Not here to Bale you Out- The Other Teams' Thread - [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    The biggest problem for Moyes has been Carrick's long-term absence.

2. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    agreed

but it seems that you lot are just starting to turn the corner and now you are losing several players to injury

may actually work for Moyes who seems better with a smaller squad

3. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ah, Mr Bond, we've been expecting you.

4. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Utd battering poor West Ham side

may have a couple of sackings by the end of the week- Cardiff and West Ham

5. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He is on Ronaldo - Messi level.

6. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    So far this season. Let's see whether he can even sustain it for a season, leave alone 4-5 seasons in a row as Ronaldo and Messi have done.

7. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nothing to suggest his form would dip. I always felt he was let down by mediocre players around him (unlike Ronaldo and Messi).

8. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    Also not doing it against European opposition and without the grind of European competition. Not many players of Suarez's calibre have the luxury (with regards to their domestic form) of not having to worry about either the CL or Europa League.

He has been exceptional, though. Don't think the Prem has seen a goalscorer with such a flair for the spectacular since Henry.

9. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    FYP

10. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    Well, you're free to disagree, obviously. I don't think Ronaldo ever quite hit the heights of Henry and now Suarez in terms of style/ingenuity of goalscoring. Not that it really matters, though.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  11. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    for those keeping an eye on the lower Leagues

things not looking so good for Pompey and unless they get things sorted they face the possibility of going out of the League

12. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Really not. Has to be said that their fans are amazingly loyal. They are drawing more than 15,000 a match (to put it in context, that's as much as nearly half of the Championship clubs).

You can see the disparity here and it's not as though they're seeing quality footy right now.

http://espnfc.com/stats/attendance/_/league/eng.4/english-league-two?cc=5901

13. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    #63 fernb8, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    no question of their support but I do wonder how much of they will be able to impact results. Have to say that they have backed the team immensely so far, when many others would have cut and run. Just wondering if that is one of the few things keeping them going and ultimately having the best attendance is not going to get them awarded any League point

it should help them in the long run but Luton Town, one Division, below would be the third best supported team in League One based on attendances

14. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You're going to have to help me out with this one mate. Could you elaborate?

15. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    :oops:

posting on the go

fixed now

16. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Gotcha.

I would have to think that in two ways the crowd will help. The first of course is gate receipts and my point about loyalty means that although they have to shed some old debts/problems the income going forward should be huge in terms of them rising up the tables.

They would have to invest much more sensibly, but even a moderate amount of cash in League Two, by and large, is a great thing. Luton, whilst not top, are right up there and should be back soon.

The other aspect is volume. Clearly home results have not been there so far, but you'd much rather have 15,000 cheering you on than 6,000 and at some point that has to give the team a lift and an edge. Who knows how much 1 point driven by the energy of the crowd (if they can provide it) will mean.

Bad momentum is very dangerous for a team sliding down the divisions, but it doesn't take much sometimes to reverse that. A late winner in a match could be all it takes.......

17. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't think he's going to keep this pace up

18. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Put him in Real or Barca, I think he can. To each his own opinion in the end.

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  20. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    in a funny sort of way I think the larger crowds may work against them at times. I find it similar to Luton Town in that the clubs in the Conference treat their away game to Luton Town as their Cup Final- they get to play a former Top Flight club at a nice ground in front of a big crowd and thus generally why Luton has had it shares of struggles to get out of the Conference and back in the League (four years and counting atm). I agree with your remaining points in that the cash revenues are a huge bonus but just looking at the Conference atm it is apparent that there are several former League clubs who suffered similar fates as that similar to Pompey.

I believe the saving grace for Pompey will be that only two clubs are going down and they should have enough, in terms of talent and support, not be one of those two clubs.

21. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    Very 'adventurous' line-up from Sherwood against Southampton. Adebayor and Soldado up front with a midfield four of Eriksen, Dembele, Sigurdsson and Lamela.

Maybe he's not that interested in the job?

22. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    well noted

think he is trying to break the "shackles" from AVB and hope that they can be the Spurs of old and win some 4-3 games while losing 3-2. Almost any form of entertainment should appease the Spurs fans in the short term.

Jack Cork starts for Soton.

23. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    this game is either going to be 0-0 or 3-3

24. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    what is Sherwood playing at?

25. Naughtius Maximus