North London Derby: Dempsey and Friedel on the bench

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Jgco, Nov 17, 2012.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I don't think it's a choice, it's just him. He looks like he's dogging it for some reason, always has. Got the same complaints at Fulham, but it's a false impression.

2. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Blame the non-American seems to be a much more prevalent problem round here.

3. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya think, in a forum (& sub-forum), dedicated to following Americans overseas? Overall, I see it as fairly well balanced. There are 1) "Americans-can-do-no-wrong" homers, there are 2) those in the middle, who recognize that not only can Americans play well overseas, but do also play poorly from time to time, and there are 3) those to whom Americans rarely, if ever, play well.

My ignore list is fast filling up with #1's & #3's.

HartwickFan and Fanatical Monk repped this.
  4. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey criticism from Spurs supporters getting a lot worse. I don't know what to say to the ones I know anymore. They don't seem to understand what he does on the pitch and they label him as shit for being average, absent, or even making a small mistake in a decent performance. The only way to get the fans support will be to start scoring. I'm starting to think English fans, as a whole, are some of the more ignorant footballing bunch out there from what I've been seeing lately.. I don't mean to offend anyone there, just an incredible amount of idiotic analysis that comes out of England...

SAMBA repped this.
  5. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is Dempsey's M.O.

6. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Yanks Abroad is a good competitor for that honour...

7. DempC

DempC Member

Jul 31, 2007
    It's interesting that you say that, given that the single most glaring mistake costing the game for Spurs was a rash challenge by Ade and yet somehow the focus is on Dempsey who actually played decent.

I'm the first to admit Dempsey has had an avg to sub-par season so far. But there is no way a non-American of Dempsey's pedigree in the EPL gets this treatment by English fans. The inferiority complex many English have about America is laughably tragic and this is coming from someone who has his fair share of criticisms about America.

HartwickFan repped this.
  8. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How so?

9. nbarbour

nbarbour Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't feed the troll.

10. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Quick observations:

1) France should consider another keeper for their Nat team.

2) Spurs' defense should be playing in the Championship

3) AVB needs to a put a 'shoot on goal' quota on Bale/Lennon

oh and Deuce? He was average today.

11. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I blame Naughton. He's not American and he is poor. I blame Gallas. He is not American and is having a bad season. I blame Dembele. He is not American and he is hurt. Which is really Spurs biggest problem.

The whole "Defoe is too selfish, Bales stinks, Dempsey sucks" trifecta is pretty silly all the way around.

Anyone who thinks Demps is Spurs primary problem is a fool.

Anyone who thinks Demps is have a great year is not watching.

But Spurs have problems so not related to Demps it's not funny. Spurs fans who wanted him to waltz in and score 17 goals on this team have not been paying attention to his career.

SAMBA, Bees Knees and Fanatical Monk repped this.
  12. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, I guess Dempsey blew the game for Tottenham today?

wixson7 repped this.
  13. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you are referring to Dempsey's goal scoring history, it has been trending up and he has been getting more proficient scoring-wise with Fulham. If you are referring to the way he is being used (or not used) with Tottenham, I agree.

14. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see the game but did listen to the last few minutes of the first half and most of the second half on the radio as I was driving. I think the announcers were from TalkSport. No visuals so at the mercy of the commentators and their interpretation of the match. Anyway, this is what I heard:

Both commentators agreed before the second half was over that Adebayor blew the match and owed his teammates, managers, club and supporters a huge apology for his stupidity leading to the red card.

I heard Dempsey's name mentioned it seemed like only about 5 times but 2 of those times he was heavily slagged. First time was fairly early in the second half when the color commentator said,
    "One player I am not impressed with is Dempsey. He is sauntering around the pitch like he is playing for himself and not for his team. I can't understand it." The other commentator said, "Maybe he is conserving his energy for later?" The color commentator said something to which they both had a good chuckle.

Late in the match, there was something involved Dempsey that didn't go so well and the main commentator asked the other, "Is Dempsey sulking?". The color commentator said, "I don't know if he is sulking but I do know that he has not helped his team one iota today. This is a team game even when things are going bad and not just about an individual. etc., etc., etc."
    The commentator who was slagging CD the most was "Bobby".

