Alert: NSC Minnesota Stars @ Carolina RailHawks, Wed Aug 17, 7 pm

Discussion in 'Carolina RailHawks' started by railhawksfan, Aug 16, 2011.

  1. railhawksfan

    railhawksfan Member

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks


    [​IMG]
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    @ Carolina RailHawks
    Wed Aug 17, 2011, 7:00 pm
    [​IMG]

    This is really our boogie team with a lot of bad blood between the players stemming from recent matches. Let's keep a cool head and just win this one.

    Also, a fond goodbye to the "Keeper of the Beat" from all TSF members. Good luck in Boston big guy!


  2. teucer

    teucer Member

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Country:
    United States
    We haven't lost at home since the opener, but MN's one of three teams to beat us so far and the only team we haven't beaten yet this season. It's gonna be a tough one.
  3. Paintking

    Paintking New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2010
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    I hope someone out there can give me some perspective. I'm a regular Hawks fan, been going to games sporadically since the team started. But last night’s game was my first of the regular season. I really expected to see a much better team considering their record. I know they have cooled off a bit since the first half of the season, and that Rusin left and now Rennie is gonna be gone after this season. But honestly, the Hawks didn't impress me at all last night.

    I will say that the Hawks clearly had superior players on the field. Particularly on offense I saw brief glimpses of real talent from Barbara, Campos, and Zimmerman. But it really looked like they thought their inflated egos were going to win the game for them, especially Barbara. He made maybe 3 to 6 great plays and could have easily scored (except for an excellent stop by the keeper), maybe a dozen more above average plays. Outside of that there was an incredible amount of walking around and wild gesticulations of frustration with himself, his team mates, and the ref (whose calls were general pretty good).

    Even though they had less talent Minnesota played well and could have easily won with a tad more luck. If not for Low's goal line desperation clearance in the first few minutes the Hawks would have played the whole game from behind (or maybe it would have woken them up to play to their potential instead).

    Way too many long balls and errant passes, one give away after another. Defense was sort of on again off again. Sometimes the defense looked pretty good. Other times it looked like only half of the team had any commitment to getting back and marking up.

    On the positive side Watson, Steele, Knighton, and Low all had average or above games. Steele was probably the best player on the field last night and played both ends pretty well. Elenio and Farber played well off the bench. Except for the aforementioned moments of brilliance, most everyone else was forgettable or below average.
  4. Paintking

    Paintking New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2010
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    (Sorry for the double post, I cant seem to take it back)
    I hope someone out there can give me some perspective. I'm a regular Hawks fan, been going to games sporadically since the team started. But last night’s game was my first of the regular season. I really expected to see a much better team considering their record. I know they have cooled off a bit since the first half of the season, and that Rusin left and now Rennie is gonna be gone after this season. But honestly, the Hawks didn't impress me at all last night.

    I will say that the Hawks clearly had superior players on the field. Particularly on offense I saw brief glimpses of real talent from Barbara, Campos, and Zimmerman. But it really looked like they thought their inflated egos were going to win the game for them, especially Barbara. He made maybe 3 to 6 great plays and could have easily scored (but for an excellent save by Min.'s keeper), maybe a dozen more above average plays. Outside of that there was an incredible amount of walking around and wild gesticulations of frustration with himself, his team mates, and the ref (whose calls were general pretty good).

    Even though they had less talent Minnesota played well and could have easily won with a tad more luck. If not for Low's goal line desperation clearance in the first few minutes the Hawks would have played the whole game from behind (or maybe it would have woken them up to play to their potential instead).

    Way too many long balls and errant passes, one give away after another. Defense was sort of on again off again. Sometimes the defense looked pretty good. Other times it looked like only half of the team had any commitment to getting back and marking up.

    On the positive side Watson, Steele, Knighton, and Low all had average or above games. Steele was probably the best player on the field last night and played both ends pretty well. Elenio and Farber played well off the bench. Except for the aforementioned moments of brilliance, most everyone else was forgettable or below average.


  5. railhawksfan

    railhawksfan Member

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    I was not at the game and so I do not know how to manage your expectations with the team. Any team can have a bad game or a few bad games. I think it is safe to say that in all but three games at home that I have missed, the propensity has been to play the deep ball in Campos' direction and have him hold it up while the wide forwards make muscular runs into the box. Nurse and Watson both play more with a defensive mindset. I have read interviews with Barbara and he prefers the deep ball approach. Given his skill level and record, I am not arguing.

    Both Barbara and Steele are fiery guys and I like them that way. Nothing wrong with getting frustrated if things are not going well as long as the players are doing their best.

