NRR-How many fan's for the U.S vs Antigua qualifier?

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Rowdies' started by G Enriquez, Feb 18, 2012.

1. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many fan's do you all think we'll draw for the USA vs Antigua World Cup Qualifier? Unfortunatley,we couldn't get a latter round game against Mexico or Honduras. Those games would definitley sellout. My two concern's for the match are,the game is being played on a Friday night. And,the fact that Antigua & Barbuda are a minnow.

I will be happy if we draw at least in the low 20's for that game. We drew 21,737 fan's for a friendly against El Salvador in the pouring rain on Feb.24th,2010

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIt4tpVBiAo"]MNT vs. El Salvador: Highlights - Feb. 24, 2010 - YouTube[/ame]

2. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd expect 20k plus and hope for 25k plus. This is a minnow yes, but its also the first qualifier of the cycle so there will be alot of interest. Friday night is fine, that's basically a weekend night.

I don't think anyone should put undue expectations on how many fans Tampa will draw for this. If we pull between 20 and 25k I think that should be seen as a success considering the opponent and circumstances.

I didn't think the Hex games were set yet? If so that's a shame, otherwise I was hoping our performance in recent friendlies plus a good showing for this qualifier might put Tampa in the discussion for a Hex game. I sincerely doubt we'd get a match vs Mexico, but I'd take a game vs someone like Jamaica or Honduras in a heartbeat.

3. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be very happy with a crowd of 25K plus.

Who know's,maybe we will get a second round qualifier if we draw well for this game.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First home qualifier of each cycle since 2000:

Wed, 8/16/2000 vs. Barbados in Foxboro (18,334)
    Sun, 6/13/2004 vs. Grenada in Columbus (9,137)
    Sun, 6/15/2008 vs. Barbados in Carson (11,476)

Pre-Hex home qualifiers have averaged 19,143 the last three cycles. Hex home qualifiers 31,479.

Only Foxboro (25,266 for El Salvador in 2004) and Washington DC (51,996 for Guatemala in 2000) have broken 25k for a non-Hex home qualifier in the last three cycles.

5. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hrm, well that puts it in perspective doesn't it.

Still think we can pull 20k.

6. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to sound like an ingrate but,wouldn't it make more sense to play this game at Livestrong Sporting Park,PPL Park or BBVA Compass Stadium? Those stadium's have smaller capacities and would probably sell out for a game against a team like Antigua.

This is not to say that I'm not happy that we're getting a qualifier. I would just love a second round game against a bigger opponent.

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you overestimate the appeal of Antigua. I just showed you what pre-Hex qualifiers usually draw.

Columbus, Foxboro, Washington, Carson, Bridgeview and Commerce City couldn't sell out pre-Hex qualifiers the last two cycles (against teams like Jamaica, Panama and Trinidad & Tobago). What makes you think Kansas City, Philly or Houston would?

BBVA Compass Stadium doesn't open until May 12. That may be cutting it a bit close. And they may have plans for it later.

And there's no reason you can't have a game in this round AND a game in the Hex, though Foxboro (3), Columbus (3) and Washington (2) usually get Hex games, which leaves only two slots. It depends on a lot of factors. You can't say Tampa is "in the rotation" for these things, though having USMNT games several years in a row certainly means something.

No guarantee, but your best bet is to get as big a crowd as you can for Antigua.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Four years ago Antigua got over 20k for a "home" WCQ at RFK Stadium. ;)

9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was Anguilla. Against El Salvador.

10. MadAdam4

MadAdam4 Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the outside, it does seem kind of odd that they chose Tampa for this match, but why give another city that has an MLS team (or regularly hosts a US national team game) a chance to not sell out against a small opponent? I say it's an honor to be chosen for this game. USSF knows that there are only a few places in the USA that could even come close to selling out for this game, so they have decided to acknowledge the fan base in the Tampa Bay area and give us a WCQ.

For comparison, look at the 2009 Gold Cup. USA-Grenada in Seattle drew only 15K at Qwest Field. With the massive Sounders fan base, shouldn't they hypothetically draw more? So why would you hold a game against a team that most would consider a "minnow" in a location that drew small for a USA game? I would rather have the game played in a city that (1) historically draws a fairly decent, consistent crowd and (2) doesn't regularly hold MLS/USA games.

*Fun Fact: You could fit 76% of Antigua and Barbuda's population into Raymond James Stadium*

11. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read the stats on the pre-Hex qualifiers attendances. I'm aware that they didn't sell out Crew Stadium,Gillete Stadium or the Home Depot Center for the first round games. I just believe that it's more likely to sell out or come close to selling out those smaller stadium's than it is getting a really good crowd for a small team like Antigua.

