No Camp Cupcake 2013?!

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by delarge101, Oct 18, 2012.

1. delarge101

delarge101 Member

Oct 20, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It won't happen. MLS needs to move to a traditional schedule (or longer season) for it to happen.

4. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think MLS should maybe pitch a replacement for the January camp in the form of a cadre of American MLS players going on a tour abroad in the offseason as something like a "National B-Team" The Generation Adidas 'team' often does this anyway, but I'd like to see it with more mid-career (but still not old, maybe an informal age line of about 26/27) MLS pros who are 'on the verge' playing a slightly tougher schedule. Just kind of spitballing, but imagine a line-up something like:

-----------Bruin------------------------------
    ---------------------Sapong------------
    Pontius---------Nagbe*-------------Gaven---
    -----------------McCarty---------------------
    Sinovic------Gonzalez-----Okugo-----Beitashour
    -------------------Kennedy--------------------

Rather than having Klinsmann coach a team only somewhat better than this (a Camp Cupcake would probably have Kyle Beckerman and Nick Rimando in it, and maybe even Graham Zusi or Eddie Johnson) and calling it a semi-farcical 'National Team', have it coached by an MLS coach combined with Vazquez. They can play closed-door, unofficial games. (*-And since it's not technically an official NT, you don't need to make sure all the players are citizens yet, if you think they might play for you down the line.) You want some kind of NT assistant there because part of the idea is that if some of these guys impress, they can go up the NT depth chart a little faster.

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Not a bad idea.

The cold weather leagues (Russia, Ukraine, all of Scandinavia) + winter break German teams tend to congregate in warmer climes during January-February.

One could actually schedule a boatload of scrimmages and the unofficial friendlies, with unlimited subs, etc. in places like Spain, Israel, Qatar and Turkey.

6. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He probably has something else in mind. JK isn't the type to want his potential NT players to sit around from Oct/Nov-early Feb. I like SC's idea above about a travelling squad, but that begs the question of what happens with the actual MLS NTers, like Zusi/Shea/Beckerman/EJ/etc. Wonder if JK will take the next step beyond 2-3 weeks training stints with Euro clubs and attempt to line up 2 month loans for his MLS NTers. I would be in favor of that.

7. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um... political post much?

8. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mixed feelings on this, though it is not the first time JK has talked about ending Camp Cupcake.

I've never been a fan of camp cupcake, though I did like it as a chance for MLSers and Euro fringe guys to get a shot. But remember, 2013 is a Gold Cup year, and JK has said we'll have two separate squads. So the MLS, Mexico, and Euro fringe guys will still have an opportunity, it will just be in Gold Cup, not Cupcake.

This way, the U23s, fringers, and the big boys all get a shot this year to impress. And impressive U23 performance could get you onto the Gold Cup squad. A good Gold Cup could force a player's way into the conversation for the 23 in the fall and for 2014.

9. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be cool but I really don't see Camp Cupcake going away.

I actually know why JK said its going away........it'll officially changing to Camp Strudel.

[​IMG]

10. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What - is JK too busy? I hope he will be doing something else then.

11. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not related but do the U-17 and U-20's have WCQ and WC in 2013? Maybe test 1 or 2 of them before qualifiers, I don't know, just a thought.

12. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    With a WCQ on 2/6, there's not much point in camping with the "b-team" and/or available u-23 players in January when the focus needs to be on the immediate preparation (even if that is just scouting club games in person) for that 2/6 match.

If anything, "camp cupcake" can be moved to the summer every 4 years to be part of "Gold Cup Cupcake" (or "Gold Cup-cake") to get a look at the type of players that usually populate a Jan camp.

With the GC (the non-important one) still a FIFA period for Concacaf, JK would have the ability to call in a roster (his secondary roster) for that camp and weeks long competion.

and the A-team will get the time off after the three June WCQs and ahead of the Aug, Sept and Oct FIFA dates.

