November Friendlies: Roster Speculation and Watch

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Eleven Bravo, Sep 13, 2012.

1. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gooch is playing at a high level and has loads of experience.

Soccer is still pretty new in the US, so people tend to miss obvious things. Somehow people have managed to miss Gooch's aerial dominance and the great benefit that it gave us in offensive set pieces and in defending set pieces and crosses. That's a big reason why Gooch keeps getting picked up and played by good clubs.

There never has been any reason to believe that Gooch is "done at this level".

2. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Gooch starts for Malaga and performs well I think we can all agree that he will be back with the USMNT.

FloridaFC2MLS repped this.
  3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So optimistic, Cleansheet.

Actually, with October out of the way and a hectic schedule in the New Year, November's friendly might be the last chance to see people who are

a) improving
    b) young with potential
    c) possessing some quality that is needed and lacking in the USMNT,
    d) playing a position where we will need replacement due age

and just see if they can deal with the international level.

You're probably right tho.

4. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    aye, these are dark days.

5. fingersave

fingersave Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Klinsmann used the olympic camps to look at young players. That's where Shea, Corona, Boyd, Diskerud, Agudelo, Adu, Bunbury, etc. got looked at. There were players on the periphery of that group who were also being watched like Gatt, who will likely get called in.

Unless a player climbs the ranks rapidly, Klinsmann will probably not use any official FIFA dates to scout more than a couple of players. He'll probably use those dates to assimilate the player pool and to further synchronize.

The place you should look for "young with potential" is in camp.

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You are likely misunderstanding what people mean. Gooch has injury problems. At his club he is monitored every day. A national team doesn't have that luxury.

There is club level and international level. Two different things.

b.t.w., nobody who has watched him play underestimates his aerial ability. I even remarked on it when I was vouching for him to appear on the roster when Klinsi first took over.

7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It is a broad subject. I'd be ecstatic if JK scouted just two.

About that "camp" thing, yeah, that really worked out. funny how everybody got so evaluated and couldn't put one foot in front of the other when it counted.

8. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who cares about the NT more than their own personal bias should be rooting and hoping for Gooch to return to form and become part of the CB rotation, if not a starter at Malaga. If he does that there is no way he doesn't immediately jump back into the NT conversation as at least a rotational player and someone who makes the gameday rosters.

Of course he might not fully recover and therefor we don't see him again for the NT, but I don't get why I get the impression constantly around here that people root against the success of some of our players simply to prop up their own favorites, rather than hoping for success and the deepest NT pool possible.

I still want John/Omar called in and given a shot, but would be more than happy if Gooch gets back to close to where he was and offers more competition and options.

We should want Omar, John, Gooch and Ream improving and competing against each other.

We should want Zusi, Shea, Gatt, Pontius improving and competing against each other.

We should want Mix, Kljestan, Bedoya, Gyau and Adu improving and competing against each other.

We should want Gomez, Jozy, Boyd, Agudelo, Wondo improving and competing against each other.

Instead I hear a lot of forget this guy he's crap, bring in the other, he'll turn things around. It's never that simple. Most of these guys are younger, aside from a handful like Gooch, Wondo or Kljestan, but we need to stick with them for this cycle and next as they improve, or we should be hoping the somewhat older guys at some point get a fair shot, not just dismissing younger guys based off a performance or two, tossing them to the side and annointing someone else the future and immediately shifting the pressure and expectations to them. Young guys don't improve in linear fashion, it's ups and down and you're rewarded for sticking with them sometimes, and other fall off. But patience is a requirement.

Analysis is one thing, but just cutting down players to prop up others without much analysis is another.

End. Of. Rant.

