NPSL coming to Cleveland

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by savetheforce, Aug 23, 2010.

1. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    It sucks you had an awful time. I wasn't able to make it tonight because of a baseball game I had to coach. Instead of giving up on this team so early, you could contact them and offer your suggestions. I hope to at least see you at Akron games this fall.

2. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    BTW, Akron soccer fans are having a watch party tomorrow for the UEFA Champions League Final. We're meeting at Ray's Place on West Market Street. It's in the Highland Square area of Akron.

I know a few Rubber City Brigade / AO Akron guys were at the Cleveland game tonight. I'd like to see us Akron and Cleveland soccer fans get together more.

3. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I know the team brass reads this thread so I'm sure they'll see it.
    I hope I have time to check out Akron's games. It's about a 40 minute drive for me though. I'm an adult, night student there so I've grown attached to the school and city. Although, in a few years I'll probably be a grad student at Kent, lol.

As for AFC, I applaud what they are trying to do, but it's just like they say in the Corps, "Good initiative, bad judgement." And I'm not just referring to the sunlight thing. Heh, it seems BigSoccer itself has been demonstrating that lately as well.

I'll stop now, because I know I'm really starting to seem like a big whining, complainer.

4. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No special ticket needed. Anyone can sit on that side, but it is the supporters section. We asked to be away from everyone else so we could create the atmosphere we wanted. We had enough people complain about the Green Army at City Stars game. We want to be able to create the atmosphere we want away from the rest of the fans. We were put on the bad bleachers side. They put the fans in the main stand; we are on the opposite side. I think you'd have more people complaining about the broken wooden bleachers that are on our side.

We want to make noise and be a nuisance to the other team. That's our purpose.

We usually just use the bull horn to amplify our wampus whistles.

Because the main stand is about 100 times nicer than the stand we are on.

No stereo, just an iPhone.

5. 6th City Syndicate

6th City Syndicate New Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    You don't need a special ticket. We make a fuss about the disclaimer so that folks don't wander over (to avoid sunsets) and complain about flags and bullhorns. But it seems you'll complain anyway.

Can't make everyone happy though. . . 4-2 a good result and that should be the focus.

6. Polskaboy69

Polskaboy69 New Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Cleveland
    A
    The side for the main fans is the side where the benches are, lockerooms are etc. If you dontlike the sun, wear sun glasses

This organization has put together some great talent. The Mothers day game, they got back to Cleveland at 2:30am from Detroit, only to turn around to play 12 hours later. They had an amazing rally to to get the draw. How can you not find the great?

Wow, but you can't watch high quality soccer from there can you? The players we have are some of the best Div 2 and 3 players in the country. Vinny Bell was an All-American at CWRU. CWRU and NDC have some of the top college soccer programs in the country. I think next year we will get a few Akron players once Caleb sees the amount of talent on the roster. We won 4-2 last night and just donated them in the 2nd half. We hit the cross bar and post another 7 times. It was men vs. Boys last night. Stop your griping over the stupid issues, and go watch these guys play. We will give you a slide whistle at the next game.

7. Juve8

Juve8 New Member

Dec 19, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Club:
    Northampton Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bought a ticket at the box office and walked right on over to the supporters side. I was not aware of any kind of special ticket or disclaimer. As far as the bullhorn and siren, no comment. haha I'd prefer a little more unison, but if chaotic nuisance is what you're looking for, then go for it. But don't just write off CityDave. I'm sure he's not the only one who feels this way. Personally I think it feels great when you have everyone in sync and it gives the group a sense of accomplishment when you create new songs and chants. It's a small group now and just in the beginning stages. I think this opportunity would be great to work on chants and songs with such a small number of people. What I love about soccer is the singing and chanting in unison. I can go to any sporting event and make chaotic noise. Unless you consider that annoying overused throwball chant "DEFENSE" Do what you want, I'm just voicing my opinion. I'll still come to matches.

I hope you give it another opportunity CityDave. Your voice has been heard. I hope AFC Cleveland and the 6th City consider your opinion.

8. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's the case then why did the lady standing over at the entrance to that section tell me and other people that it was 6th City only and that you needed a special ticket to enter? And she wasn't some random person. She was obviously with the organization.

It's not like I'm making this crap up.

Btw, the Green Army never needed an amplifier.

