North London Derby: Dempsey and Friedel on the bench

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Jgco, Nov 17, 2012.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5-2 90+

Chamberline with the goal I believe.

Is the clock ticking on the AVB experiment?

2. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D Each of us has his cross to bear . . .

3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gallas is worse simply because he plays and Bornstein doesn't.

4. Jgco

Jgco Member

Jul 14, 2011
    It was Walcott. And no to the AVB question.

This defeat is 100% Adebayor's fault.

5. Mario Balotelli

Mario Balotelli Member+

United States
    Feb 28, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friedel's positioning is so much better than Lloris. Hopefully big Brad is back in the starting 11 after this.

6. DontJustStareAtIt

Jul 2, 2011
    Tottenham impressed me until the red card.

7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Abebayor was stupid but Gallas' horrendous defense continues to handicap Spurs as well.

Fanatical Monk repped this.
  8. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    CD had nice touches, but put in a bad situation. here's where i have a problem with deuce:
    - he appears to not work very hard, and not a 'work hard for your teammates' type of guy.
    - not sure why he looks slow with decision making when ball at his feet. he's been doing that all year.
    - couple great passes and flicks, but 1 picky moment at the end, he gets the ball top of the box, stands on it, turns, shields, holds, then back passes to arsenal. it was all just really slow.

with that said he did nice things today with the ball, should see time mid-week. but for me it's that attitude that i hate from him.

props to whoever said it above, bale hogs it and scores, clint it mad that he didn't get the return pass, so he doesn't even go get the ball out of the net. that was a huge tell for me.

ok, off to post in an Adu thread or why Seattle has turf, or to complain about why tix aren't available for the october 2013 home games yet.

deuteronomy repped this.
  9. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Member+

Apr 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint played better than he has recently...other than that 1 giveaway where he hesitated, turned and passed it to an Arsenal player. He held the ball up, got fouled a lot, linked up with the other attacking 3. If they had someone to take set pieces, he'd have more of a chance to score.

Spurs will do better when they get some players back from injury. I have a feeling they'll go with Dembele at AM when he comes back, and I wouldn't blame them. They need some kind of option other than just playing the ball down the wings and Dembele can dribble through the defense and open up chances. If they play 4-4-2, Dempsey's best position is where Bale is, if they play 4-5-1, he just doesn't seem to get much of the ball and they haven't put in many good crosses. He might just be the top backup at forward and wide midfield, or he can try to find a better fit at another club.

10. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey has about the worst body language I've ever seen by a player.

wixson7 repped this.
  11. oscar_in_fw

oscar_in_fw Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have never seen a game where Dempsey looks like he is trying very hard or hustling, other than when he is mixing it up with another player (e.g. hurting his elbow against Terry's face, face job against Jamaica). But anyone who analyzes his positioning, suggests he is always all over the pitch trying to be in the right position for the pass/run/whatever.

freisland repped this.
  12. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Jermaine Defoe..... almost as likable as John Terry.

13. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    It was a pass to the goal. I have rethought my impression of the Spuds, it's not that they dont like passing to each other, they just prefer passing to the goal.

14. DempC

DempC Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Dempsey actually had a decent game today.

15. Pandy Flapjack

Pandy Flapjack The Pompitous of Love

Aug 30, 2003
    Van by the River
    Have you ever watched Berbatov?

16. DempC

DempC Member

Jul 31, 2007
    It's funny b/c Dempsey is going through the same stuff all over again, even though he's an established EPL player. The body language critiques are now back again.

I would agree that Dempsey's body language, to the uninitiated, is poor. But you would think by now we're kind of past that, unless you pretty much haven't paid attention to Dempsey. Much like Berbatov, Dempsey plays with a relaxed gait, but works hard at the same time.

It's different schools of thought. The whole "hey look at me all frantic all the time" approach may appeal to outside observers, but it's not always a good thing.

eric_appleby, Bees Knees and freisland repped this.
  17. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason why this is the case is b\c he's just joined a new team with higher expectations. I made the body language comment not as a critique of his form (as his body language is pretty consistent regardless of his form), but just as a general observation of the way how he appears while he's on the field, that's all. If his form is good, he'll be described as 'cool'. If it's bad, he's 'lazy'. Such is life.

18. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't it Dembele who was quoted recently with a comment about how hard Dempsey works?

