November Friendlies: Roster Speculation and Watch

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Eleven Bravo, Sep 13, 2012.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    What about what? It's just a 4132. Not dissimilar from what was run in the Jamaica home match.

2. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Jones looked pretty good for Schalke today.

Was the start of a nice counter attack that led to the clinching goal against Arsenal.

3. j0osh

j0osh Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. I didn't read through the whole thread, so apologies if this is a rehash.

Since the friendly is in Russia (long flight) and occurs Nov. 14, right before the 2nd semi-final legs of the playoffs, no one from any team that's still alive is gonna be called up. (Donovan -- LAG, Zusi -- SKC, Beckerman, Rimando -- RSL, Johnson -- SEA, Wondo, Gordon -- SJE).

Anyone whose season is done will probably go, as will the Euro-based guys depending on club situation. Boyd probably goes. Hope to see Gatt out there.

5. j0osh

j0osh Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does "run them into the ground" mean? It's a one-off game with a 2 day break. They will have 2 days to train and then they are back to their clubs. Afraid a bunch of pro athletes can;t handle a two-a-day?

It'll have a core of the best players available but a good chunk should be new guys.

BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  6. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    -------------------Guzan----------------
    Parkhurst---Gonzo----Besler-----Lichaj
    ------------O'Brien---Williams----------
    ------------------Diskerud-----------------
    Gatt---------------Jozy---------Pontius

If Gonzo and Besler are out try Brooks and Edu, or could also try Cameron and Edu again at CB

Bench should include some of: EJ, Boyd, Beitashour, Morrow, Gordon, Wondo, Cameron, Edu, Brooks, Bedoya, Adu, Mccarty, Kljestan, Wooten, Berry, Okugo, Hedges, John

USAMEX10 repped this.
  7. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also stopped Jervinho from having a shot on goal, unfortunately Jones never plays this well with the USMNT. :(

8. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Castillo and Corona are out because the Mexican playoffs start in Nov 13 the day before the
    Russia friendly.

9. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way. We're playing Russia, not Romania. This lineup would get slaughtered, and I see no point in hanging new guys out to dry. Also the only game scheduled between now and the Hex.

10. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    Doubt it, this games not important anyway and we need to start trying some new guys especially at CB..That might not be the starting lineup, but I wanna see all of those guys play

USAMEX10 repped this.
  11. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game is important as it's the only game between now and the Hex. Russia is too good to break in a bunch of new players as well. We have the GC for that. Bringing in an Omar or a Gatt I like, but starting a bunch of guys who've never started for us, and having a roster without any members of our A team, the A team we'll have for the Hex, is playing with fire.

Breaking in all those guys right now is not more important than using this game to help prepare for the Hex. There's Jan for that too.

12. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    But some of these guys could play a role for us in the hex. We didnt look that convincing last round and the games are about to get harder...Gatt, Gonzo/Besler, Pontius, O'Brien should definitely be given a look. I'd like to see Jozy as a starter again in a more passing/attacking oriented lineup

You also risk injury in a meaningless game using key players, and would guys who have already proven themselves even wanna travel to Russia for a friendly in the middle of club season? Yeah Russia is good but I doubt they use all their best players either

13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    By November 9, only 4 teams will remain in the MLS Cup playoffs, the other 15 teams will be out and their players available to play in Russia friendly Nov 14.

14. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no problem bringing 2-4 new guys in so they learn the ropes. I'd expect Omar to be unavailable though. But that's different than throwing them to the wolves, and I think some are underrating Russia.

I'd like Jozy starting again as well and given the Mex playoffs it might happen. As far as travel, traveling to this part of Russia, which is practically in Europe, really isn't different than jumping on a plane from LA to KC, for our Euro guys. It's a 2-3 hour flight for most, less for some. if travel was an issue it'd be an issue for MLS players, not Euro players, but if the season is over I see no reason not bring an Omar or Pontius into the fold for some experience, if available. Plus, it's an international date, doesn't matter if they want to travel or not if called.

Mr Martin repped this.
  15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think there should definitely be veterans mixed in but as far as newbies are concerned, Nov 14 is that last chance to see them in action against international quality before the hex begins. I don't think there will be any other friendlies before the hex. If we have any interest in starting the hex with a Gonzo or Bessler or Hedges or Berry then this is the last chance, I believe. What did you have in mind for January?

16. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    true didnt think about that, but still guys like Pontius, Gatt and Omar should start so they can prove whether or not they can help in the hex.. Winning this game doesn't matter, I'd rather us try to fill some holes on the team for the hex

17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Maybe he isn't used properly.

18. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what JK has in mind, but I heard he's thinking more of bringing in fringe NT guys who he thinks might be able to help during the Hex. That's where I think a Pontius, a Omar, a Besler, a Wondo, a Mix, a Gatt state their case, and I'd assume there might be a friendly or two. MLSers already in the NT would be there as well, Zusi, Shea, Beckerman, EJ.

Doesn't sound like there will be anywhere near as much youth as there was in the past though.

19. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Hopefully he can play this well in the hex.

I am not giving up on him.

20. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nonsense. Of the top of my head in 2012 see Venezuela and Panama at CC2012, Scotland, Jamaica II, and even his A&B II 34 min sub appearance.

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    He's had some good games for the US, most recently the Jamaica match.

22. j0osh

j0osh Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jermaine has to be one of the most underrated players on this squad. The dude plays for Schalke... in the Champions League! He has had several good games for us.

Bu-bu-but THE YELLOW CARDS!!!!

23. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was the best player in the CC games and played really good against Scotland but he doesn't do it consistently with the USMNT.

24. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    It's not really the yellow cards. He simply hasn't played well with us for the most part. My own feeling is that it has to do with the way he is used, and possibly with his mentality as to what he expects to be able to do and what he actually can do. There is no real question that he is one of the best USMNT players in terms of his raw ability, but thus far he's been a poor fit. And what's worse is that he and Mike Bradley have a way of not fitting in well and getting in one another's way. That's the really frustrating thing, because those are our two best central midfielders, and two of the best 4 or 5 players we have, period.

That said, he has played well in a US shirt at times. He was great against Scotland, he was totally dominant during the January camp (as you'd expect of a player of his pedigree, but still), and once in a while he's provided a defense-unlocking long pass here and there.

25. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to respond to BimmerBenz95 with those points but it is better to hear from the horse's mouth so to speak.

This also explains the large disconnect between JK's views on JJ and that of some on BS! ;)