Nike vs. Adidas vs. Puma vs. Lotto vs. others. Which one is better?

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by andres_correa26, Jan 13, 2010.

1. andres_correa26

Jan 11, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Which brand is the better to you. what type of cleats you think is best and why?

I have used Nike and Adidas brands for the past three years, and have found that Adidas makes better cleats. I still have all of my adidas cleats, and had to throw away all my nikes. The best soccer cleat to me is Adidas Copa Mundial. They are very confortable and can control better. But they just dont have any unique style. Which one is yours

2. stevesmith

stevesmith Member

Dec 15, 2007
    Mizuno, but I can see this thread getting closed down quick

3. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Actually I am going to let this one stand out of interest in what people have to say......

Personally I am much more of a Nike guy than anything. I would wear more Mizuno but I don't feel like ordering from Japan when I work in a shop here in the USA and I can get a massive discount on the shoes I buy there.

Nike right now is making the most innovative and and well done product on the mass market. All their shoes are pretty spot on, I have not tired the Laser 3 yet but I hear glowing reviews. Personally the 360 and the retro Premiers are my two favorite shoes out right now.

The only Adidas shoes I like are the Copa line. Everything else has poor quality control and out-dated designs. More of their stuff falls apart than any other major brand. Lets face it Adidas is Microsoft and Nike is Apple when it comes to innovation and the cool factor.

Puma has become a major letdown for me personally with their designs and the stupid Apto last that only fits if your big toe is wayyyy longer than your others. They have destroyed the King line with the XL's which should have been a much better boot given the concept behind it. it is too stiff in the outsole and the last if odd, poor show really. At least the King Top and Classic are still in the catalog for now.

Lotto is another major failure. The Stadio was one one of the best shoes ever created, it was like the Copa but only better. Made in Italy, great leather, stitched outsole, unique but classic color combo, major pro take up. Now they are made in China out of crap leather, the outsole though stitched falls off the boot (yes I said that correctly) and there is no quality control. Also Twist n' Go.....enough said.

Diadora, breaks my heart. Once my favorite shoe brand, they lost the plot and I feel as if they are throwing $hit at the wall just to see what sticks. They need to revamp the lines, bring back the classics and market that before Nike bought the footballing world in the 90's they were the brand for the worlds best. Baggio, Van Basten, Weah, Vialli...They wore Diadora not because they got millions, but because they were the best. The only good stuff they make these days is sold in Italy.

Under Armour, being a Baltimore boy I am happy to see them coming along. I have heard nothing but good things about the comfort of their boots. The design and overall concept of the brand for soccer needs tweeking but they are doing well for a first time go around in a very narrow market.

Umbro....Well Nike buying them tightened up the ship a bit, their kits are fantastic now and the boots are pretty nice, although they just seem to be doing the Speciali these days that is fine with me because all the other stuff they had was for lack of a better term crap. I would like to see the original design Speciali stay around though too and not just have a Legend-ish Speciali to pick from.

4. soulstar89

soulstar89 Member

Apr 8, 2008
    LONDON England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i choice is mizuno and asics.

ive had nike and adidas and they just dont really fit my flat wide feet. preds was ok as well as the nike air legends 1! vapours dint fit my feet and my f50's... im not even going to go there waste of money and pain!!!but mizuno and asics are just in another league! the touch you get from these brands are second to none and jc18star i understand where you are coming from with buying from japan when you can get a discount but its worth the money.

The mizuno ghost strikers was so so nice in everyway. they are light (220g)made from super soft k leather and grip was to die for!! and get this they only cost me £79.99 from PDS

i just got a pair of asics ds light genios from japan. Again top class boot. asics make the best insoles aswell they are made from suede so your feet dont slip at all. They are very light 220g and are made from very very soft k leather.

im goin to be getting the mizuno morelias japan made model and the asics ds light genio 2. the genio look so sexy have a look:

http://www.sports-ws.com/fp/popup1.asp?itemcode=FS1AS270

5. Brandon FCB

Brandon FCB Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Joma. One piece of kangaroo leather. No gimmicks.

6. andres_correa26

Jan 11, 2010
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    I am keep that brand in mind, cause that is what I look for in the cleats. Kangaroo leather.

7. soulstar89

soulstar89 Member

Apr 8, 2008
    LONDON England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Can you explain why they are good? I've seen them but never brought them as I didn't know how they would be

8. soulstar89

soulstar89 Member

Apr 8, 2008
    LONDON England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    If prefer k leather then the best brands are mizuno, asics, diadora.

9. illdthedj

illdthedj Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Bay Area, Ca
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i started off being an adidas only player.

the copas are an industry standard. and the manias are still one of my favorite boots, performance wise and aesthetically. i like the powerswerves as well.

however in the last few years i think my new favorite would have to be Nike. Although i dont buy into the whole vapor hype, the legends have always been a good boot to me, and i have developed an affinity for the laser 1s and 2s (they are the boots i started collecting)....the new primiers and 94s are excellent, and its good to see Nike nod to their roots while still trying to push boundaries with other boots. I have not worn them, but everything ive heard about the CTR360s and all their features represent a whole lot of what ive wanted to see in a boot....an emphasis on confort and control. so while they milk the lightweight boot market, a bandwagon i dont feel like riding, they are still going in every other direction, from future boots to heritage, and i cant help but appreciate that.

and under armor....again, have not worn their boots yet (i have dozens of unworn boots that are in line to be worn lol) but everything ive read about their boots and everything ive known about the company in regards to their other products makes me really like the company. For a first time soccer boot producer, they are doing everything right. They strive to make quality products without resulting to gimmickry and hype.

10. Minky61

Minky61 New Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    For me its gotta be puma in first. Their boots always fit me great, I had 2 pairs of the old mid range v kats with the full heel cup and they were great. My v1.08k are still very comfortable and holding up good after two seasons. I just got some v1.06k yesterday which I can already tell are going to be top notch, already put freesol around the boot to help with the seperation issue. I have some .6 trainers that I love to death.
    My second would have to be diadora, I got a pair of maximus at a shop called play it again sports that were great while they lasted, and my maracana indoors are extremely comfortable. Dont like any of there new products though. Vapor IIIs were pretty good though from nike.