Norwich v Liverpool FC - EPL - April 28 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Apr 23, 2012.

1. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did we actually win? During the begining of the second half I was thinking here we go again but they pulled it out. Great stuff from Luis and SG!

2. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sort of felt like Suarez has been carrying that hat trick inside him all season, it finally came out today courtesy of some poor defending by Norwich.

3. jeffcoop

jeffcoop BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 11, 2006
    Central Indiana
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, Suarez sometimes makes me think of the Daily Bugle's anti-Spiderman headlines from my comic book-reading youth : "Luis Suarez: Threat or Menace?" Wonderful to see him take his chances today.

4. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A little unfair really and not enough credit to Suarez. We have been missing chances by the bucketful all season. The first two were not easy finishes and he proved himself clinical in both instances. He pressured the defender very well on the second goal and still had quite a bit to do to score.

The third was opportunistic and a little luck mixed in. Once in a lifetime kind of goal. I don't think it will harm his confidence going into the Cup Final next weekend.

5. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just can't get enough

6. demolitionlover

Jan 29, 2007
    Butte
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comprehensive win. Finally. Nice work today boys :D

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That's the thing about South American strikers. They can't just do a hat-trick, it has to be an "artsy fartsy" one.

[​IMG]

8. Bobinhood

Bobinhood Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Toronto
    That should just about guarantee us a top 10 finish, proving that we are just as good as some of the other teams out there, if not better, on average, at least some of the time, especially on the road and on Saturday afternoons most of the time. :D and you can take that to the bank.

Nice hat trick i must say.

9. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    95 percent of me is estatic and in awe of suarez's goofy genius... 5 percent of me is furious that Kenny hasn't played Gerrard behind him enough (or at all?) this season...

Agger is a boss...

10. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Didn't intend to demean Luis' effort - the finishing was class. Norwich gave him two opportunities and he took them beautifully. The third was goal-of-the-year level.

11. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Agger really is boss, isn't he. Worked in well with Jose on the left.

Well that made a change didn't it? I thought "Wow!" we've got that shit over with, 2 shots from Luis that "Normally" hit the post, went in the bag. The one he laid on for Steve looked like one of old as it came off the back of the defenders head.

Second half we back slid a bit. Jonjo hitting the cross bar and puting one over that looked easier to put in. Then we let them get a string of corners. Always good moments for us :rolleyes:

And then Luis, the cheeky little bugger hit a 50 yarder. I was watching the keeper, he really thought he was going to crash into the post and didn't reach out as far as he could. Well clear but "confused" We really needed that 3rd goal, had they scored and made it 1-2 it wouldn't have been fun anymore...:rolleyes:

Nice confidence booster for next week. Fulham at home on my birthday and the Chavs come Sunday.

12. ScholesyLFC

ScholesyLFC Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Holladay, Utah
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just got back from the match and had a great time as usual. Those Norwich fans are knobs with the copy cat songs, nothing original, must have been watching Mancs games over and over again to work out what they wanted to try and sing. They were easy to shout over with numerous proper songs.

I thought the team played well today, one or two shaky moments from one or two players but bottom line is we won, 3-0 and Suarez found the net - as Scouse said - on shots that normally would have been 'unlucky'.

To see Suarez score a hatrick was fantastic .

#Cloudnine

1 person likes this.
  13. ThatEndDown

ThatEndDown Member+

Dec 2, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched the match on the replay (didn't catch it this afternoon); that third goal....holy shit! Brilliance. :D

14. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Get in Well done Suarez. How many games this season has he been threatening a performance like this. Anyone who doubts that he's not a natural finisher will hopefully be proved wrong next season.

15. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was there, too, and among the Norwich fans. Petty, unimaginative bell-ends but I bit my tongue as Suarez and Gerrard did them for the first. Easy to sit back and enjoy the other two.

16. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    There's a look at what our season might've been had we scored even half of our woodwork records. :eek:

17. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Mistakes have been made, not just in terms of recruitment and selection but also how we have deployed our players. Gerrard is not a Schweinsteiger nor Alonso type of player, although he seems to think he is. He is far more effective much further forward. Looked at that first time ball to Suarez and then compare with the extra two touches-- with more space and much simpler opportunity-- that Downing later needed for the flick from Suarez which resulted in Shelvey's effort on the cross bar. The transition from defence to attack determines the quality of chances and these have largely been poor.

18. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Apart from the obvious missed chances I thought Jonjo played well. I'm very excited about his development.

19. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And you what was a change from previous matches? That ball was attacked by about five players!

20. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think the reason gerrard has played deep so much this season is Kenny hasn't trusted Hendo in that role. However he has shown more than once now he can do it so now hopefully we'll get to see that a bit more

21. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Henderson seems to be feeling the pressure of playing on the grand stage of top flight football. At TSoL, he was a prodigy, but at Anfield the expectations are far higher, I think. He's still pretty young, so he may grow into the boots, but he's trying to fill either Gerrard's or the likes of Danny Murphy, depending on how you see his role.

The other issue is that there is no way he was worth a £15M transfer fee, let alone £20M. When you consider that Liverpool paid £10.5 M for Raul Meireles, you can see the disparity. Chelsea only paid 1.5 more for Meireles than Dalglish did.

22. Kawklee

Kawklee BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Henderson will become a more dynamic version of Carrick while Shelvey will become more like a Gerrard. Henderson is definitely more technically gifted than Shelvey, but Jonjo has much more gumption to his play, more apt to take a risk. Henderson is athletic, technical, but so far does not take things into his own hands the way Shelvey tries to.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I see Henderson playing a deep role more successfully than Gerrard or Shelvey can. I guess he's a bit like Granero is to Real right now. A younger player who can play out wide to some extent, but whose real talents lie in the center where his dynamism and passing rhythm will be of better use.

I like how no one even talks about Adam anymore.

23. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agre with this assessment. Also with Stilts's crack at the fee-- I think we can all agree we desperately over-paid for all our summer signings, Adam included if one wants to be fair.
    The fact that he is too risk averse means he is best suited to that role. Playing further forward requires some balls in manner of speaking. Unless he grows a pair ...

Not his fault but he is far too limited for a team that has aspirations like Liverpool. Mid-table? Absolutely.

24. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree he has felt the pressure, but he hasn't been played in his best position until recently. Think he is more Alonso than Gerrard, nothing fancy, just keeps the ball moving quickly.

25. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, it was uncle woy who bought Meireles