Martin Fischer repped this.
  13. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dont really care.

14. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a bad idea. The U-20 quallifying tournament is in February.

15. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    I will choose to imagine there's a good reason for it, though I am skeptical of Juergen's pronouncements of this type. Call me a non-purist but from a fan's perspective I always liked the "spring training" aspect of the January camp -- hope springing eternal and all that....

16. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    i'd rather have any decent mls talent hooking up with someeuro club getting training in

getting a job, helps to build those relationships in

17. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the clinching qualifier, we had three starters, Zusi, Parkhurst and Cameron, that got their first chances under Klinsmann at Camp Cupcake. All three of them are older than 23. Given that fact, it is utterly baffling to me that Klinsmann doesn't see the purpose of the camp. It's a great opportunity to get a long look at players that have been overlooked or are just emerging.

Given the number of MLS centerbacks that he should audition, as well as the involvement on the team of guys like Rimando, Beckerman, E.Johnson and Gordon, it's beyond me why he wouldn't want all those guys training together during the offseason.

If he wants to have U-23 camp, we should do that in addition to Camp Cupcake, not replace it. The only reason I can possibly see to not do the camp is to save money, and given the amount of money we're paying Klinsmann, that's very frustrating.

Martin Fischer repped this.
  18. FCBUSMNT

FCBUSMNT Member

May 25, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hmmm - Texas. Keep playing up the stereotype.

19. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Camp Cupcake has another advantage and purpose that many seem to be overlooking in their posting, and further, seeks to address something that Jürgen has spoken about, and that's the length of MLS's off-season. Camp Cupcake is as much about keeping MLS's (and Scandinavia's) better US-eligible players training and playing for an extra 3 weeks instead of rotting and getting out of shape/form. Unless of course Jürgen thinks he can get just about all of our "better than average" MLS guys a European off-season loan/trial/training session.

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John McGuirk repped this.
  21. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well maybe he's sending a message to MLS to come up with a better system then relying on the USNT coach to train some if its players during their months long off season. Cupcake doesn't really help MLS as a whole, as only a tiny fraction are potential NT level players and get called in. Even if 20 MLSers get called, that does nothing to address the problem of what about everyone else, and everyone else is the large majority.

If JK wants ot use that time only for guys who can potentially help the NT in the next few months, I don't have that big a problem with it. It's on MLS to come up with a better system than relying on the NT coach to hold camps and set up training stints.

I like the training stints abroad for NT MLSers.I hope it evolves to the enxt step with 2 month loans with options to buy. I'd also like an U23 type camp involving MLSers. But really, it's on MLS to find a better way for guys throughout their league who aren't quite NT quality to have some kind of training outside of the NT. If MLS isn't responsible for developing NT players, which I hear all the time in MLS forums, then the NT sure as hell isn't responsible for developing MLS players outside of the senior NT. What's stopping MLS from having off season tournaments in warm climates? What's stopping MLS from putting together an U23 and U21 squad to travel S America or Europe and scrimmage other teams? What's stopping MLS from loaning a number of young players to leagues in season during the winter to gain experience? Maybe this forces Garbers hand a little.

I'm sure some people will say well, what does Davis do now? Wondo? Lenhart? Loyd? Dike? Bunbury? Etc? Well, it's really the responsibility of their respective clubs to figure that out. If taking a couple months off and then having inter squad scrimmages is their best response to this problem, this might force a welcomed change.

This isn't really directed at you personally, fyi.

22. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    id rather have mls talent in some euro club getting exposed to a better game than mls

no one who would go to cupcake is really expect to play in the first gex are they

j says a small obe to get rrady for the hex, fine with me, what bring evertry joker in who has no shot whatsoever

23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you do us all a favor and proofread your posts?

24. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. I never paid much attention to who was called into the camp. However, the camp did seem to identify one or two players who fit into the long term picture each year. How will these players get the opportunity in the future?

25. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Common dude. Nothing that a hit of acid won't solve...