19. Dave216J

Dave216J Member

Aug 1, 2001
    DC
    This actually, at a serious level, is why Dempsey is not a good fit. Spurs set out to use their speed on the wings and athleticism to beat teams, basically with heads down and juking. They can do this very effectively on the counter against top sides that hold possession, and sometimes against teams in the middle. This favors Bale, Lennon, and Defoe, and essentially announces "you can have 8 chances and 55% possession, we'll take 10 chances on the break and beat you 3-2." Dempsey is not a fit for this, he wants to put his foot on the ball a bit, he scores by making late breaks from midfield when an attack isn't quite a sprint, but perhaps a triangle on one side with a cross that is headed on or not well-cleared and he can anticipate it well.

If one or more of Bale/Lennon gets injured, or if Defoe loses form, Dempsey will round into shape well. He can play with Siggurdson, and he can link with Adebayor. He had a couple of clever combinations with the 10 men today, including one where Sandro made a nice run, Dempsey held the ball up long enough to find him, and Sandro tried to hit the return and got a corner. And the one player who really understands this way of playing - and who uses short dribbles and passes, not just slide-rule passes and sprints, is Dembele. Also, I think that Vertongen back a LB (or perhaps Assou-Ekotto) will also be less head-down and sprint than Naughton and Walker have looked so far.

Dempsey will sit, quite rightfully based on his recent form, when Dembele comes back. But I do think that a team with Adebayor up top, Sandro and Dembele deep, and one of Bale/Lennon plus Dempsey and Siggurdson would actually do better against most teams - though perhaps not your Chelsea/ManUs - by holding possession, allowing for better defense, and controlling the game, and having more variety of threat, while still having some speed to burn. I don't anticipate this happening until injuries require it, unfortunately, and it might never come to pass.

Selfish isn't quite the right word (although that Bale shot was ludicrous), but Spurs style at present is not to let any other players - from either team - catch up with Bale/Defoe/Lennon when they've gotten a step, just run through and shoot, or if forced to the end-line, ping a hard low cross in (or in Bale's case, just shoot). It works pretty well, though I'm sure their shot efficiency stats are awful, but it's not good enough to consolidate 4th place - too many matches where having 8 changes to 4 leads to a "shock" loss or score draw, where having 5 chances to 1 would have been much likelier to yield a win.

HouseHead78 repped this.
  20. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Aside from that shite pass back to Arsenal toward the end, what was poor about CD today? I'm yet again hearing many negative comments yet I saw fairly good link up play and a few really solid passes

FloridaFC2MLS repped this.
  21. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deuce played fine today. Nothing great, but not awful. Not much to say really.

22. DempC

DempC Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Dempsey had a decent game today. The negative comments are illogical.

Spurs lost because of an idiotic play by Ade and defensive frailties. Nothing at all to do w/ Dempsey. In fact, he had a lot to do with the few times spurs looked dangerous and actually helped Spurs overall look as dangerous as they were going to get today. Apart from the 1st 20 minutes, Spurs were atrocious.

Blame the American is, of course, a past time few fail to pass up. But those people are not smart and are disregarded by serious people.

23. Nastrabrahmus

Nastrabrahmus Member+

Mar 29, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    That's my feeling about it as well, but yet again he's being singled out as the player that sucks. Never mind thudd playing like shit, or the back four looking terrible, or Bales extreme selfishness.

I know I know, many Spurs fans on the web aren't level headed, but it's still annoying week in and week out seeing him being the one singled out

24. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    That is kind of why it was bad. He knows that as a sub he is in there to make a difference. He made a tertiary difference at best.

As to their style of play, the Dave216j post, I would say AVB is not attacking enough with athleticism. He needs to bombard the goal with 8 players and put the goshdarn ball in the box! He wants a team of racing stallions to play like prancing ponies: side pass, back pass, side pass, back pass.

He should have Bale and Lennon darting centrally all match using their speed, pull defoe wide, overlap the lb/rb and attack that goal ruthlessly. Put Dempsey on goal. Get the lead and kill the game. Instead most of their goals are coming off set pieces and they cant hold a lead to save their lives.

I think AVB is in love with everything he does. That ManU victory bought him some time, but once he has his full squad, he has to adapt to the EPL instead of expecting the EPL to adapt to him.

25. alocksley

alocksley Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    One thing Clint is fighting is that Bale and Dafoe do not share the ball much. They like to have a go themselves, even when it's at a bad angle, or a pass would be a better option. And both of them have had success doing this, so no one is about to tell them to stop. I'm afraid Dempsey is going to have to take this same approach in order to really show what he can do, because he is not going to be looked for in the box, even when open.