No Re-election Needed, The Mayor Turns to Coaching: Cherundolo at Hannover

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by supercooper, Aug 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Cherundolo ever show the ambition to look for a different or higher rated club though?

The player's desire to move up or stay where they are can't be entirely discounted.

2. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Correct, but I think you can raise your salary with some moves. Take Oguchi. He will receive good offers in the future, even if Milan would be a total failure; "AC Milan" in his CV will raise his future salaries. There will always be a club willing to sign a Milan defender, and pay more than for a Standard Liege player.

3. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right,my suggestion is that possibly Steve thought he had as good a situation as he was ever going to get.

Not saying he's right or wrong in that self-assessment :)

4. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    He's in good company. Robert Enke could have easily moved to a bigger club, but he's still at Hannover.

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long was Hecking there? I assume he wasn't Stevie's first manager?

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Bolton wanted him but I'm pretty sure he might have had doubts about his PT there, so he stayed with a comfortable situation. He's fluent in German, got a German gf and pretty much known around time.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009

200 is pretty much a big deal anywhere in the world of football of today. I should say he's been consistent. Maybe not well enough to move to a bigger club, but enough to keep his club from being relegated. And he has several more years in him, enough to make him a LEGEND at Hannover.

8. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I think Cherundolo even had a verbal agreement with Bolton regarding personal terms, but he pulled out at the last minute. I don't remember why, but I also don't recall him saying anything about playing time concerns.

9. gmonsoon43

gmonsoon43 Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was 'Dolo that pulled the plug because he decided he wanted to stay in Hannover.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11895_2374760,00.html

The 27-year-old right back had reportedly been the subject of interest from The Premiership, although he denied any contact with Bolton Wanderers.

But he has decided not to take advantage of a special contract clause that would have allowed him to leave the Reds for an English club before the end of his current deal in June 2008.

People who are on these boards a lot know I think Cherundolo is vastly underappreciated by many American fans. Mainly because he never played in MLS, and a large majority of fans don't watch the Bundesliga on a weekly basis. (If they're going to watch European action it's usually England or Spain). So they see Stevie a couple times a year, and if he has an off day........they say "Steve Cherundolo is crap!!!!"

11. soccermusician

Oct 20, 2004
    he was the only one with some effort that day....

12. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    To be honest, I don't know why he got dumped on for the Mexico game. How many dangerous chances did Guardado create down his flank? He never got rounded from what I remember, and forced him to pump in crosses that were easily dealt with.

13. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He got caught upfield ,and while he didn't get rounded,he did let G get inside of him,which is in some ways worse.

But yeah,he wasn't as much of a clvsterfcuk as Boca.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Now that's informative. Anyone on Hannover messageboards or know what the fans really think of him? Surely he must be a club GOD. He's helped keep them up and mid tabled for years.

15. CCowden

CCowden Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but when people are claiming that Spector would have been a better choice for his "offensive contributions" I'm not sure how he would have managed to prevent that, especially considering he is slower than Dolo.

I think people (not you, just generally) have to appreciate that a high-pushing outside back presents some risks. Dolo and Spector are so good at getting forward and providing delivery that I think it's ok if they cheat up a once-in-a-while. It's not as if Dolo was caught up-field every time G got the ball.

16. CCowden

CCowden Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree.

It didn't make any sense that people were complaining about Dolo's inclusion after the loss, anyway, because his errors (on a team full of them) weren't the sources of the USA's biggest problems. The performances of Ching, Boca, and our mid were considerably more worrisome than anything Dolo did.

17. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if this has been answered yet, but Hecking joined the club in 2006. Cherundolo has been through seven managers during his tenure at Hannover.

18. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
  19. soonertony

soonertony Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just saw that story, absolutely horrible. How absolutely awful for his wife, who has now lost both her daughter and husband in the span of two years.

20. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tragic. Absolutely tragic. Nothing can prepare one for this. My heart goes out to his wife and child. Everyone must be shellshocked.

22. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    absolutely tragic.

i teared up when i read the bit about how their daughter died a few years ago, and he was so scared about losing their adopted 8 month-old daughter.

23. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
  25. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    I think there would have been no way that Stevie would have missed the memorial service and funeral.

[​IMG]