    Also, we are not exactly cheering for Barcelona here. It is what it is. We play better soccer than any other NASL team and that is a fact. So, last night was not great. Well so what? We got a point against our boogie team and look forward to Saturday.
  6. CHHSfan

    CHHSfan Member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2010
    Location:
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Country:
    United States
    I think last night was uglier than our earlier games. For our hot streak, we played the long ball along with possession play, and tonight we felt more one dimensional. We've also gotten thin on the defensive side, and hopefully add depth there so McManus or Elenio can play their natural position. Hopefully these last 3 results can be turned around before playoffs.
  7. longballer

    longballer Member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Country:
    United States
    Last night it seemed like the midfield, Nurse especially, were giving the ball away very cheaply. We counted 5 no-look passes of his that went directly to a Stars player. Steele likes to play one-touch balls when teammates aren't expecting it or are not in good positions to make runs. Everybody just looked out of sync. It looked like a different team. Can't explain it.
  8. DNorris222

    DNorris222 New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2011
    Location:
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Country:
    United States
    I can't help but to be worried about our title hopes now. Ever since the Rusin transfer, the team hasn't looked nearly the same.

    Don't look now, but if PRI win again, we're only 4 points up.
  9. teucer

    teucer Member

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2009
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Country:
    United States
    Except that, as they get their next chance to earn three points, so do we. Against Miami. At home. Yes, we lost to them at Lockhart, but they're below Minnesota in both points standing and predictively useful things like ratio of goals scored to allowed - oh, and unlike the Stars, we've already beaten the Strikers this season.

    Our lead's only seven points, but I expect it to stay at seven points. (My NASL Guru picks for the relevant matches: 2-1 for Tampa Bay (albeit with little confidence - I'm estimating a 29% chance for Puerto Rico to win, 24% for the draw) and 1-0 for Carolina (with a 59% probability on the full 3 points, although that part doesn't pay enough attention to what's happened without Brad Rusin so the picture isn't really quite as rosy as a 60% win sounds).

    On sportsclubstats.com, they're currently showing a 93% chance for Carolina to finish in first place, 7% for Puerto Rico - and 0% of Carolina not getting a bye to semifinals. It also says we should be cheering for Tampa Bay over Puerto Rico on Saturday, unsurprisingly, and of course for Edmonton in both their games at PR the week after. (In the FCE @ PRI matches, the Juggle the Numbers algorithms currently say there's a 55% chance for Puerto Rico to win, 21% for Edmonton, and 24% for the draw.)

    We will get our bye to the semifinals. We will very probably do so with a first seed, thus getting the easier of the two semifinal opponents who didn't. And we will probably face Puerto Rico for the championships again - but this time, I expect us to win. (JtN algorithm's current probabilities for a home-and-away series decided on aggregate goals, which IIRC is the correct format for the finals again, if it's between the two orange teams: CAR 45%, PRI 37%, draw 18%.) If Puerto Rico falls along the way, we expect to take on probable 3rd seed Tampa Bay or even probable 6th seed FC Edmonton for the final; those upsets would make our quest for the hardware even easier. (Unfortunately, our expected semifinal opponents are likely 4th-seed Minnesota, but they're neck and neck with FTL for projected final standings - and whichever one does wind up being number 5 could easily advance on the upset anyhow.)
  10. Paintking

    Paintking New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2010
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks

    Thanks Fan,

    I can see the long ball approach working since Campos and Barbara do hold the ball very well, even against two defenders. Hopefully the rest of the problems will get ironed out in the next few games and the Hawks will be firing on all cylinders again.
  11. Paintking

    Paintking New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2010
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Yep, you saw what I saw. I hope the hawks can get their short game working better to balance with the longball stuff (nothing personal). As people have pointed out the Stars seem to be a tough team for the Hawks to play. Looks like I caught them on a bad night. I hope to catch more games this season and see the hawks win the championship. Might not get this close again the way this league works.
  12. CHHSfan

    CHHSfan Member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2010
    Location:
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Country:
    United States
    Did anyone else notice Salieu Bundu is back from his loan to Charlotte? He might sub in for one of the forwards if we aren't clicking.
  13. railhawksfan

    railhawksfan Member

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Don't rate him unless he proves me wrong.
  14. BicycleKicks

    BicycleKicks Member

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2011
    Location:
    veclub.org
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Country:
    United States
    I was wondering if they have subconsciously become a little complacent... up until this streak of below average games they had a huge lead in points. Maybe, just maybe, they backed off just enough to have regressed a little. I'm no sports psychologist, but I imagine it would be difficult to maintain the same 110% effort with such a huge lead.... intentionally or not.

    Now that the Islanders are creeping up the standings, maybe they'll get a fire lit under their @sses again.
  15. longballer

    longballer Member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Country:
    United States
    Thoughts:

    A) There were a few moments tonight of infighting as the team was trying to link up, but it appears they're starting to find themselves again.

    B) The ref wasn't calling anything. The foul on Barbara, right before he was subbed out, looked especially harsh. Normally he doesn't go down easily.

    C) Knighton caught a few lucky breaks as his defenders cleared balls off the line three or four times. He also made some insane stops at point-blank range.

    D) They're still not out of the doldrums yet.
  16. CHHSfan

    CHHSfan Member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2010
    Location:
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Country:
    United States
    I wasn't able to see the game, but the defense sounds bad. How did our attack work out?
  17. railhawksfan

    railhawksfan Member

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    Location:
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    :)

    Wrong thread lads.

    Agree. Infighting? That's a new one but Jay is always in the know. What's up with that? Nurse and McKnight were missing and Zimmerman was benched. Not to start rumors or anything but those changes appear to have been contemplated.

Share This Page