Not here to Bale you Out- The Other Teams' Thread - [R]

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    real shame that Arsenal sold Oezil in the January window

looked a good player for them :p

2. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'll never forget it for sure. I remember the MOTD that evening as well as the scattered updates on Grandstand throughout the afternoon. It affected everyone who watched it and especially those who were going to matches in that era where the threat of a crush was ever present.

I am also okay with the fans calling for justice who were maligned in the media and accused of all sorts. The clear cover up that followed took far too long to shift and hopefully we will see some closure soon.

Where I do take exception is those who have elected to be Liverpool fans in the past decade or so and who have adopted the 'Justice for the 96 mantra' as their own and refer to it often. They were not there, they largely weren't even in England at the time watching events unfold and it did not affect them in any way shape or form. This may be controversial, but these people are tapping into a culture of victimhood that they have no right to, simply because they chose the team. I expect this will be controversial, but I am going to say Hillsborough affected people like fern and myself far more than any recent Liverpool fan and to have them talk about justice, well, sorry but it is annoying and actually demeaning to those who are from the area or where fans at the time.

I want justice and I feel deeply for the Liverpool community who had to face this awful event, but when you started supporting the team in 2007 and constantly calling for it, sorry, you look stupid. I see it pushed hardest from people who seem to be compensating for their relative newness and are demonstrating their passion for the club as though because of this tragedy, it somehow makes them better and more worthy fans because of this. To me this is demeaning.

There is a difference between memorializing the victims (Never Forget the 96 is absolutely a positive way to approach this) and pushing an agenda that implicitly suggests that you were somehow affected as a result of a historical event related to what is, in effect, an optional flag of convenience.

I am not one of those who secretly believe that Liverpool fans were to blame, or that The Sun isn't disgusting, or that the senior police officials committed ills, so please don't paint me as that. This is simply a note addressed at newer fans who have adopted a 'badge of honour' they have zero right to. This clusterf**k was too important to be used as such.

3. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    could not have said it better @Kerry Dixon's Boots

for me you summed it up perfectly. By all means people are allowed to have an opinion on the matter but I can not agree more with you when it comes to those using the tragedy as a crutch for their support for Liverpool- and sadly there are quite a few of them out there.

On the other hand with the release of all of the new evidence some of those who attacked Liverpool fans at the time and thereafter (The Sun and Steven Cohen) should be ashamed of their accusations and should rightfully apologize and offer to assist the search for the real justice of that day as vehemently as they announced their own agendas.

4. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    the bestest Welsh player of all time is now on the pitch

5. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    with that being said that was a cracking header from him into Podolski for the third

6. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Robbie Savage unretired? Awesome!

Arsenal wrap up the three points in the meantime.....

7. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    was thinking more of Gareth Hall

8. hudson hooligan

hudson hooligan Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 6, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3-1 to Arsenal in the 80th minute

The race for the Fourth Place Trophy will be tight

9. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Still think Le Arse nip it. Everton HAS to beat Citeh and not slip up another time.

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, the point is, it wasn't just the incident itself... it was what happened AFTERWARDS with certain police officers working to create misinformation and misdirection, actually changing witness statements, etc. etc

Anyway, as you go on to say, it was a sad and sorry day for the football 'family', which includes Chelsea, obviously.

Blueallthru and fernb8 repped this.
  11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Let's be honest, if Lukaku comes back to us next season or we loan him out elsewhere, do we really want Everton fighting it out for a CL place instead of Arsenal? Once Ozil, Ramsey, Walcott and the rest are fit and in decent form again, they're a decent side and will give a better showing than the toffees.

I mean, no offence to the toffess but I think Arsenal are a better side, tbh.

Blueallthru repped this.
  12. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Arsenal are a better side and would do better in Europe but I think the if Arsenal / United, of course united are out but if Arsenal also end up out of the CL it would do the league better. Liverpool would keep Suarez, and spend big to stay in the top four. Arsenal / United would both have to invest heavily to try to rejoin the top four. And Everton will get some extra funds to invest in some players, I don't see them staying in the top four while playing in Europe but overall we would see Liverpool retain their best player and one of if not the best in the league currently in Suarez, and Arsenal / United would invest much more than if they were in the CL and Everton would have extra funds to invest.

The more quality in the prem the better, although teams in the Spanish, french, or German leagues have it easier each week and can rest key players before European nights, I love the competitiveness of the epl.

13. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    fernb8 repped this.
  14. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I still think long term, Suarez goes to Spain. It's tough for Liverpool. Do they cash in on 60m quid which is likely what he'd fetch or do they hold on to him. Without him, I'm not sure they're top 4. With him and no other competitions to fight in, their top 4. I'm not sure what kind of treasure chest FSG is willing to give, but could you imagine if they're willing to spend say 50m quid plus the sale of Suarez? They go from a good team with depth issues, to a side that can compete on all fronts.

And I stand by my comments earlier. Our league, even with the debacle at WHL last summer, has tons of money to spend. Yes the Spuds didn't spend it well, but there were only a few who were questioning the purchases. Most, myself included, was looking up North and thinking, bloody hell, they are going to be a tough out. It's always easy in hindsight to judge. The same could have been said for young Mr. Henderson at Liverpool. He was written off, but here he is, one of the better players in the league this season. Completing more passes than anyone outside of Yaya. Someone with more knowledge than me, which frankly, is everyone here can give the exact amount, but doesn't promotion warrant 15m quid? I've never seen a window like last season. Norwich, Swansea, Cardiff, Soton, Everton, and Sunderland spent money like I haven't seen before. It doesn't always work out, but I'd much rather see this, than the opposite. Last summer will be the norm going forward as money continues to flow into the league. Just think if Tottenham get a competent manager(Sherwood might be it), Newcastle get a competent owner, West Ham get rid of Fat Head, Liverpool finally get BACK to the CL, and Everton get in there. That's a lot of quid to spend.