Berks, write one, jakepc42 and 3 others repped this.
  9. bornsteinforlife

Jun 21, 2012
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    [​IMG]

- JK gets a good look at Adu, Gatt, Lichaj, and John but also has a lot of experienced guys in the lineup
    - Freddy's at his best w/ one striker in front, and two speedy wingers to send through balls to. And Freddy has shown he has great chemistry w/ Jozy
    - I think Williams did great vs. Jamaica in the d-mid role and would like to see Bradley play ahead of him

10. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    GK- Guzan, Johnson, Rimando
    LB- Castillo, Spector
    CB-Cameron, Gonzalez, Ream, Edu
    RB-Lichaj, Parkhurst
    CM-Williams, Kljestan, Corona, Diskerud, Adu
    Wing- Gatt, Shea, Zusi, Pontius, Bedoya
    ST- Jozy, Boyd, Wondo, Agudelo

Gyau, Whitbread, Onyewu could make it if they are starting and in good form by then

Just miss the cut: Beasley, John, Davis, Besler, Feilhaber, Beitashour....I have a feeling Torres will get called too though, and that Adu wont

-----------------Guzan----------------------
    Lichaj----Cameron---Gonzo/Edu-----Castillo
    -----------------Williams--------------------
    Gatt--------------Zusi-------------------Shea
    -------------Boyd------Jozy------------------

11. j0osh

j0osh Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This roster is not going to be all familiar faces...lots of variables will eliminate alot of players...

RESEARCH!

-According to FIFA the friendly match day in November 14th, 4 days before the end of the Norwegian season. That probably eliminates Gatt and Diskerud if both Molde and Rosenborg are still competing for the cup, European spots on the final day. If not, they will be there.

-Swedish/Denmark season will be done.

-It's also going to be hard to tell which MLS players are getting in. None from the top 3 seeds in either conference will be going, as the date falls in between the play-in rounds and the first round. That probably eliminates most of the following list from contention: Wondo, EJ, Zusi, Lenhart, Gordon, Morrow, Beitashour, Sarkodie, Davis, Berry, Sapong, Bunbury, Myers, Besler, Beckerman, McCarty, Donovan, Gonzales, Johnson (BOLDED FOR EMPHASIS!)

-Also not sure how willing Bundesliga/Eredivise teams are going to be to release their starters...Cherundolo, Johnson, Altidore.

-Liga MX ends the Apetura on November 11. Expect a Mexican contingent.

-Portuguese Liga takes a two week break starting on November 11. I tihnk Caleb Paterson-Sewell and Tony Taylor could possibly sneak on if depth becomes an issue. Both are in the XI for their clubs.

-Both Cameron and Edu should be going as Stoke plays on the 10th and the 19th.

-Wouldn't necessarily count Bradley out (but I will for the purposes of this roster). Roma plays on the 11th and the 19th.

-Onyewu could get on if he is not in the established XI by then.

My lineup (without Mix, Gatt, German/Dutch starters, Bradley, Boca, Dempsey and everyone in the MLS playoffs):
    GK: Howard, Patterson-Sewell, Hamid
    D: Cameron, John, Spector, Ream, Lichaj, Castillo, Morales, Parkhurst
    M: Edu, Torres, Kljestan, Williams, Bedoya, Corona, O'Brien, Gyau
    F: Shea, Pontius, Agudelo, Boyd

**Whoever is eliminated from the MLS playoffs could change the roster significantly.

Alternates, could-see's & longshots: Goodson, Onyewu, DeLeon, Adu, Orozsco, The Farfans, Andrew Wooten, Aron Johanson, Seb Hines (pffffffft), Will Packwood, DM Beasley, Zak Whitbread, Tony Taylor (Estoril, Portugal..Panama is trying to cap-tie him), Cody Cropper, Okogu, Ventura Alvarado (Club America)

Namdynamo and USAMEX10 repped this.
  12. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    can we call up Osvaldo Alonso?

13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is rooting against Onyewu? Simply looking at the last 3 years of Gooch's career and making a rational assessment based on that does not equate to somone rooting against him. Sure, I wish that he became a mainstay next to Pique on Barcelona and won the next 3 CL's. I'm sure you would like something similar. We're not hear debating how good we'd like players to be. The debate is on who should be on the team because we THINK that they can get the job done. I know you are a good dude, but I get aggravated when people act as though someone's failure to have faith in the same player that they have faith in is tantamount to soccer treason. It's not.

End. Of. My. Rant.

LouisZ repped this.
  14. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if JK is interested in him I doubt FIFA will let him switch to the US because he already played for Cuba in the 2007 Gold Cup

15. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm mistaken but you're talking more about analysis, which i distinctly pointed out I completely agree with. We all have opinions and offer analysis. What I was referring more to are the people who just bash one player while propping up another, without any analysis. Happens all the time with various players.

