No news is no team

Discussion in 'F.C. New York' started by Metrogo, May 11, 2009.

1. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they have a surprise up their sleeves like renaming the team : Cosmos

2. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just heard on the Aztex coach's show that FCNY is being backed by Sheffield United.

...apologies if that's old news, but I hadn't heard it before.

3. CityMouse

CityMouse New Member

Feb 16, 2009
    NY
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have a link?

4. Alejo

Alejo Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas, Yall
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try the website for the radio station AM 1300 the zone. there should be a recording of the show on it somewhere. Other than that u guys will have to do your own digging.

5. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Interesting news, does anyone know anything worth posting about Sheffield United?

6. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not old news to me. Hmmm...Sheff United??? I've always liked the "Blades" nickname, but in all honesty, I hope this club connection doesn't lead FCNY to be a feeder team. But that has nothing to do with the English Club.

7. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I wouldn't be so upset with being a feeder team. If anything it would mean that FCNY had enough quality to contribute to teams and leagues far superior to ours at the moment.

8. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try here relatively early on in the show.

9. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would expect it to be as much of a feeder team as the Aztex are for Stoke. Sheffileld United are currently in the Premier League promotion playoffs. I don't know what the foreigners rules are for the Championship (if they don't win the next game), but I know the Premier League rules make it difficult for any of our teams to be much of a feeder team for any Premier League club.

We have 4 UK players on our roster, and I'm sure they'd love to go back and play in the Premier League. Only 3 of them have any real chance, I think. How likely is it that Stoke would want all three of them? I'd say not very.

Upshot -- if y'all have as strong a bond as we have with Stoke, I'd only worry about occasionally (every 2-3 years at most) losing one player. It won't be anything like minor league baseball, where players get moved up and down through the season for rehab.

And, if FCNY ends up as well-run as the Aztex as a result of your bond with Sheffield United, I'm sure y'all will be very happy.

10. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, great management with good identity is the requirements of soccer. I'll be watching intently as the new grows. I have nothing against Sheff United and if they provide great insight and care about their investment, I can see a glorious relationship evolving.

11. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well there you go. That's some good news.

12. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Let's see what kind of money sheffield united are willing to put up... so many teams want an American "presence", but aren't willing to do the work or spend the money. Happens over and over and over again.

13. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yah Sheffield United!!!! It's most likely not about big money but rather about technical assistance and looking for the next tim howard or something like that.

14. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Sheffield United have a history of backing teams around the world, if they're in this they're in it for real, their partnerships aren't some rinky-dink thing.

15. Tifosi FC

Tifosi FC New Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  16. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be a nice development - still few other things to find out now - like Icahn, Baker and York ( which they told us at the sit down was a site). How real is the attempt to get into the city......interactions I have had with SOME of these sites...... eh not sure!

17. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Since we have news now, its safe to say that we have a team. I've been saying it since the beginning, we need to be patient. This is something that's not going to happen overnight. Likewise with the playing within the 5 Boros, it's going to take its time.

If anything as fans we should be helping get the word out amongst the soccer communities that FCNY is coming around. It's going to take some time and effort but eventually word is going to get out.

Lately I've been debating over the whole Hofstra vs Queens thing (stadium location). Ideally I would prefer that the team play close to me but it's virtually impossible for that to happen at the present time. But Hofstra really isn't that bad, its relatively close and the FO has promised to work its way into the city.

Yes, it's going to take some time but I'm sure that eventually FCNY will be playing within the city limits. I'm not asking for them to be playing in Queens right away, and they have explained the reasons why they can't do so immediately.

So far they haven't broken any promises and things seem on track. When the hiccups come we will ride them out in stride. We still have 10 months to go.

18. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hofstra is tough if you dont have a car! LIRR and Local bus and if you dont live on the LIRR line you have to get there.

And we dont have news - we have a rumor - it hasnt been official yet - although it seems pretty credible!

Finally - what can we do - You were there Chris - WE OFFERED OUR HELP - and you KNOW JUST AS GOOD AS ANYONE HOW MUCH WE CAN HELP - when it comes to getting to Queens. I offered Doug a number of times and if he is reading this - continue to offer our assistance with getting into the boroughs!

While we really have nothing going on now - other than PDL games and US games - we are still very active in our mission!

19. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    All this goes with out saying, it's a given that the BB can provide the best assistance to any organization.

My point is that given all the rumors and nonsense floating around, that until something officially comes out, FCNY is very much active. Being that they are active, I say we (fans) should give them the benefit of the doubt.

20. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed - benefit of the doubt for sure! Only thing that could hurt the chances of this team happening is the USL going into a rut!

21. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah that has been rumored around here a bit lately. USL is taking a hit with Portland, Vancouver and eventually Montreal. They obviously are fighting back with FCNY, Tampa and what seems like maybe St Louis (who knows).

Taking a shot at a little speculation, I would see the USL being bought out by MLS and falling into a true 2nd division. This way MLS can continue into the smaller us markets and completely dominate the soccer landscape.

Again I don't expect this to be happening tomorrow but sometime within the next 10 years.

22. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

it makes the most sense to fall under one umbrella!

23. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whatever it is, it's better than "no news".

24. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Agreed wholeheartedly.

25. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is York? Getting into the city is going to be a) difficult, b) expensive, c) a bureaucratic obstacle course that if it were a Tour de France stage would be classified as "hors categorie" (too difficult to categorize, essentially)