NPSL vs. PDL

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by Ravorg, Aug 30, 2011.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Texas....the USL apparently doesn't have anyone to proof the site "think" vs. "thing" I guess...

"When I purchased the franchise five years ago, the only think that existed was the W-League team, which was already very successful. There were no youth programs at all, much less the multi-tiered system we have today. There was no PDL team. It’s pretty remarkable that in only five years we have built the club into the elite organization it is today."
    John Pugh, President & Owner, Ottawa Fury Soccer Clu

2. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know first-hand of PDL and NPSL both. It was easiest to link sites that are credible as opposed to just go on my own word. But that doesn't work still. Oh well, carry on I will.

3. ShenandoahThunder

ShenandoahThunder New Member

Apr 6, 2013
    We have just started the process of exploring the possibility of taking our USASA team to a higher level. The area NCAA colleges have all made it clear that they would be very supportive of a PDL franchise, versus anything else... including the NPSL. I have been reviewing the expansion materials provided to me by the PDL. The $50,000 franchise fee has had us trying to explore both public and private support options.

HOWEVER... It has become rather clear to me that a NPSL franchise would be a lot more realistic and provide us an opportunity to be set up for success, rather than to fail. The $50,000 PDL franchise fee would force us into running everything else in a very bare bones manner, at least for the first few years. Those are the most important years in becoming a stable franchise.

I will be in touch with the NPSL in the coming days, but I have heard and read of different quotes regarding their franchise fee. Can someone please confirm for me that the current franchise fee stands at $12,000? OR... Is it based on a team's location and other factors? HOW MUCH IS A NPSL EXPANSION FRANCHISE COST? This is WITHOUT regards to operating expenses. I want to know the deal before engaging in a conversation with the league regarding a franchise fee.

PLEASE REPLY ASAP IF POSSIBLE!!!!!!!

ThePonchat repped this.
  4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bought a NPSL franchise back in 2009 and it was $5K to the league office and $5K to the eastern division. So my guess is $12K is right in the ballpark of where you need to be.

5. Epikoinos

Epikoinos Soccer player-coach-manager-journalist

Arsenal, Real Salt Lake, Forward Madison
    United States
    Jan 6, 2004
    Oregon, WI
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. QC Eagles FC

QC Eagles FC New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    East Moline, IL USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Shenandoah I'm on the NPSL new team development committee, I'd be happy to help you especially since I have first hand knowledge of both. You can email me directly at Jeff.varner@quadcityeaglesfc.com
    Our new team fee is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than PDL. Not a dig at PDL, we just have a different model.
    For everyone else the NPSL does not operate franchises. We are a member run organization.

ThePonchat repped this.
  7. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has been posted. I hope it helps. But, don't take that league fee "over 3 years" to be the lowest option. There are payment options. Thanks for QC Eagles FC for helping.

The NPSL is a great league. I do think there needs to be some better professionalism from some owners and teams, but definitely headed in the right direction.

8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US Open Cup match
    Des Moines Menace USL PDL team will host the Madison 56ers NPSL at Des Moines Menace Valley Stadium in West Des Moines, IA on Tuesday, May 14, at 7:30 p.m. CT.

9. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    You *bought* a franchise membership? Which one is it? Aren't our NY supporters clubs technically required to support it if a supporter is the owner? (ok I just made that up but now I am curious) :)

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    only if you lived in Utica, NY

11. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    What's it like running a soccer team? What were some of the things you didn't expect?

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like many of us, I don't think msilverstein ever made it that far. :(

13. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Well, they got through a summer season. Just curious as to what it was like and what he encountered before it got messy at the end.

14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, we (Mohawk Valley United) in fact made it through the summer intact and we had some decent players...I attended at least 2 of the 4 exhibition games and attendance was probably around 100 for each of the games that I saw. Since I was from out of town, I let my local "business partner" handle the local logistics. He managed to negotiate a really great deal for our home venue, but it was a good 20 miles from the soccer-loving immigrant community in Utica. All was well until the last match of the season when my "business partner" decided the economy had turned on him and he could no longer honor his part of the jersey sponsorship deal at $12K/year and he ALSO needed me to purchase a $25K share of his jewelry store. We parted ways...my lesson could have way way worse.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  15. NodineHill

NodineHill Member

May 3, 2013
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    You have my respect for actually doing what most people only talk about doing. I hope you don't give up on the idea of ownership! It's a good time for it.

16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks Nodine, over the past couple of months I've been doing some pro bono consulting for a possible new team that was trying to get going in the VA/MD/WV border area, but I don't think that it's headed anywhere. I can't rule-out the possible idea of future ownership but for right now I'm very happy to support the Clarkstown Eagles who play 5 minutes from my house and they are in the Keystone Flight of the NPSL. They even have an outside shot at the playoffs...

17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Connecticut Pro Soccer
    Yesterday at 11:00am ·
    In opening round matches of the U.S. Open Cup, there were 11 matches played between NPSL and PDL teams. The game between Chicago FC United and Grand Rapids FC was postponed until tonight. In the remaining 10 matches, there were 5 victories for PDL and 5 victories for NPSL. Clearly, at the top end, the two leagues are very comparable...