Looking up if you ask me.

15. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  16. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Used to love that league. Now it's shite.

17. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Different expectations, Gerrard has been underwhelming given what he promised much like Rooney.

Keane has been extremely bitter about United and Fergie since he was kicked out of the club. It is not as if he doesn't carry a grudge.

Fantastic post KDB.

18. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I disagree with this. I don't think Liverpool could ask for more out of him. It is kinda like saying Shearer promised much but never delivered while at newcastle.

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    IIRC when Bitey McBiteman was out with his ban, Liverpool's results weren't a lot worse... I mean, not like they have been over the past 10 games, (and we don't know if that's going to continue, do we), but this season after Suarez came back, apart from this latest spell.

He'll be a loss but not as bad as some have predicted plus, as you say, they can always bring in someone else to do a job.

Blueallthru repped this.
  20. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well that's two fold. Firstly, Sturridge might be the second best striker in the league. If not the 2nd, then easily the 3rd with Aguerro in front of him. So when Suarez was out, Sturridge filled in nicely. There's drop off there, but not much, say like if Le Arse lost Girroud. So having a really good deputy helped Liverpool immensely. Secondly, Liverpool didn't have to play in Europe this season. Spuds, Swansea, Yanited, Citeh, Le Arse, and us did and I think Newcastle might have been in Europe as well. That's their main competition in the league. With only having to focus on domestic results and mainly the league, it isn't any wonder that they've had an uptick in results this term.

There isn't a ton of depth at Anfield. The difference maker is Rodgers. He's really just that good. Losing Suarez would be a blow, but something tells me that Rodgers would get who he wants and get it right.

At this point I'm more curious to watch the final four matches for this lot. Losing Sturridge potentially to injury and Henderson to suspension might be their undoing. We'll have to wait and see. For us to win the league, we need more than a win at Anfield. We need Citeh to drop points. Not sure that's going to happen, but I also thought that Citeh would be Liverpool.

Buckle up, this will be the best finish in the league in a very long time. 3 teams in with a shout and about 6 teams in the relegation zone.

Naughtius Maximus and Cody667 repped this.
  21. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Also, don't underestimate the fact that all 3 of last season's top 3 had new managers (half-new for Chelsea).

Continuity is a positive as well under a half-decent manager.

22. BluePict

BluePict Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I remember it very well. I also remember Heysel in 1985. I remember Kenny Dalglish on the telly blaming Chelsea fans masquerading as Liverpool supporters for the manslaughter/murder inflicted on the innocent. John Smith, the Liverpool chairman at the time, also blamed Chelsea fans for Heysel. I am no stranger to the scouser mentality – criminal minds that will do or say anything to avoid admitting responsibility for their crimes,

Oh what lovely supporters. . .Flash forward to 2007 and Liverpool fans in Athens stealing Final tickets from children supporters of their own club. I have Never heard of any supporters of any other club ever doing something as despicable that. Stealing tickets of their fellow supporters. Words fail me. . .

Liverpool supporters have on more than one occasion charged turnstiles in massive numbers, setting up dangerous situations. . . it is what they do. A number of books written about the experiences of Liverpool fans in the 1970s and 1980s have mythologised bunking-in and the younger generation, seeking to emulate their elders, have little compunction about sneaking into a ground and occupying someone else’s seat. Countless occasions and incidents. . .

Hillsborough? I have sympathy. But to be honest - not that much.

23. ArmanSLR

ArmanSLR Member+

Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You can make arguments that nearly every club is the worst if you take the actions of a small group and use that to describe their supporters. We have had incidents that were embarrassing as well.

That statement you made at the end is nearly as bad as what you described pool supporters doing. SMH:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Hopefully no one uses your statement to describe chelsea fans.

fernb8 and eriol repped this.
  24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Indeed...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Headhunters

Are THEY representative of most Chelsea supporters? Well, they don't represent me, that's for damned sure!

But I particularly like the bit towards the end...

In 2000, Chelsea Headhunters formed a temporary alliance with other British hooligans supporting Cardiff City, Swansea City, Rangers and Leeds United

I mean, violence, thuggery and even attempted murder is one thing... these things happen... but backing up LEEDS SUPPORTERS??? WTF? :mad:

:D

25. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    agreed with Arman and Naughtius. The overwhelming majority of fanbases have their collection of trouble makers and/or idiots who do not represent the whole and sadly for some clubs, including ours, there is a larger contingent of bad fans who paint the entire group in a negative light. For example, despite the disaster at Hillsborough it has been widely reported that Liverpool fans sing and continue to sing the airplane song when they play Manchester United. I am sure that the collection of idiots who participate in signing that song do not represent the majority of Liverpool fans nor do they realize the hypocrisy of what they are doing. In recent events an Ipswich fan, yes Ipswich who are probably some of the more tame modern day fans unless they are playing Norwich, got into trouble for launching racial abuse at Hughton- are we now to believe that all Ipswich fans are racist. The examples could go on and on but when it comes to our lot- we have sadly earned a poor reputation for a reason but that does not mean that every Chelsea fan should be held with disdain unlike this idiot.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news...borough-facebook-comments-chelsea-fan-6996560

Naughtius Maximus repped this.