No Mexican League players with Canadian heritage?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Ghost, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    This is one of the big question marks I always have when looking at Canadian soccer boards ..... are there really zero players in Mexico with Canadian birth or heritage? I find that very surprising.

2. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    If there are none now there definitely will not be any in the future. With both the USWNT and the CWNT fully backing the NWSL is the formula that will ultimetley work in the long run
    The CWNT coach and those in charge already have commented how great it is to have the ability to have most in the same league, between the US and Canada gives them as top of talent as there is in any league in the World, and are able to have them all finish season at the same time for CWNT training much better to schedule.

3. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    ^I think you misunderstood the question. There have been a few Canadians (men) who have played in Mexico, none of which I believe have come to any great success. It seems that Canadians have found success in some areas and have not in other places. For instance, many players have had very successful careers in Germany, England, Holland and Scandinavia and yet we've had few in Spain (save DeGuzman), Italy (Serie A) or somewhat surprisingly France.

I think part of the reason is the players have an agent who steers them towards an area where they have contacts and are familiar with. It seems to go in cycles. I can remember where there were many Canadians getting opportunities in Scotland and Belgium, and then as the player pool deepened and got better, they were getting opportunities in England and Germany. Germany has been a very good spawning ground for Canadian players, Scandinavia as well.

This has been changing with the growth of the MLS academies and what seems to be one of the worst times for high end Canadian player development in Europe.

4. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Probably cultural more than anything. Canada has stronger cultural ties with Europe than it does with Mexico, despite the fact that we are on the same continent. That is changing however as immigration patterns have changed significantly in the past 10 years.

It does seem odd though that it doesn't seem like a goal for Canadians to play in the best league in North America. I mean , sure who wouldn't choose Bundesliga or Premiership etc. over Mexico, but Primera is just as good, and in some cases better, than some of the European leagues that some Canadians are playing in.

5. Moaca

Moaca Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Not cultural, opportunity and money. Players go where they can get an opportunity and either stay or transfer for more money. Ricketts and Occean weren't in Norway because of their Scandinavian background. You'll also find that many of the Canadian overseas players have the same agents. If he has good contacts in Germany, the players go to Germany.

6. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Sorry I did misunderstand. Several have posted for possible reasons why which could prety well be the reason why.
    I still think the MLS should find a way to get more Canadian players on MLS rosters and not count as internationals.

I am not sure how that can be accomplished short of opening a Canadian roster spot for each team in MLS US teams since Canadian teams have now become a very important part of the culture of the MLS.
    For example X amount of international players are allowed on each roster and an additional roster spot be added for one Canadian player for each MLS club.

This would at least open up 21 more Canadian slots in the MLS by 2020 to go along with the slots for the Canadian clubs.

More NASL clubs in Canada should help a lot. Rosters will be based on many Canadian players that will get much more exposure than the CSL or signing with an obscure Europe 3rd division team.

I would guess that with the NASL growing that the MLS will be looking for that overlooked player and if each raster were to add a specific spot for a Canadian international player would be a step towards moving to the MLS.

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you read what was posted in MLS forums that Canadian players on American MLS clubs are counted as foreigners because USA law requires all foreigners to be treated equally? Canadians can't be favored over other foreigners.

8. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think exceptions can be made under NAFTA, however in that case Mexicans would have to receive the same considerations that Canadians get.

Unfortunately, the only way the league can enforce growth of the number of Canadians in the league is to impose Canadian quotas on the three Canadian clubs, which in itself has some difficulty because the talent pool of Canadians is too small right now to make the quota very significant and keep the three clubs competitive.

Currently it stands at three, and all three Canadian clubs have more than that, so arguably it could be increased to four.

Perhaps the league could apply other incentives, for example increase the number of international slots for each club based on the number of Canadians they have, or give an allocation bonus for each Canadian over the quota.

9. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

I am aware of the current law counting Canadians as foreiners that is why we are discussin if this could be changed because of Canadian Clubs are in the MLS. Could or could not happen but worth a discussion for sure.

Also obove are some intersting ideas.

All in all though the more D2 NASL teams that Canada has the better the players will become and have a link betweek the D3 leagues in Canada to the D1 MLS while being able to stay in North America.
    Whether it is a great deal or not NASL teams in Canada have a National Broadcaster in Sportnet 360 which focus is on Canadian Sports programing so the NASL will be a nice fit

10. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    You all seem to understand half of the equation that I intended. There is also the other half. Are there really no players in Mexico who has family ties to Canada who could play for Canada?

The US team finds out from time to time that some random Mexican league player has an American mother and is eligible to play for the US. Are there no such players with Canadian lineage? Or born in Toronto?

11. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Oh I gotcha now. Well if there is they will need to catch them early get them to the states or Canada for University and/or right into a Canadian Academy system.
    With Ottawa joining the NASL now could persude them up early and into a pro contract get them on the field playing