The other impression I got was that even thought Spurs were being run ragged by Man City, the Spurs had chances that with some luck to get a draw from the match. One play where it sounded like if Bale had just rolled the ball across the mouth of goal, Defoe was there to easily tap it in for a sure goal but instead, Bale shot it himself and no goal. The commentators did use the "greedy" label on Bale for that play. Another great chance was on a corner where the ball came to Defoe and all he had to do was put a foot on it but instead whiffed.

So these commentators did not pin the loss on Dempsey, but they did single him out for a lack of effort and impact.

15. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The previous Fulham captain, Danny Murphy...

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Except his "tending up" has been, I think, in part due to him being at Fulham long enough for them to value his talents enough to play a complimentary style. Spurs do not. Over a few seasons Clint and Fulham developed a symbiotic relationship that played to his strengths - he is being asked to slot into Spurs in a role that will not produce, from him, 17 goals in a season - or at least is not likely to.

Which does not mean he can't be helpful or important for the side - but his role at Spurs needs to be a trailing clean-up option as well as a decoy/option for the wingers. What you want out of the hole position, give that Defoe is likely to be front-running, Bale and Lennon are inclined to race down the wings. If double-teaming teams leave Clint open in the hole - and he gets played the ball. Or if teams have to slide a man to him, it leaves Bale/Lennon more room. And he has done a bit of this, but the team is still not using him as effectively as they could - and he is not playing this role as effectively as he can.

I don't think expecting him to come from Fulham and their system and walk into Spurs and AVB's system and do the same was every realistic.

17. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Folks, I was taking the piss.

18. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if it is because this is the first time in the recent past that we have had a player that we feel very personally about in this position that we are noticing that his club fans are slagging him. I have a feeling that clubs that are not doing as well as the club fans hoped will trash just about anyone of any nationality that was recently bought as a replacement for a fan favorite. I have a strong feeling that Pool fans trashed Andy Carroll after Torres was sold, for example when he was not producing.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Exactly - it has nothing to do with anti-Americanism and has everything to do with not understanding the player or the situation. Spurs fans want Demps to be van der Vaart, without any rational understanding of how not van der Vaart Demps is. Which is not to say Demps has been fantastic - it looks like he is actually trying too hard, in a way, rather than being savvy and sneaky, which is what he is good at - popping up unexpectedly to do damage.

But he stole points in Manchester - one of two game winners, and Spurs is riddled with injuries and ailing in the back. Which is their real problems, as evidenced by their goals against and goal differential. But being a loud soccer fan does not always make you a smart soccer fan. Demps could do much better, for sure, but so could half of Spurs at the moment. They need Dembele to replace Huddelstone to really turn things around.

And, btw, the BS fans analysis of Defoe is similarly simplistic. He and Bale are very effective for this team right now - not perfect, by any means, but more productive than Lennon and Demps for sure - willingness to pass or not.

ttrevett repped this.
  20. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will take this opportunity to slag off on Bale though. He is a quality winger no doubt, but the man needs to pass the ball every once in a while when he gets into the attacking third. Granted he scored on his run yesterday, but Clint was in a perfect position, and I mean perfect position to receive a diagonal into the box, and I'm not sure Bale even knew he was there. I believe Bale's considerations go like this:
    1. Run and shoot
    2. Run and shoot
    3. Run, run, run to the endline, and.... shoot
    4. Run, look as if you are thinking about passing, and shoot
    5. Just shoot.

For the first time yesterday I saw a bit of irritation and it seemed some desperation on Clint's face when he wasn't getting that return ball after setting the plate for Bale specifically.

21. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you take Aaron Lennon's pace and dial it down to average I think you would have a player that would struggle to make the 18 for an MLS club. He's a horrible footballer. Lucky for him he can run past people.
    AVB is a disaster and this team is a mess. If you're Bale you have to be ringing your agent up now looking for a way out next summer.