No Re-election Needed, The Mayor Turns to Coaching: Cherundolo at Hannover

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by supercooper, Aug 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    It truly is a good thing that he was able to attend.

2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hannover is going to rally around this and have a hell of a season, mark it. Hannover is going to need Cherundolo's leadership urgently this year, and i think he steps up. In the must humble inquiry possible, what is Hannover's goalkeeper situation like, are the guys they have good enough.

just another note i just found out, our neighbors to the south just had a tragedy of their own, De Negris was found dead in a hotel room in Greece. Not a good year for injuries and mortalities in soccer this year

3. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Fromlowitz is a good keeper. Not a great one, but a good one. He saved them some points this season already. But still, it's quite hard to predict how he will cope with the pressure of being Enke's successor.

4. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might be appropriate here, but just remember how lucky we are as US fans that Charlie survived. Other countries are having a lot worse right now.

5. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Macho went down with a season ending injury at Kaiserslautern, Fromlowitz not only filled in ably he won the starting job next season. He will do well.

6. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Fromlowitz did very well in the 6 games he started this season.

He's in a different situation now though, he's replacing our hero, the captain. Quite a bit of pressure, I hope it's not too much pressure, one shouldn't forget that he's still quite young.

7. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And extremely cocky/confident.

8. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    Agreed.

9. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    And that's why he was not really liked all that much here in the past.

Like I said, a lot of people feel he'S too much like Tim Wiese and don't mean that as a positive thing.

10. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Cherundolo came up with the idea to put Enke's #1 on the front of the jersey for the upcoming match against Schalke 04:

[​IMG]

11. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
  12. ianai

ianai Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Hampton, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if this has been brought up, and it's not important enough to scour the thread for, but it's funny so I figured i'd post. Was just looking at the H96 website in English, brwosing the team photo and noticed Cherundolo was missing. Looked agian, couldn't find him. Finally, I looked at the bottom where he is elaquently listed under the header: FAIL: Steve Cherundolo.

http://www.hannover96.com/CDA/profis0.html

EDIT: His team profile translated humorously as well :)

http://www.hannover96.com/CDA/profis0/portraits0/versteck-fuer-portraits/steven-cherundolo0.html

Even if there was no more laughter or smiles left in this world, Steven Cherundolo, would still be able to conjure up something. “Think positive!” would be the motto of the Californian with Italian-German roots. The US lad tackles and solves all problems with typical American optimism. The defender has a great passion for surfing and his happy-go-lucky attitude makes him one of the most likeable characters in the Reds’ team.
    In the right defensive position “Dolo” is beyond comparison, something which his 149 appearances in five years in the Bundesliga vouch for. The not desperately tall “Stevie” scored his debut goal with his head of all things, in the 2-0 away victory at Gladbach in the 04/05 season.
    Cherundolo has already achieved one great international sporting goal, namely qualification for the 2006 World Cup in his adopted homeland Germany. However progress to the last 16 was not to be and it all ended in the group stages.

13. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
  14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    How is Cherundolo in the Hannover records? I'd imagine he being there for 11 seasons is close to the top right?

15. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously wtf? All of these posts in a span of less than 5 minutes:
    Why don't you try reading the threads?

16. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude,he's working smarter,not harder. :)

17. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
  18. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has a way to go to catch Jorg Sievers. He was their goalkeeper for a long time. 384 league appearances according to the Wiki. Dolo is at 267.

19. BM-Hattrick

BM-Hattrick Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Jörg Sievers spent 14 years at Hannover, so Cherundolo has still 3 years to go if he wants to beat that record. To give credit where it is due, 11 seasons at the same club is very rare for a field player nowadays, especially if that field player comes from overseas.

20. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
  21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    How happy you made me, oh Mandy
    Well you came and you gave without takin'
    But I sent you away, oh Mandy
    Well, you kissed me and stopped me from shakin'
    And I need you today, oh Mandy

22. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has even a further to go to catch Peter Anders, but is is cool to see the American flag among the top players.

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/bundesliga/vereine/1-bundesliga/hannover-96-58/historie.html

Here are three screen shots from the above link. Kicker ranks the players by 1. BL appearances but I included Surmann's and Sievers' pages too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit: I also discovered the Windows 7 "snipping tool" in this endeavor http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/microsoft/ht/snippingtool.htm

23. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was mentioned on NSC that Cherundolo will likely extend his contract with Hannover. I guess he can continue to add matches to that total.

24. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Hannover sacked their coach after the first game of the Rückrunde; always a brillant idea. They are looking for the 3rd coach of the season now.

25. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Hannover is having a bad season.