The MISTITLED 2014 Climate Change Victimized Thread

Discussion in 'Coach' started by elessar78, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In years past with some NYC clubs youth teams were expected to play in shorts from 32 degrees and up. Bellow that you can wear sweatpants under the shorts.

What club and borough are you with?

2. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Put on something under his uniform top like a turtle neck shirt you want to try and keep his chest warmer.

Make sure the warm up is much longer on a really cold day, but that is just common sense right?

With adult teams in real cold weather had something under the shirt and players put bengay on their legs. In Germany on really cold days the men wore panty hose :)

3. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I use winter weight long-sleeved Underarmor when its below 40 degrees F. When it gets really cold, I add poly p long underwear (tops and bottoms) bought from a sporting goods store. Like the Underarmor it wicks sweat away from your skin which is really important for 90-minute soccer matches. You can get moisture-wicking glove liners and sock liners too.

4. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We practice indoors but when the temps outdoor is single digits the interior temps hover in the 30s. Since I normally stand around a lot, I wear long under armour underneath my warm-ups. This past week I had to work with our (fantastic!) U16s. We had uneven numbers so I had to step in. Needless to say I was burning up after a quick game of keepaway and they were all in shorts and t-shirts.

5. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son plays for a club in Long Island and to answer your other post's point, yes I do insist that he wears a layer (usually long sleeve underarmor type) under his shirt and sometimes wear long compression pants under his shorts.

6. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Long Island is not part of NYC. What club and what division does he play in the LIJSL?

7. mckersive

mckersive Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the original post I was referring to the NYC area weather because the Manhattan Soccer Club preseason tournament, which tournament my son's team was to participate in, was cancelled due to snow on the ground and cold weather.
    I don't necessarily want to publicize my son's club in a public forum (since it's a small club), so I figure I'd PM you, but apparently I can't. His team will be playing in the ENY PL this spring.

8. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First game of the season. Canceled. The games on turf were on but the grass fields were a mess. Something about rain and a lot of melting snow. Our game has now been rescheduled to be played AFTER a post-season tournament we were doing. Oh well.

9. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've got a series of warm-up scrimmages and tournaments coming up. Goal is to get the boys acclimated to a big field and really buy in to what we are trying to do—less "me" play and more "we" play and less turnovers.

10. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you scrimmage other teams within your club or do you go to other clubs to find teams? Our club has a few teams we could go against, but we all practice at such different times and locations it's hard to organize anything. Plus, that whole lack of any actual field doesn't help. We pull up a small patch of grass in a park since our fields are being rebuilt. I don't know how it is in other areas, but around here most clubs seem pretty stuck on themselves. I've found very few opposing coaches I enjoy chatting with during (laughing at randomness on the field or asking each other what a ref just called) or after games. The only outside team I could probably call and play against is located on the very far side of town. Not sure my team would be up for a 40 min drive for a scrimmage.

Right now I have to rely on scheduling a modified scrimmage with a u10 team that a friend from college coaches but they have to do it at our time since they normally practice at 4:30 and my team pushes it getting there at 5:30.

11. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    These are against teams outside our club—they have access to fields where we can go 8v8. Ours would not accommodate that.

I'm cordial with many coaches around the area, so I know which ones I'd like to hit up for friendlies either to match up well or be challenged by their teams. In theory, we'd have enough just within the club and I would want to but, like you, field access in winter/early spring makes it a non-starter.

12. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm cordial if they deserve it. haha. Most are just standoffish is all. I think there is a lot of distrust in the area but explaining the reasoning would take a few hours. One club in particular has the elitist attitude. I only have gone against one coach I couldn't stand and that's because he had a team full of giants who did nothing but use their size. He's the one I mentioned last season that encouraged his girls to foul in the box rather than give up an open shot.

Once our new fields are finished (turf, lights, OURS) I imagine it will be easier to get others to come to us.

13. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's spring in Kansas City. We play tomorrow at 12:15. Good thing our first practice was in the mid-twenties so tomorrow will feel warm! According to the NOAA...

Rain showers, snow, and sleet likely before 3pm, then a slight chance of rain and snow between 3pm and 4pm. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 36. Breezy, with a north northeast wind 23 to 28 mph decreasing to 17 to 22 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than one inch possible.

14. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I refereeing in an hour. 23 degrees. Windchill 9. At least its sunny.

Ihateusernames repped this.
  15. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That makes me feel better so thanks! How'd that go? Our CR had a face mask he had to remove before he could blow the whistle.

I had two players not show up and one who decided to pout instead of play. Glad I had two 7 year old rec players guest with us as they ended up our only subs. One even got an assist so that's a bonus. Tied 2-2 against a very organized and deep team so I am happy. Lots of miserable girls during and after. I hope they all went straight to getting cocoa. Luckily the ref let them wear their coats on the field. Since both teams had blue socks/shorts I kept getting confused on which girls were on what team. Fun times.

16. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Decent game. U14 girls. Visitors came from Long Island, 3 hours away. Of course it wasn't cold enough so we had to go to overtime to decide

17. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    This month I am moving from Virginia to Tucson, Az. So I will use the down-time to take some courses, read a few books, and watch some matches. I don't think my realtor appreciates how important it is to be moved in by June 12th. :)

elessar78 and BUSA Bulldog repped this.
  18. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well of course it wasn't. If you are going to spend 6 hours in car you may as well get your money's worth!* We have a handful of teams in our league (not our division though) who will drive that far. I don't know if they can't find competition there or they just really enjoy the family time. Week in, week out. That's crazy.

*I was at the MLS Cup final if that helps any. Granted, I wasn't moving...

19. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    It was a state cup match. Credit to the girls from Long Island, the two that would only wear shorts, even I went to cycling pants under my shorts for the first time. Despite FIFA's rule changes, we let one girl play in those ridiculous neck warmers that Tevez used to always wear.

I've been to plenty of NFL games colder than yesterday and I've skied many a day colder as well, except the clothing I could wear was limited yesterday.

20. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I did a referee assessment once (I was the AR), it wasn't as cold as yours but it was raining, cold, and windy and the assessor said we couldn't wear anything but our required gear plus gloves.

21. up nort futbol

up nort futbol New Member

Dec 17, 2012
    My user name let's you know I am north of most of you....Fields closed until May 1st (typically start opening around 1st week of April). Our State Cup begins the last week of April so we should be in for some scheduling nightmares this year.

Our team travelled "south" to Indiana two weeks ago for MRL games on outdoor turf. Sleet and 29 for game one and a balmy 35 and sunny for game two. Las Vegas this weekend, girls are likely to blow a radiator as their bodies have not experienced soccer over 45 degrees since last October as our domes are pretty cold when it is 15 below outside :).

22. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he hate you or is he one of those uber macho guys?

If you start that late, what do your seasons run? Here spring is early March to late May with tryouts in early June. Fall starts up with games in late August or early September.

23. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I just assumed that that was the rule as far as referees go. In games we weren't assessed we'd be more practical with our gear.

24. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I just feel bad for refs. Sometimes for the players too. The beauty of coaching is the ability to bundle up. I just tell them I've earned it. :D

25. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'd say that's why I quit reffing, but that wouldn't be true. Not even close.

I miss the quality of reffing that once your assignment is done, it's done. You get on with your day. Coaching is never ceasing. Your mind is on it all the time, even in the off season. You think about these kids that, most of the time, are not your offspring and how to make them better.

Ha, maybe I should spend as much time thinking of how to raise my own kids and make them better people. Well, my sister-in-law does that and it is a tad bit maniacal and unhealthy for the kids.