News: NPSL Expansion 2014

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by MNkicks, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    Having two teams in a medium sized city is bad enough but a third would get no support, unless its the NASL sides reserve team. I can only see one of the Pro teams surviving in the medium term, I don't know enough about either to say which one. There are bigger cities without any pro soccer team and they hope two will succeed. Hopefully they don't have too many clash's of games so fans can go to both and maybe face each other in the open cup to have a derby but neither of these could happen.

2. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I talked to a referee in the OKC area, he said the referee designations are already out for the USL Pro and NASL 2014 seasons.

Their PDL team is no longer and will completely be a USL Pro franchise.

3. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    ?????

The 2013 PDL team is the Lund group, the 2014 USL PRO team is the Funk group, these a very different ownership groups

4. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OKCFC, the PDL team is the team ran by Brad Lund. They will NOT be a USL-PRO team. They, in fact, are becoming a NASL team. I guess this means that OKC FC will most likely play 2014 in NPSL

5. mbsc

mbsc Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latest tweet from the Commissioner regarding new teams...

"One week until 2014 NPSL expansion deadline and we just approved 21st new @NPSLSoccer team for '14 season; passing our goal of 20 new teams! --Michael Hitchcock (@Hitchnewbiz) "

https://twitter.com/Hitchnewbiz/status/393457567591976960

6. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Wait - what? There are now 21 new teams for 2014? and we've only heard of six so far???
    If that is true, that is a major step up! Great job NPSL!!!
    Can't wait to hear the announcement - that could change a lot of the existing divisions!

brentgoulet repped this.
  7. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    Hopefully a northwest Division in Oregon/Washington

8. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been keeping up with Hitch...and knew there'd have to be some announcements coming soon.

Unfortunately with 21 new teams, there's bound to be double digits in teams that have folded too...right?

9. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    I was talking to the owner of So Samba In hood river Oregon tonight, He said there are two clubs in Seattle who are interested but who have not applied. He said one more but i cant remember yet. NPSL is lookinfg for 4 teams in order to make another conference in the northwest. They played a friendly vs a high school team last Saturday and won 18-0. They joined the NPSL to get a higher level of competition. I think the club has good enough players but i am unsure about the support.

10. SteadfastSoccer

Aug 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    We are still waiting for a user agreement here in College Station, Texas. We will be submitting our application here either tonight or tomorrow once we get the agreement. Fingers crossed we will be approved.

11. Chris Cotten

Chris Cotten New Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    There will be a franchise in Joplin, Missouri in 2014.

12. SteadfastSoccer

Aug 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    That is legitimate! Good luck to you guys! We submitted our application today and will hopefully be joining you in Atlanta!

Chris Cotten repped this.
  13. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Any new news on new NPSL franchise/teams west of the Rockies?...Is Seattle area putting together a group of teams? Oregon? I know there are/have been several PDL teams in the Pacific NW over the years...and last I checked they seem to be in flux...why not join the NPSL (much less expensive) and continue the expansion movement?

Looking forward to news of new teams...good luck to those who have applied.

14. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    So Samba are Joining in Hoodriver, Oregon! No other team has applied in Oregon or Washington yet. There are two Seattle teams interested but have not applied unless they have in the last few days which i doubt that. 4 teams are required to form a new conference.

15. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deadline is today, I believe.

16. SteadfastSoccer

Aug 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Deadline is today, so news will be coming soon!

17. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I take it the deadline for new team applications is today...with the NPSL, that means sometime next week they will put out a press release...and even then, I'm guessing things will change...

It's all good new though...glad to see/hear about so many new teams coming on board...hopefully not too many are lost...

18. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    #68 Owen Thornhill, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2013/11/04/gate-city-fc-to-take-the-field-in.html

Closer to Greensboro town center, ex Carolina Dynamo's players go to this team, they have a more mature. Hopefully both teams don't have games on the same day and people in the area can go to both games. Although they could play each other in US Open Cup and fans would have to choose a side but till then it would nearly be like a first team and a youth team in the same city.

Makes a bigger conference 6 teams and 10 regular season games.

19. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    Not the best stadium available in my opinion the UNCG Soccer stadium is in a better location and seems nicer from what i can gather. Carolina Dynamo's ground is well out of town in comparison. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNCG_Soccer_Stadium

20. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a link or any further info on that?

21. Chris Cotten

Chris Cotten New Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Steadfast -

We are building bleachers to accommodate the 500 minimum seating, a press box and locker rooms as we speak. As a kid that grew up in Tulsa with the Roughnecks in the 80's I can't tell you how exciting this is. Was very impressed with the product that Sonny has in Tulsa now and thought this would be an affordable way to get big time soccer going in Joplin.

22. Chris Cotten

Chris Cotten New Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Sporting Real - Not yet, that information will be coming out soon after this weekends meeting. :thumbsup:

23. SteadfastSoccer

Aug 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    That is awesome! We have a sponsor building a practice field for us down here but they want to see a season played out before they commit to building us a home venue. Until then we play out of a 2A private school turf mini stadium. I am assuming you will be in the same division as Chattanooga FC?

24. Chris Cotten

Chris Cotten New Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Steadfast, unless there is a re-alignment I don't think so. We will be in Tulsa's division. I have heard rumors that eventually St. Louis, KC and Springfield will either move existing clubs into the NPSL or add new ones at some point and time to this division but I have no hard facts at this time.

25. SteadfastSoccer

Aug 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Are they moving Tulsa out of South Central? Because that would mean you are in the same conference as us and the rest of the Texas teams. Which is exciting for us but that is going to be hard on ya'll with travel expenses. You are looking at a 9 hour drive to play anyone in Houston.