No, you're not entitled to your opinion. Read this article if you hope to thrive on the P&CE board

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Oct 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Seriously, this is a gem, especially in the internet age. It should be required reading for everybody.

http://theconversation.edu.au/no-youre-not-entitled-to-your-opinion-9978

2. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this indicate a change in moderation policy? ;)

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No. Obviously I'm not a philosophy teacher and I'm not going to keep people from posting their opinions here. But I think this article can apply, in the sense that I hope we can have the kind of discussions here in which we test each others opinions in a meaningful way. Not to shut people down, but to force them to think about what they just posted and be able to back it up while considering other points of views. When people post here they should be aware that -unless they are worthless trolls- their opinions will be tested, so they better be ready to defend them with a reasonable argument.

Mr. Conspiracy repped this.
  4. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the sentiment and the effort are sincerely appreciated.

Mr. Conspiracy repped this.
  5. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Without going into detail on the case studies used in the article, from a media/journalism perspective it's a shitty essay. Crap opinions should be exposed for what they are, not suppressed.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.