Non-Dutch World Football Thread

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Oct 24, 2011.

1. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Orange14, there is a switch of perspective in your story. The Morrocans have spend pretty much no time other than some vacations in Morocco. If you say that "none of US/German NT players has spent much time (if any) in the US" than that sounds as the same, but I think we have to brake it down to where they were taught the game and pretty much raised. The born thing only goes that far as a baby is not really honing his football skills at a club or on the street yet.

Do you have a good article or something about all the players that came from other nations? I would like to know if France taught them the game or that other country's did that for them.

Also don't forget Turkey, a country also heavily sponsored by Germany (Sahin being a big one)

2. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes all of them are born, raised and taught the game in Holland and have played for the Dutch youth teams often. Representing under 15/16/17/18/19 or even young Holland and then made the switch when the Moroccon FA stepped in for a first team request at them. Adam Maher was born in Morocco on a vacation of their parents. After that they just went back to Holland.

3. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    @DRB, I think in the case of France many of the players grew up there and developed their skills (though I can't be 100% sure). I'm pretty sure Zidane grew up in Marseille. My point is that many of the players' families came from former French colonies in Africa and those players are probably 1st generation French citizens (being born there).

Clearly the US experience with Germany is very much different compared to France and The Netherlands. Germany is also interesting in that not all the players of Turkish descent decided to play for Germany (the Altintop brothers for example).

5. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hope I'm not too direct, but my point is that USA is maybe doing what Morocco and Turkey also do. They let Germany do the raising and developing and then when they could be of use for the NT send them an invitation. Is this what you meant with that they have not spend much time in the USA or is it different?

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think it's a little different in that the families moved from Morocco and Turkey to Holland and Germany. In this case it was a US father (most likely someone who was serving in the armed forces; we still have 60,000 US soldiers based in Germany but don't ask me to explain why because I don't know) and German mother. The fact that the children of these unions turned out to be decent football players is good fortune for the US. Note also that this started prior to Klinsmann becoming the NT trainer. Your point about relying on the foreign country to do the development work is well taken and I agree with you.

7. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NOKzSo45vk"]Le contrôle de Pastore - YouTube[/ame]

8. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Pastore is class.

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    And it is truly amazing that the Argentine NT is rubbish given the players that they have. Another draw last week in the WC qualifying against Bolivia at home.

10. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    T. Silva next in line to join City apparently. Not looking good for the rest of Europe if City (are allowed to) keep spending money like this.

11. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    OT: Historically, the NATO was there to 'keep the Russians out, the Germans down and the AMericans in'. When the cold war came to an end and Germany was unified (basically the most succesful countries economically other than the US/USSR in either military alliance) the Russians, the Poles and the French wanted some incentive that signified that Germany doing anything stupid won't be tolerated. There's somethign in it for the US, too, though, as projection of power, and logistical support can be done much faster from a base that is closer to the theater of (likely) war. If you are wounded critically in Iraq, would you rather be flewn 5h to a hospital in Germany or 15h to a hospital in the US?

12. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Squad selection/coaching has been horrid for years. Riquilme and Zanetti each only played in 1WC.

13. Bran

Bran Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Nijmegen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    to kick some new life in this thread.

Anyone else also baffled at how terrible Dortmund is in the CL? being kings in the bundesliga but fails so hard in Europe. It is really sad to see, I quite like Dortmund.

14. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Goes to show that it's a different kind of animal the CL. Inter suck in the Serie A but top their group with 10 points in the CL.

Also playing chess on two boards has to do with it. Bundesliga and CL together is something else. It's difficult to cut through teams every week let alone two times a week.

Arsenal B team makes the final score in the group look a bit harsh with the Greeks having 2 times as many points as Dortmund.

15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If you can't defend a 2-0 lead at home, maybe you don't deserve to be playing after the holiday break. I think Dortmund have some injuries, but other teams do to. Other than Bayern, Bundesliga teams have not done all that well in CL competition.

16. Bran

Bran Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Nijmegen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It is also makes it pretty embarrassing that Dortmund ended last in a pretty easy group. You would think with all the talent, no matter how bad they play as team they would at least get a third place.

17. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It was the 2nd toughest group after Bayern's.

Arsenal is a good team as is Marseille who always do well in CHL & olympikaos is very strong at home.

They could have topped this group but inexperience really hurt them,played like complete amateurs. Marseille away legs,they had like 10-12 corners,20 odd shots on goal,60% off possession & still gave 3 goals on counter.

They were leading 2-0 at half time comfortably & then collapsed to 2-3.

I think they will come back real strong next year. They will take this experience & this will help them. Whatever talent you have you cant really play his amateurs.

18. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Barça B showed what a proper youth academy can do.

19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes they did! It's funny in that I was over on the Madrid board yesterday trying to find out who would be making the match day lineup for them tonight and there is a thread bemoaning the lack of a proper youth academy at Madrid and acknowledging that Barca are doing things much better. Go figure!

20. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah that was painful to see. It feels like they have taken a leap in further perfectionism while the Netherlands that has been copied by Spain and Germany has stood still for years, maybe a decade. I don't understand that Cruyff is not appointed in the Netherlands to lead all 13 RJO's, gets cart blanch to appoint all trainers he deems fit to do the job, structure everything as he wants. He has been the key figure in the whole Barca youth development system, yet he has to fight it out against a bunch of idiots at just 1 club. Why not modeling the system he has set up for Barca through the whole country with people that share all the same philosophy, one that is already carried here as it came from this very place.

There is one advantage in all this. Things where people have to fight for will receive greater attention and dedication by the people that did the fighting. If Cruyff/Bergkamp/Jonk win this whole battle, the invested energy will make them even more eager to make a success of their enterprise.

PS for the non Dutchies use google translation: 13 RJO's

21. Quackmore

Quackmore Member

Jun 5, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    1-3 for Barcelona, I'm loving this. Not because I have anything against Real Madrid as a club, just their fans on this board. Can't wait to read what Mourinho has to say again. He kept awefully quiet after the Ajax game.

22. Twefoju

Twefoju Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Bali, Indonesia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    i dont like both teams

but i feel sorry for Madrid, they seemed perfect this year until today

and it's always the same stuffs going on in El Classico for the past years

Madrid would seemed to dominate the game, but Barca just always find a way on their finishing even if they have less chance

23. Quackmore

Quackmore Member

Jun 5, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Are we watching the same game? Real Madrid is lucky it's only 1-3 at this point. Barcelona is just superior in every single way.

24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The interesting thing was how really awful CR7 was.

25. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Downright shitty. How is this guy better than Robben. Robben always brings his A game in big matches.

Ronaldo is a screw up in big games. Messi is miles better.