Nike Thread [18] - Post all info, pics & questions here!

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FootySpy

FootySpy Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well now look who's off topic...

Bolivianfuego and JonIsAnOwl repped this.
  2. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I get the economic principals behind the concept, but things only have value and desirability if we create that - it is human created with material items, not a primal urge like food or procreation.

The fact that we are allowing Nike and Eurosport to create false desire for a marginal product just sucks to me. In another few months there will another "this week only" CR7 boot that the fanboys will get a chub over and we restart the process.

I am bothered because it is exploitation. Granted I am all about human agency and personal choice - if you don't like the content of the TV show don't complain to the FCC, just change the channel - but this just rankles me. Maybe it is because I hate the false hype on the products that are sold in general these days. Maybe it is because I feel like this is the nail in the coffin of personal service from Soccer.com. There was a time when you could call them - before online order and even a bit after - and every employee was a soccer player, knew their products and could guide you. Now you call and you are lucky not to get connected to a lady in her pajamas running an in-home call center while her kids are at school. I mean for Christ sakes, Mia Hamm used to work the phone at Eurosport when she went to UNC - read that again - the greatest female player ever (arguably) use to sell me my shoes over a phone call. Now "Doreen", who has never seen a ball kicked by anyone older than her 7 year old, is processing my order.

They not only stopped caring about their customer, they are now making the customer work for them, for free, with the promise of a shiny bobble that isn't worth a crap.

Finally, if they knew how to manage an online order system, it wouldn't be an issue. Let's not fault the consumer and their demand - no matter how ill conceived - for ineffective use of resources.

I am not slagging you off, I am just saying this whole CR7 boot thing pisses me off and there is little anyone can do to alter my opinion about it.

Bolivianfuego, rooster and Footballer-7 repped this.
  3. Footballer-7

Footballer-7 Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    No I have no idea if they ship to the UK, (should do tho), but they are legit. Just click on the shirt he wants (H/A), and do the hero printing option and put beckham on it. My fried uses them flat out, like 5-6 jerseys a month (he has more money than sense, sadly...) and loves them, so can't harm checking them out. Again, I've never used them and am no kit expert but the kits he gets off seem legit!

4. Footballer-7

Footballer-7 Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This, this and a thousand times, this. Western marketing principles in a nutshell. I have three of Ronaldos current and past signature boots (safari, stripes & current VIII's), and while ronaldo is my favourite player (has been since day dot, I watched his debut and loved him since, no homo), I won't by getting these 'limited' ones, and possibly not even his orange/white ones a few months later.
    It's like Nike have gotten to the stage where they're like 'So Ronaldo has come second in ballon dor- let's market these boots as little as possible, make them the stock standard boot essentially, recycle the old original ronaldo safari colour way minus the dots, and chuck a few graphics on there and see how much money we can make, you know, for laughs.'

And as Boliv said, whilst yes it is clever by soccer.com in the way they're doing it, essentially maximal return minimal effort, it rubs me the wrong way.. But I don't know, maybe what annoys me more is the stupidity of people to write comments on the site saying 'oh I want these <3 CR' and all that crap. Think people, think....

5. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    err... I could be wrong, but i think you missed out putting up a link?

6. markdd2404

markdd2404 Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Darlaston
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Football shirts seem to go for crazy prices in some countries in mainland Europe.

A couple of years back i really wanted a Werder Bremen shirt, couldn't find any UK store that had my size, luckily my dad ended up going over to Bremen on a business trip so i asked if there was any chance he could grab me one if he had a bit of spare time to go looking. Think they were about £70-80 both at the official clubshop and retail places in the town, who'd pay that for a football shirt? I mean i only wear them to play in but even if i was going to wear it when i went to watch the match every other week i wouldn't pay that much. Thankfully he and my mom ended up going back over to Germany the following summer and doing a bit of a road trip, being the end of the season and with a new shirt pending i managed to get one at a much more affordable price.

7. lakelui

lakelui Member

Sep 18, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In soccer.com's competition they ask your size. I assumed the cr7's would all be the same size, does anyone know if there will be a mix of sizes or just the one?

8. keytoarson

keytoarson Member

Jan 22, 2009
    MN
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ??

