No. 10 in Soccer

Discussion in 'Coach' started by Soccertes, Dec 30, 2009.

1. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    I am not going to continue with the debate (as much as I have enjoyed the discussion), because our disagreement is distracting from my point, made in the second paragraph of my previous post. The public association between shirt numbers and positions grew from practices of a prior generation now discontinued. I believe it has faded and will continue to fade with each passing generation.

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.

2. I'm not sure what you mean by this. In Dutch football they use it continually as it is a position that is important in the tactics used by the Dutch. So no chance that it will be gone any time soon, unless there is another tactical system developed that is vastly superior of course.

3. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: No.9 & the No.10 in football:

[In nearly all versions of the "pyramid" form. the No.10 was the shirt worn by the inside-left and the No.9 was worn by the centre-forward. The No.10 then came to be worn by one of the two inside-forwards in the latter versions of the "W-M" form.]

4. dejansavicevic10

Jun 12, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria

#10 and #8 are inside forwards based on the WM set up, #9 is the center forward.

5. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I also don't understand how this modest thread on not much about anything has gotten 13,000+ views. :D

6. You're sooo wrong about that, In Dutch soccer if you are the magic nr 10 you become a superstar legend. Van Hanegem, Litmanen, and abroad Zidane to name just 3 of them.

7. MB433

MB433 Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
  8. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[The No.8 & the No.10 being worn by the I-Fs and the No.9 being worn by the C-F actually dates clear back to the "pyramid" formation even BEFORE the "W-M" was in common use in the game, mate.]

9. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    When I coached it was all about creating starters. The first 11 numbers were the starters. That is what the players all tried to become starters. Your a starter for a reason. Once you had your starters you tried the non starters pushed themselves to become a starter.

Our number ten was overall best attacking player on the team. Our 11 was our striker

9 & 8 wing mids, 7 offensive mid, 6 defensive mid but they were interchangeable, 5 stopper a big player 4 & 3 were outside backs, 2 sweeper

Keeper.

10. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

[This was definitely the case for the England NT team of the era because the ISC put the player's name on an official selection sheet and were assigned both the number and position for a given match...]

11. rhrh

rhrh Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    That's the problem with youth soccer in the US, you can't "create" starters, you get what you get based on tryouts or scouting, and you work the kids together. Having #10, or even any number from #1 to #11 means nothing when you get out on the field.

Any team that has 30+ players, like the academy teams, has to recognize that those players who are #1 - #11 could get injured, even if they are indeed the starters, so you can't hang your hat on a number.

When my kid goes pro, we'll see if he can earn the #10. Before then, it's ego massaging with no rationale.

12. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This thread has been a "cellar dweller" for too long IMHO...

Rebaño_Sagrado repped this.
  13. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pop the cork, Roy. Let's enjoy the aged spirits of discussion. :D

14. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I've gone over this before:

The I-L/"No.10" in the western European version of the "pyramid" formation was almost always an out-&-out goal-scorer w/the ball-moving/"supply" roles being handled by the two wingers and the centre-forward/"No.9". In the "W-M" and it's variants the No.10 continued to be applied to the inside-left. The No.10/inside-left evolved into often being a more ball-moving, creative oriented player rather than an out-&-out goal-threat (as in the pyramid)...