No news is no team

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by Metrogo, May 11, 2009.

1. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    York - York College, in Jamaica, Queens.

As far as getting into the city, FCNY has said that they are working on a plan to play some games within the city. How far along or how successful they are has yet to be determined.

2. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice Tour de France reference!!! LOL - sorry i wasnt clearer!

Well said!

3. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in 2010 NY could have it's first derby in US Open Cup:

As always, MLS teams will enter the competition in the 3rd Round. What is different this year is that pairing are grouped geographically making it much more likely that rivalries are kept fresh or new ones form. For instance Portland should it make it to the 3rd round will now be much more likely to face Cascadia Cup rival Seattle Sounders FC.

That's not all it is theoretically possible that Chicago Fire's PDL team could face their MLS squad.

And in 2010 FC New York supported by the Borough Boys could end up facing Red Bull New York in the first New York City derby of the modern era.

For all the latest US Open Cup information, news, scores, stats as well as history go to www.USOpenCup.com and follow along on Twitter.

4. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Understood, but it doesn't involve financial backing for a burgeoning team.

By the way, it is extremely unlikely that FCNY will start -- even at hofstra -- in 2010.

5. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    Why do you say that?

6. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    because he seems to think that no news = no team. pfft... hahaha.

7. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Because it's what I've heard from people who are likely to know.

8. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only time will tell!

9. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Was it the same people who said the Atlanta Silverbacks were going to merge with Arthur Blank's MLS endeavor, and Atlanta MLS would play at an expanded Silverbacks park? If so, take it with a grain of salt. The 'Backs are dead, and Atlanta MLS won't happen until at least the next round of expansion, if then, if ever.

10. owain

owain Member

Jul 29, 2007
    If I was a crazy, eccentric, powerful multi-multi-billionaire, I might try something like this:

- Buy the Cosmos name.
    - Renovate Icann (the original home of the Cosmos!) big-time and convince the city to put in subway stop by throwing money and influence around... or build a connector (or better yet, a monorail!) myself, I'm eccentric like that!
    - Join the USL, where there is no salary cap and throw ridiculous amounts of money at the best players I can find (a la the original Cosmos)
    - Focus strictly on the Open Cup and CCL with my billions/year salaried team. Decimate my USL-1 competition while drawing crowds across the country to see my team play their local USL-1 side... in the process, making MLS look a little silly.
    - Must win Open Cup, nothing else is acceptable
    - Must win CCL, nothing else is acceptable
    - Tour the world with my all-star team playing friendlies
    - Goal is to win the CWC

maybe I would bribe CONMEBOL into letting me into Libertadores or Sudamericana too, who knows?

This is one way to legitimize both the Open Cup and the CWC IMO. It would be a circus if this team actually made it to the CWC and the prospect of actually playing against 'another' world-class team. It would make MLS re-think their whole setup and it would make everyone in the US recognize soccer as a legitimate professional sport worth recognition.

so... send me your money and I'll make it happen. ;)

11. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would I send money to a guy who's going to lose it all in a year?

12. owain

owain Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Cuz it will be fun! :D

edit: anyway, this is the only way the NY Cosmos should be brought back IMO... that's really my point. ;)

13. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I would love to see the Cosmos return but I don't think that the USL would be the right place for a comeback. The time and place for a comeback would be in MLS and with major salary cap restrictions relieved.

14. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In the meantime, FCNY should do just fine. While not a big club, its just starting out and should eventually be competing for the top of the table.

PS. I would graciously ask that the MODS please change the title of the thread to something more suiting. As of today, this is all speculation and nothing more than that.

15. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Agreed. Let's change the title to "there's definitely a soccer stadium being built by the former shea stadium because I saw a truck there and everyone in the neighborhood says so" thread.

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No major league with salary cap restrictions has ever had those restrictions "relieved."

The cap may increase, but it won't increase past a point where most teams are within shouting distance of its limits.

17. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Relieved in the sense that the cap is raised but not completely eliminated. Personally I would like a system where you can DP the complete roster. You would have a minimum and a maximum cap.

Minimum let's say is 4.5 mil and the max 9 mil. So then the league would pay 4.5mil and the franchise owners could pay the difference up to 9 mil. This would allow the whole roster to be DP'd, in essense.

This method would greatly increase the level of play and the standard of the complete league.

18. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree with Metrogo on this.
    The ownership made quite an effort to reach out to supporters at first, then
    seemed to drop of the face of the planet.
    Then told us about possibly playing in the City for at least a few games.
    This looks like total Bullsh*t now, as Icahn isn't suited for soccer.
    Lord knows what the ownership is thinking right now.
    But i'm not convinced, and will only support a club with the TRUE intention of being NYC's team, within the city.
    If they are going to be Long Island Rough Riders part 2, they can pack it up right now.

19. Bklyn Royals Fan

United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would just add that said billionaire should pay large sums of money to have the Cosmos Legends XI play a match (Pele, Beckenbauer, etc) for charity.

20. longislandsoccer

longislandsoccer New Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Lynbrook
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Hey I thought I would let you guys know,

The ownership is currently looking for sponsors at the moment - that is why news is so "slow". This is typical for any sort of sporting franchise. Furthermore, it should be noted that there is support from European clubs which is very good news and puts the team at a great advantage in terms of getting its feet off the ground.

I won't say I am in the "know" because that might get me in trouble ;). However I would rest assured that this team, in due time, will get going and the news will start flowing. There is no need to panick. Mr. Petersen knows what he is doing.

21. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    If Mr. Peterson knows what he is doing, then:

1) why did he say he was in talks with the Queens Borough President about a soccer stadium in Queens when it is so easily verified as a lie?

2) Why did he say there might be games at Icahn when that's impossible?

3) Why did he have a kick off press conference when so little was in place, including a web site for god's sake?

"Looking for sponsors" it seems to me, means "looking for financing". If that is so, is it not true that the team is far from a certainty until the financing is on board?

"Support from European clubs"? Really? Are they putting money up? Here's my bet... "no". Every european club, and half of all european players talk about soccer in nyc, but when it comes down to brass tacks, they don't step up. We've heard it all before.

There is nothing that has been done publicly to give anyone the remotest bit of confidence that "Mr. Peterson" knows what he is doing. The press conference was a disaster, and any momentum it could have generated was wasted on a web site that made Red Bulls "guerilla marketing" scheme of this past spring look genius and top rate professionalism.

I would love a response, but if you don't have the time or inclination, which is understandable, can you at least answer this: Will there be a team in 2010?

22. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'll be waiting for the good news.

23. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I had one other thought about this this morning. If Mr. Peterson is looking for sponsors, wouldn't it be helpful to attract sponsors to demonstrate some support in place already for the team? Wouldn't an email list with a couple of thousand people on it be something positive to show a sponsor? Wouldn't a showing of grass roots support for the idea be helpful?

What can Mr. Peterson be offering sponsors that would be attractive to them? Right now, what I see they have to offer is a couple of people who were unprepared at a press conference, a skeptical soccer press, and not a whisp of a hint of being able to actually have a stadium to play in in NYC. They have youth teams, which is nice, but not exactly a unique opportunity for the sponsor who is going to spend money.

24. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im very hopefull this all works out and FC New York is a success - and im sure the parties at hand are very busy - but if im someone who wants to spread the word and get a team into the city - I would accept the offer (from fans) of FREE PUBLICITY and FREE PRESS that they offer.

I would work with the organization that has been in place to bring a professional team to the city that has contacts and outlets to thousands of fans! I would let them run wild and help them to spread the word of FC NEW YORK. Imagine that - a bunch of fans offering and willing to spread the word of your team while you do the behind the scenes work!

But hey - what do we know - we only have had meetings with Queens and BRKLYN about stadiums!

25. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island