If people don't have confidence in Gooch right now, I'd actually agree. If they offer reason why, even better. I'm referring more to the people who don't offer analysis and can be seen somewhat often bashing certain players to prop up their favorite, and my point was it shouldn't just be either/or as a deeper pool benefits everyone.

If I didn't make that distinction clear enough, my bad. Thought I did.

16. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even .... Bornstein?!?! :speechless: Good God, don't give Klinsmann any ideas!

17. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pontius signed a contract extension with DC. I was hoping he'd try Europe.

18. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    why are people so high on Morales? he cant even make the bench for a 2 Bundesliga team

19. j0osh

j0osh Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a good prospect. From what I've heard and read Morales can;t get on for Hertha becasue the new coach brought in defenders from his fomer club and he's kind of just the odd man out. He's put in good performances for the US and he is obviously rated by Klinsmann. I think If my November sceanrio plays out where we are playing primarily young, European based players, then he will get called. But in a A+ full strength side, he's not even close. He's is probably our number 7-10 CB or DM right now.

20. PANDEMONEUM

PANDEMONEUM Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Club:
    Asteras Tripolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i really like your list
    the only 2 that i dont are Castillo and Orozco
    even if some of those guys cant make it cause of their club teams
    that is still a group, id like to see

21. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do keep in mind that we did play veterans in our 2 November friendlies against Slovenia and France last year, so I wouldn't put it past Jurgen to play veterans in Russia and also keep in mind that this will be happening during the MLS playoffs which makes MLS call ups a bit difficult. So hypothetically I'm gonna say we leave out MLS players in playoff contention and veterans. This is the squad I'd like to see

GK: Guzan (Aston Villa), Kennedy (Chivas USA), MacMath (Philadelphia)

Forwards: Boyd (Rapid Wien), Altidore (AZ), Johannsson (AGF)

Mids: Corona (Tijuana), Williams (Hoffenheim), Torres (Pachuca), Edu (Stoke), Gatt (Molde), Feilhaber (New England), Kljestan (Anderlecht), Rogers (Stevenage)

Defenders: Orozco (San Luis), Parkhurst (Nordsjaelland), Cameron (Stoke), Johnson (Hoffenhiem), Castillo (Tijuana), Lichaj (Aston Villa), and for the hell of it Chandler. It wont be cap tying so I'm sure he'd gladly come on board.

22. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    yeah Jurgen will wanna win look good and gain rep for USA against a tough Euro team like Russia, its not gonna be a full on cupcake squad

LouisZ repped this.
  23. Weaksauce

Weaksauce New Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    November friendly should be a combination of U-23 and Dual National Players

GOALKEEPERS (2): Brad Guzan, Tim Howard
    DEFENDERS (9): Seb Hines, John Anthony Brooks, Timmy Chandler, Adam Henley, Zak Whitbreat, Eric Lichaj, George John, Geoff Cameron, Fabian Johnson
    MIDFIELDERS (9): Danny Williams, Mikkel Diskerud, Ricardo Bocanegra, Joe Corona, Josh Gatt, Joe Gyau, Brek Shea, Alfredo Morales, Connor O brien
    FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore, Andrew Wooten, Terrence Boyd, Aron Johannsson

Also send out an invite to our long shot dual nationals: Gotoku Sakai, Thomas Delaney, Michael Hoyos, Miguel Ponce

24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think @ Russia will be as many vets as possible, and any MLS regular who's out of the playoffs. Think the GC will be the same, where it will be vets with a few youngsters. Our chemistry is overall so poor, and our top guys have spent so little time together under JK, I don't think we can forgo opportunities to have our vets build chemistry, as much as I want young guys getting looks.

Cupcake is the opportunity for young guys, and I think for 4-5 they will earn the opportunity there to play in the GC. Unless our full NT form changes in the enxt 6 months, that's what I see. I'd definitely prefer younger guys playing in friendlies and the GC, but the NT as a whole is such a mess still, I don't see it happening.

25. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With New England out of the playoffs I also wouldn't mind Lee Nguyen getting a shot