastic things about the NSCAA courses, and I loved some of their special topics sessions.

11. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House

ok cool

and you have to start with the State Diploma first then?

Because on the website it says

so would that mean that I can take the Advanced REgional and it covers the REgional course AND the extra 8 hours to make it 'advanced regional'???

12. nogsl coach

nogsl coach New Member

Feb 14, 2007

Yes the advanced also includes the regional but you will only get the advanced regional diploma not the regional,I found the course very informational.

13. nogsl coach

nogsl coach New Member

Feb 14, 2007

I guess maybe i was mis leading.I dont care what license or diploma a coach has or even if they have one,My major question is why is there such a big problem between thw NSCAA and the USSF?

14. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There isn't a problem. These are two different organizations with different views on how to achieve the same goals. I don't see the big issue here.

15. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Well, there is definitely an "issue". We have a real hodgepodge of organizations trying to be the soccer body in the US, and I think it comes down to money, prestige, ego, and grabbing players more than it is about creating the best coaches. I think the potential vibrancy of the American game should be our distinctive strength, and so I'm more bemused by the whole thing, but even here in Maryland, where the NSCAA is fairly strong, our state organization (which I think is pretty lame in comparison to what I hear of other state organizations) does not give equal weight to NSCAA qualifications.

16. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston

Question: were you looking for some sort of waiver to take a National Coaching course prior to the required wait or skip a licensing course due to your former playing career?

Who says you have to choose? Why not attend both - I first got my USSF National "C". I then went and got my USSF National "B". Then I went and got my NSCAA Advanced National Diploma. I enjoyed both organizations courses.

That being said - I will be going for my National "A" before I would go for my Premier Diploma, but I will eventually get to both. So based on my getting my "C" and "B" first, and going for my "A" first and then go for my Premier, I guess that says I choose USSF first, but not exclusively.

Good luck!

17. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The USSF and NSCAA do not compete for players. The only "player" factor here is the USSF's method of advancing former professionals. Other than that, it is all about the approach to accreditation. The USSF spends a lot of energy on evaluating and formatting a coach's image and technique. The NSCAA spend an equal amount of time teaching and helping coaches achieve the required level of competency.

They are very, very different in terms of teaching and evaluating - which is why NOT ALL licenses cross over. I'm pretty sure ANYONE could get their Advanced National Diploma from the NSCAA. Nonetheless, some have realized that not everyone can get a USSF National D on their first try.

I don't see this as a problem at all.

18. nogsl coach

nogsl coach New Member

Feb 14, 2007

No not at all i dont think there should be any waivers just because you were a good player doesnt mean you would make a good coach.

19. nogsl coach

nogsl coach New Member

Feb 14, 2007

The problem does not exist with the license itself the national c is comparable to the national diploma,everyone i have ever talked to says the same,and as for anyone can get the advanced national in my national diploma half of the people didnt pass.I believe the courses are very comparable all the way to the A and premier the issue is why does the USSF put down the NSCAA even my state doc said this to me.I just want everyones opinion on this.It seems so far that if a USSF only is replying they say that there not comparable.In my State the USSF is a good ole boys club if you were not a pro or played for these coaches you couldnt even get your national D.In my D course 1 National D was given and guess what they didnot have to come to the testing day the instructor advised them they would give them a private assesment oh and they played for these same coaches as a kid?Kinda makes you wonder.....

20. nogsl coach

nogsl coach New Member

Feb 14, 2007

I agree both are good i am not partial the problem i have is most are,I was told My national Diploma is nothing that i need to get my C to have a real license...

21. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston

Okay, now that is crazy. Would you feel comfortable saying what state you are from?

Your National Diploma is not nothing - it is something you clearly worked hard at. And the knowledge you got from the courses is yours forever.

Just my opinion of course, but I believe that the USSF courses do hold more perceived weight when you look on a piece of paper to people. That is because it is our country's federation. I recommend people to take USSF first if they are very serious about coaching, especially at higher levels - but only for the fact that the perception is there - not because the content is exclusively better.

But that does not mean if you do not take a USSF course, then taking NSCAA courses will offer you zero benefit, and be perceived as a complete waste of your time, and thus you won't have "real" information or a "real" license.

Are you asking about having a "real" license to interview for a job, etc? In that case, like I said, on paper - people may look at a USSF license as holding more weight. But that may only factor into higher level positions.

I am unsure of your specific situation.

22. nogsl coach

nogsl coach New Member

Feb 14, 2007

I also have my National D,Have a job just wondering what everyone else thinks..

23. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Look, I'm closing this thread down b.c it's pointless.

If you want to know why the USSF reps [in your area] think a certain way about the NSCAA, you should contact the USSF or the NSCAA [reps in your area]. You shouldn't be asking for the opinions of stiffs on the board.

Maybe someone who is associated with the groups could PM you. But, to my knowledge, no one hear has ever stated that fact.

As it stands, these threads are little more than opinions and hearsay about what people supposedly feel. It's no good for anyone to see this kind of debate. There aren't even any concrete reasons "why" you think the two wouldn't like each other.

End of.

24. nogsl coach

nogsl coach New Member

Feb 14, 2007
    I Dont Know What The Problem Is..i Just Want Everyones Opionion On What They Think Or What They Feel,i Already Know Yours It Is Ussf And Why Do Our National Teams Suck????ussf Is Not Always Right..i Am Entitled To My Opionion And I Am Also Asking For Others..why Would Someone Close My Thread Unless They Just Dont Like It.it Was My Thread And I Wanted To Know How People Felt!!!!!!!

25. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Nscaa Vs Ussf

Actually, I like the NSCAA better. And, I am friends with people in the USSF system. Imagine that?

If this thread turns into "Why the USSF doesn't like NSCAA", it will be locked again.

Also, if you're that interested in a good debate, you could take the time to make your posts visually decipherable.