6th City, you don't really know me at all. I didn't "wander over" to avoid the sun. I was a Green Army member and was at nearly every CCS home game singing and all that from the very beginning. So I wouldn't be complaining about noise and flags. But the bullhorn was crap. I actually saw you guys and went directly over to that side but was turned away by the lady who said it was for 6th City only. Heck, if she let me in then my perception of the evening might be completely different. I would have been able to actually enjoy watching the game for one thing.

Hey, no problem. It's not for everybody, no accounting for taste, etc. I don't like it, you do. We're all entitled to our opinions. Have fun!

9. Polskaboy69

Polskaboy69 New Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Cleveland
    City Dave,
    I think if you came to a game and hung out with us, you would enjoy yourself. We all love it because we can do and say what we want unlike at CCS games where we had to behave. Everyone is having a the best time doing what we do. yea, we can be more organized, but it has only been 2 games. I thought we did better in game 2. I welcome you to come and slide a whistle or bang a drum with us.

10. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the invite. But I'm not interested in slide whistles and megaphones. :D

Anyway, there are several other things that I didn't even mention, not even related to 6th City. But I'm not going to continue hating in this thread.

You guys should definitely make sure that the staff isn't telling people that they need a special ticket or membership to get in that section. It will really stunt your growth.

11. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not the only person I've heard that from. It's definitely a mistake. We'll get that sorted out.

12. 6th City Syndicate

Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    TAKEN CARE OF.

Spoke with the FO today. We were considering distributing flyers or vouchers to alert people to the environment int he supporters' section, but it was unnecessary. We will simply hang signs alerting people and giving fair warning that they are entering a supporters section NOT general seating.

The signs will read (in part):
    "You WILL be among "people" who are standing, singing, chanting, yelling, drumming, horn and whistle blowing, bullhorn yelling… for 90 minutes. Your view may be obstructed. You may hear profanity. There WILL be WAMPUS!"

13. 6th City Syndicate

Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    We do offer apologies to "City Dave" and others that were turned away (there were at least 12). We also would like to extend invitations to anyone who would like to support the team with us to come over to the section.

We are working on some organization this week , chanting and singing in particular.

14. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was hoping to make it out to a bunch of matches, but the schedule keeps messing with me. For some reason I thought this week's match was Friday night, which would have been perfect. Just realized it's actually Saturday, which is problematic. Gonna do my best, though.

15. sfixx

sfixx Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Lorain County, OH
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't mind the sunny side at all ... I wore a hat and sunglasses, then took them off and enjoyed an amazing sunset as we buried the competition :)
    I think the Wampus Rumpus is the perfect distance away. I can hear myself think and easily carry on a conversation with the soccer mom next to me. I agree that the 6th City shady side supporters do a great job of adding to the game's atmosphere! The drums are awesome and I can't help but love the silliness of the whistles. Keep up the good work!

16. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone tell them their newsletter unsubscribe link doesn't work. Guess I'll just have to create a filter to trash them.

17. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Division Champs! The boys beat Erie on PKs today to advance to the conference championship. The game will likely be next Sunday at 3pm @Brecksville-Broadview Heights High School.

If we win next week, we advance to the national playoffs in San Diego!

18. Polskaboy69

Polskaboy69 New Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Cleveland
    So, City Dave,

You said a few months ago that you were not impressed with this organization, etc. let's see, they go out, lose 1 game the entire season, they win the division title, they win the rust belt cup, and now they are 1 win a way from a spot in the US Open cup and trip to the Final 4. Not to shabby.

19. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    The next step for this organization is to move to Akron and join the NASL :)

20. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it worked really well last time a successful Cleveland outdoor team moved and ascended a division. :p

21. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    No idea where the City Stars moved.

22. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To Bedford - which was probably better for you, actually.

23. AkronsBobert

AkronsBobert Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    The guys running AFC Cleveland have done a tremendous job with their club at the NPSL level. I can't tell you how disappointed I was last year with Akron Metro FC's lack of effort.

I don't want to turn this into a Cleveland fans vs Akron fans competition, just think Akron has a more realistic chance for pro soccer team in the NEO area and would love to see the guys running AFC Cleveland to make an attempt at it.

24. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think remaining @ Brecksville High School would be a decent compromise, right? It's (nearly) between Cleveland & Akron, and very accessible off 77. What do you think?

25. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has been a pretty good year. There is still lots of room for growth and improvement, and I think next year will be even better.

Why would they move away from a good thing? The City Stars did well in Cleveland until we jumped the gun in moving up.

Anyways, I hope to see you all at Brecksville-Broadview Hts. High School this Sunday.