News: NPSL Expansion 2014

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by MNkicks, Aug 20, 2013.

1. El Conductor

El Conductor Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Chattanooga
    Club:
    Chattanooga Football Club
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome. Thanks.
    Here's the link to the 2014 NPSL South Region map again (I'd removed it earlier cause I accidentally deleted it while editing it).

2. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    I cant post a new topic but what is each clubs catchment area population wise? Gorge FC in Oregon is about 30k. Detroit 4-5 million, Nashville 1.5 million, Chattanooga 500k, Some teams are not the biggest team in the metro area like Spartans FC in Portland 2.2million, Inter United in Seattle 18k in the town but 3.5million in the metro area and Seattle Sporting again 3.5 million but again not the biggest team in the metro area.

3. El Conductor

El Conductor Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Chattanooga
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm generally going off wikipedia's list of US Metro Areas when I talk about city size. It's also important to remember we're talking about a sport that isn't really in the top 5 in terms of national popularity, so regional tastes in sports is a large factor. I'm sure there are cities will large populations where professional soccer would still have a hard time gaining a foothold because that area's sports preferences don't currently include soccer.

4. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    Well Gorge FC must be one of the smallest catchment areas in the NPSL and soccer is popular but i still think crowds will be low.

5. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Glad to see a team in Rock Hill, SC -- should be fantastic seeing FC Carolina Discoveries in action at Manchester Meadows --a great facility for NPSL.

6. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is exactly where Zanesville Athletic was at too...relatively similar population sizes.

7. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    Well they played a preseason game today in very wet conditions in their training facility with no spectator facilities and maybe 30 showed up. played south sound of the evergreen premier soccer league i left 5 mins from full time but it was 2-1 too south sound at that stage. Sound were physically bigger which seemed to be the only major difference. Both were skillful but pitch conditions did not help. Very fast paced game could have been 2-2 but Gorge FC missed from like 6 yards by hitting it over the bar amaizingly. Difference between Evergreen Premier league and NPSL northwest conference looks to be very little if these two club are anything to judge by.

8. El Conductor

El Conductor Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Chattanooga
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you'll see a clear picture of the NPSL until May. More and more teams rely on college players for talent, the majority of whom are barred from playing until their school year ends (usually in May).

9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.soccerwire.com/news/am-men/virginia-legacy-brands-npsl-team-legacy-76/?loc=psw

Virginia Legacy has announced the formation of Legacy 76.
    “This team will serve as the highest level of elite soccer within the Virginia Legacy Soccer Club,” said Bobby O’Brien, Technical Director for the Virginia Legacy Soccer Club. “We received over 50 suggestions in our Name-the-Team Contest and believe this submission by Legacy youth coach Phil Brown encapsulates all of our unique branding initiatives.”
    In addition to competing in the largest amateur league in the United States, the team will also provide the community with an opportunity to experience minor league soccer up close. A majority of the team’s roster will include players with connections to local college programs and many of of them participated in youth and high school programs throughout the Tidewater region. This will allow the thousands of youth soccer players currently playing the game with a viable opportunity to develop a positive and inspirational soccer role model.
    Legacy 76 will play its first-ever game in the NPSL on Saturday, May 17th.

10. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    Spartans FC 4-1 Gorge FC
    Sporting Seattle 7-0 Inter United

Looks like the top two spots will be fought between Spartans and Sporting. Gorge FC and inter will fight for third spot. Its only the first weekend but still. Maybe just maybe Inter might self relegate and be replaced by the winners of the Evergreen Premier League and same with Gorge FC and the Oregon Premier Soccer League.

11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice thought...but if you really expect the Commish to waive the required $10-$12K in NPSL expansion franchise fees for these new clubs coming in from the Evergreen Premier League and the Oregon Premier Soccer League I think that you might need to think again.

12. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    True maybe if the teams getting promoted pay the fee? or maybe just improving.

13. ManuSooner

ManuSooner Member+

Nov 15, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    logo_wordmark-sq.jpg
    Not a bad logo at all. Only thing I might have changed is the font for the 'FC,' make it something a little less generic, but it already looks like one of the better logos in the NPSL

ThePonchat repped this.
  15. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    Can someone create a Northwest Conference topic as i cant, otherwise ill just fill this one up.

Anyway Gorge FC had their first home game last Saturday and had about 200-250 at the game including maybe 4-8 away fans. The vast majority of home fans were of mexican background as most of the publicity was in Odell a small town in Hood River County with a large Latino population but little promotion in Hood River itself.

http://www.hoodrivernews.com/news/2014/apr/23/rebranded-gorge-fc-looks-future/

Turmoil before the start of the season hasn't helped. Still the club is only young and should continue to grow. Spartans seem to be Dominant already in the Conference with Seattle Sporting likely to follow them into 2nd spot. Inter United got their first win against Gorge FC and look like they could avoid the wooden spoon unless the Gorge Improve.

16. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok done...fill 'er up but over there...lol

17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. amancalledmikey

Oct 27, 2003
    I have a bindle at this point...
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know it's a decade ago and at D-2 level but the Salty Dogs showed that there is an appetite to watch the game if marketed correctly. Civicly, there's also potential support if the team can stick around for a few years.

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance: 150. Salute!

(Incidentally, I'm going to try to keep tabs on NPSL attendance this year, but it's hard. And when the league itself doesn't even know where teams play and can't get it straight on their schedule, it's even harder.)

21. Owen Thornhill

Dec 22, 2012
    Club:
    Cork City
    Gorge FC first home game had about 300 and second game about 150. These are my personal estimates.

22. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and my hometown Clarkstown Eagles just announced today that they will not be charging any admission fee.

23. El Conductor

El Conductor Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Chattanooga
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I appreciate the effort, Kenn. I'll keep an eye out for stats in the NPSL Southeast and shoot you whatever I find.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    'Preciate it.

I made the rounds of every team I could contact last offseason and got maybe 20 data points.

25. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    The regular season opener at LaGrave Field between the Ft Worth Vaqueros and the Tulsa Athletics has been bumped fifteen minutes to a 7:45 start. Hopefully, that means a good crowd.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]