Nike Thread [18] - Post all info, pics & questions here!

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    My bad aha. I see where you're coming from. Hope it works just as well!

2. footy boots

footy boots Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nike Hypervenom Phatal FG

[​IMG]

3. David89

David89 Member+

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    backwards swoosh.. so team mates can see you running quicker backwards?

4. lnicholson29

lnicholson29 Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Anyone know where the Nike iD, vapor 9 are made? Also, is the opinion more favoured for the leather like upper or dimpled?

5. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I might be a bit late to the party on this one ....

But what exactly are the dimples on the upper supposed to do? They can't do that much considering that Nike have ditched them on the silver/green version?

appleCORR

6. FootySpy

FootySpy Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    They do absolutely nothing in regards to performance.

7. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thought as much!

appleCORR

8. 2nd_striker

2nd_striker Member

May 21, 2008
    London
    So when we getting a price/size/uk stockists for mv9 cr7???

9. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The dimples on the surface of the new Nike MV9 cause the boundary layer on the upstream side of the boot to transition from laminar to turbulent. The turbulent boundary layer is able to remain attached to the surface of the boot much longer than a laminar boundary and so creates a narrower, low pressure, wake and hence less pressure drag. The reduction in pressure drag causes the boot to move faster with a more thorough follow-through.

;)

b0sk1, Mercurial4991 and gwood88 repped this.
  10. Mercurial4991

Mercurial4991 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get this man a job with Nike.

holden and red & wite army repped this.
  11. red & wite army

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I wanted to be a boot designer in high-school...instead I became an Architect :confused:
    The dream is still alive!

Mercurial4991 repped this.
  12. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    AG Outsole side by side .png

I am liking the new AG outsole.

13. FootySpy

FootySpy Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nicely written, but allow me to sum it up in plain English for the rest of us laymen ;)
    Theoretically, dimpling does make an object more aerodynamic (see: golf ball). However the effect of drag on the shoes is so minimal, that there will be NO difference in your speed. That's right, absolutely zero benefit from dimpled boots.
    If you really feel air resistance is stopping you from attaining the top speed of Ronaldo, wear tight fitting clothing. Baggy outerwear has a noticeable effect on your speed, but don't expect drastic results. After all, Usain Bolt wears a loose fitting shirt, while Tyson Gay makes use of skin-tight spandex, and we all know the winner of that race.

14. red & wite army

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's why I suggest wearing Kappa and Tech-Fit, along with the dimpled Vapors. A shaved head and a slight mohawk is suggested too. ;)
    Really though, I'm surprised Nike didn't circulate any propaganda about the dimpling. I'm making an issue out of them, because I still think Eurosport's CR7 competition is pathetic.

Interesting differences between the new and old AG soleplates. I think I prefer the old one.

gwood88 repped this.
  15. vanjory

vanjory Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Singapore
    Or that they need to have a mirror like those of a vehicle to be able to see the Nike tick in the correct manner lol jk.

16. soccercleats1234

Jan 21, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The silver/green version is supposedly made out of a material more similar to that of the euro vapor IV I think, in all the descriptions i've read its got more of the leathery feel to it than the synthetics(fireberry/sunset).
    My vapor ix came in the mail yesterday but they were a half size too big and I like my boots to fit snug so i sent em back, should have the replacements next week. I'm hoping my legend IV elites arrive tomorrow before my game, i'm super stoked to wear them.

17. Bootboy

Bootboy Member

Oct 23, 2007
    North London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    they increase friction with the ball allowing you to have a better grip at high speeds - they used the same technology on the CTR 2's control pad on the outstep

18. Ryan James

Ryan James Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  19. GrassRouteOne

GrassRouteOne Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think it's mainly what a designer would call a 'point of difference'.

You need to give people a visible, notable point on a new product to make them buy a new version over a previous model.

Do the dimples on the MV9 make a positive difference to performance? Probably not. Do they hinder performance in any way? Definitely not.

So, Nike get to release something that looks massively different, whilst still using the same soleplate, last and materials as the predecessor, and people won't complain about it being money for old rope like they did with the Superfly II/III,

jayc23 and red & wite army repped this.
  20. nedoz9

nedoz9 Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Managed to get a pair of the CR Vapor last night from the Nike Store Europe site. Will post up pics when they arrive. Was a little disappointed that they were launched as FG rather than the SG-Pro model which Cristiano uses.

JonIsAnOwl repped this.
  21. LPUNITED

LPUNITED New Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Managed to get a pair over here in the US I think they only had like a pair a size cause it sold out in like 10 secs glad I got a pair

22. nedoz9

nedoz9 Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Seems like each outlet gets maybe 20 pairs? So I think 5 pairs per size as there is only 4 sizes available right? Size UK7, UK8, UK9 and UK10.

So Nike Store Europe had 20 pairs, Nike Store USA had 20 and the remaining 60 split between the "selected retailers" across the world.

23. 2nd_striker

2nd_striker Member

May 21, 2008
    London
    guess theyre all gone now cant see them on the nike uk page. how much were they?

24. nedoz9

nedoz9 Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah they went in seconds. They were £241 or so. $300. I had a 20% discount code added to my basket so they went through at £191 which was a nice bonus.