Should be legit. She's talking about the PSG official website. And yeah, the price is ridiculous. I'll wait until soccer.com gets them and look into it.

9. David89

David89 Member+

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

and you looked good in it too;)

frannie11 repped this.
  10. markdd2404

markdd2404 Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Darlaston
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Did my best to ruin it with that bloodbath though didn't I? :( Was relieved when it came out clean haha

11. Footballer-7

Footballer-7 Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

http://www.shirtstarshop.com/Category/74-paris-saint-germain.aspx

Not my finest hour.. Thanks!

appleCORR7 repped this.
  12. David89

David89 Member+

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    you took that ball to the face like a champ:thumbsup:

frannie11 repped this.
  13. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks for all the help guys. I think its just one of those things where its going to be REALLY expensive until all the hype dies down. Now we better get back to talking boots because i dont want to upset Footyspy anymore!

appleCORR

14. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This x100000.

Footballer-7 repped this.
  15. gwood88

gwood88 Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I wore Tiempo Elites for the first time today. It seems I severely underestimated the stiffness of carbon fiber. After about an hour of playing my feet were killing me. Granted I was playing on a very firm ground. But its looking like these are going are going to have a tough break in.

16. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I understand that Nike is implementing these pastel shades, since they have been casually fashionable, but they are starting to look pretty pathetic imo.
    I design, and I am quite open-minded, but the idea of players like Maldini ever wearing such a boot is far-fetched to me. OK, maybe the likes of Paolo would love the boot if you handed it to him, but I feel like these boot colorways are becoming too naff.
    I get that flashy style is a part of the modern game, but this is different to the chrome and red colours we used to see. If I played against guys wearing these pastel shades, I really wouldn't take them too seriously.

rooster and b0sk1 repped this.
  17. Dog7

Dog7 Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    ^
    U seriously judge a player in the boots they wear? So if messi wore these boots for example u wouldn't take him serious..?
    Boots have nothing to do with ability or player type these days. Maybe back In the day when white boots were worn by the cocky players and white boots would make ypu a target for thuggish defenders, but boots are in all colours but hardly black these days..
    I'm a holding midfielder and wear the retro and orange vapors because I liked the color and find them really comfortable...
    In the same way boots aren't gonna make you a better player or improve your game, the same boots don't make you bad because their pastels and good players wouldn't wear pastels...
    If this is what you was getting at?

Nasri A Gunner and noob-bob repped this.
  18. red & wite army

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm being completely irrational and emotive when I give that opinion.
    I am judging the player's character, not his ability, purely based on the boot colour.
    Also, I'm saying that I don't enjoy Nike making such colour boots, because it will inevitably end up on a number of professional players that would look a lot tougher in a fierce colour combination.
    The pastel colours remind me of high-schoolers at a pool party, with glow sticks, and neon accessories.

Obviously, when the game starts, all this goes out the window, but since this is a forum to discuss ideas, I thought I'd do that. I'm not trying to take a scientific approach to this.

19. rooster

rooster Member

Dec 16, 2003
    I think it was vujojosh I read/heard say that if you are a heavier person the carbon fiber won't feel as stiff as it would to a lighter person. I'm 6ft 12 n a half stone and I've never felt any stiffness at all from the boots and I've worn them on artificial grass as well as hard ground. Are you short/lighter?

20. gwood88

gwood88 Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am 6ft 1in, 80kg. I think it was just because they were new. I am not sure though. I'll probably just wear them around the house or go on a few jogging sessions in them. That usually helps.

21. eagleStevat

eagleStevat Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Debut for who? Sporting?

22. Footballer-7

Footballer-7 Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Nah united vs Bolton, he tore them with direct pace and should have had a penalty. Not bad for a 17-18(?) year old.

23. GUNT22

GUNT22 Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    Nike Football Green Speed "Concept Boots"
    designed by my friend Abdou Cataluniya
    > More to come: www.Gunt22.com
    *Note that these are not the GS3 nor product designed by Nike Football.

[​IMG]

24. red & wite army

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Gunt, I enjoy your updates and enthusiasm. However, I was wondering why you are promoting that design on your FB page, and on here? Reason I ask is because the GS boot is just coloured differently in the front, and it's got NIKE instead of ACC?
    Hope you don't take my question the wrong way :thumbsup:

GUNT22 repped this.