I'd rather see a crowd of 15K at Livestrong Sporting Park than 15K at Raymond James Stadium.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could play it at Al Lang, it would be certainly full.

13. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's for sure.;)

Kenn,you do understand my point about palying Antigua at Raymond James? I just believe that match should be played at Livestrong Sporting Park. I'm pretty damn sure that game would sell out in a heartbeat.

I think we would draw a crowd in the 30k range for Hex-round game. Not so sure for Antigua. Either way,I'll be there!

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand your point, no.

And it would be an outlier if a non-hex game actually sold out, much less "in a heartbeat." Maybe Kansas Citians would be different than everybody else. They got a good crowd - though not a sellout - when the USWNT was there last September.

It is apparent that early round qualifiers against minnows don't sell out. I don't see why you don't get this.

My suggestion would be this: either tell USSF to move the game so you'll feel better, or thank your lucky stars that they chose your city to put a World Cup qualifier in, and that you don't have to go very far to see the US National Team play.

15. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hosting a World Cup qualifier is a big deal. I'm ecstatic that we are being given the opportunity and while I think I see George's point regarding playing a minnow in a more appropriate park for the expected attendance, Kenn is also right that no matter who we play the crowds aren't usually big in the first round.

SO, why not Tampa? If we draw well we will be in the running to get a HEX game. And apparently we don't even have to draw well to at least be average for what first round games typically draw around the country.

Even if we don't get a HEX match, there are only eight home world cup qualifiers every 4 years and we are getting one of them. That's pretty cool.

16. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's exactly my point. I hope that we do draw well for that game. I'm a little worried that since it's a team that most people couldn't find on a map,(myself included)it might hurt ticket sales.

Imagine,if we only sell 15K tickets for that game,it's going to look like crap on tv. 15K in Livestrong or PPL Park would be a much better atmosphere.

17. RitztotheRubble

RitztotheRubble Member+

Apr 15, 2011
    20,000 is a realistic goal imo. if i remember correctly the el salvador game was not only poor weather, but also midweek. plus the team consisted almost entirely of mls players so some of the well-known regulars weren't in. none of the teams that the us have faced in tampa have really been good enough to convince people to go along to see the game because of the quality opposition. i can't imagine somebody who would be cheering for the us would be convinced to go because the us were playing panama or el salvador. maybe i'll be wrong, but i think it will be another decent crowd.

as for the stadium point i agree. if i was in charge this game would not be in tampa. this country now has loads of soccer stadiums perfect to accompany a smaller crowd like this game will attract. instead it is held in a 65,000+ stadium?

18. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course the stadium isn't optimal, but Tampa is being tested for larger games and I see no problem having the game at Ray Jay. USSF has clearly decided we've earned a qualifier and while a HEX game would be brilliant, ANY qualifier will do IMO.

Just make sure everyone you know is there and hope we get another game later if you are concerned with filling Ray Jay up :D

19. VermontFan

VermontFan Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Northeast Kingdom
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm planning to fly down for the game and will be getting tix tomorrow during the presale for US Soccer members. I want to get mid-priced tickets on the sidelines. Any advice on which side of the stadium to get them on? I don't want to be in the midst of supporters for the opposing team!

20. RitztotheRubble

RitztotheRubble Member+

Apr 15, 2011
    i doubt there's any way of knowing. looking at the opposition just get tickets on any side and chances are you won't be in the midst of supporters for antigua.

21. MadAdam4

MadAdam4 Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the US played Panama, all the Panama supporters sat right in front of the Pirate ship (section 146-ish). Pretty sure that it's usually on the opposite side of wherever the AO sits (123).

22. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the WCQ in Tampa will draw in the 20-25k range. It will depend on walk-up, which will depend on weather.

23. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll depend on alot of things. Weather is a big one, yes. The game is on a Friday so that's good. How much promotion US Soccer does, how motivated the supporters are IE how many AO members decide to come in from around the country. This isn't a friendly or even a Gold Cup match, its far more important despite it being just a semi final round game.

I'd hope to see a huge AO section, but I guess we'll see.

So yeah, start doing what you have to now in order to appease the soccer weather gods and make sure you get as many of your friends as you can to get tickets asap.

24. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why didn't the USSF schedule the game for Saturday night?

25. RitztotheRubble

RitztotheRubble Member+

Apr 15, 2011
    the same reason it isn't in an sss. stupidity.