Nike Thread [17] - All Nike, pictures, info, questions here!

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by appleCORR7, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Alright perhaps im looking at different elements here so perhaps that's why I'm not seeing what you guys mean. When I'm referring to the materials I'm usually referring to how soft it is, like how my morelias have abit of 'cushioning' in part due to the sort of stitching it has, not entirely dissimilar to the Legend 4's.

My point about the 'control zones' is that since they're there to help your touch, so you won't feel the material in all its glory to help the touch. Like how with the CTR1 and 2's I always felt that the dampening pads didnt really allow me to give an accurate judgement of how the material felt with the ball. I'll be honest I started soccer pretty late, so the only real Predators I've ever owned were the Powerswerves which didnt have much elements on the forefoot.

But thanks so much for the input, both of ya, looking forward to see what the NitroCharge feels like then.

2. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Precisely - people loved the Vapor IVs for 'performance' - but many struggled with fit.

If I was to define a good performing boot... I'd go with the AdiPower. It fits well, so you feel like you're as one with the boot. It feels good to strike in. Comfortable. The leather is soft and so any touches on the ball feel natural. I'm not claiming football boots will make you perform better... Some things like extra grip may improve your touch. But only by half a percent. We all know this.

3. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    True, lightweight tends to mean 'easier to rip' in other words.

4. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Listen, I'm not having a dig at you at all. It may seem like I'm constantly picking on you - and to be honest, I thought that the other day when I posted those comments, but thinking about it, this is only the case because you're only one of several posters that are able to formulate an argument.

I'm also not saying I 'dislike' what you say either. Some of it makes sense to me. I appreciate people that have their own opinion - you're one of those people. The 'egotistical' comment wasn't aimed at you either, I have the people in mind as I type this.. But they are now on my block list and will remain to be so for the foreseeable future, because quite frankly.. I can't be bothered to have people abuse me. I've got far better things to do - like training for my push to become professional and arguing the toss with you haha!

I can't comment on your blog, I haven't read it, and so it's unfair to be prejudiced about things like that. I'm sure, by the quality of your written responses on here, that it's an excellent website. I'm also going to ignore your comment about 'some' sites.

To conclude on your final point. I'm aware people have complained about me. I don't particularly have sympathy with them, as like I said to the guy who called me a 'twat', the block option is there if you don't like what I post. If I had posted something offensive, then I could understand it. I know I'm not particularly liked on here, but I continue to return because it's a great site. The best football forum on the internet in my eyes. I have no interest in who is 'leader' of BigSoccer, all I know is that you're an administrator. So please don't assume that I'm trying to discredit you in any way, because I'm absolutely 100% not. You're an interesting poster, and the points you raise encourage debate. My debating may be very aggressive at times, perhaps unnecessarily so, but I don't intend to offend or cause trouble with anyone. I come on this forum to debate, and the reason you and I continue to have these arguments is because of the topics you bring up.

Hopefully that's the end of this debate, as I'm sure the forum would appreciate the opportunity to discuss some football boots.

5. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    *sigh*

No, I'm fully aware that my definition of 'quality' is not correct. That is MY personal interpretation of quality in terms of football boots. As an English student at University I'm fully aware of that! To clear this matter up, I'll use an example of two of my friends and team-mates.

Said team-mate has a pair of Adidas F50 AdiZero 1.5s, in the launch colourway. That said pair, has lost two studs (they're firm ground), huge tears around the toe and are about to just completely pack in.. He is aware of these faults, wishes they weren't there, but continues to wear them anyway because he feels comfortable and performs well in them. An example of another team-mate is a guy who wears Nike Mercurial Miracles, in the Cactus colourway from the Superfly era. He has had these boots for a long time now (circa two years). He has to 'tape' his boots with electrical tape (yes, seriously) because the tears are that bad. But does he care? No, not really.. They cost him £60 two years ago... He plays football. He wears football boots to play football in, not worry about tears.

My interpretation of this is it's shocking. I couldn't wear boots that are in that state. I must have had refunds for 8/10 boots in the past year or so now.. Partly because they've torn slightly and I've taken advantage of it. Would I say the build quality has gone down? No. In each of the boots I've returned, I could've easily got another year or so use out of them. So to me, I don't worry about durability. What will be will be. If they develop a fault, I return them. If this returns policy wasn't in place, I'd be a damn sight more worried about durability! So please don't think that I personally do not care, or rely solely on fit and performance.

I understand people out there are not as privileged as me, because not everybody can afford to buy as many boots as I own. Many people own one pair of top quality boots a season. But as a reviewer, I take note of this. I look at it from their point of view. Quite frankly, hardly ANY football boot websites take into account durability. They wear a boot for 3 weeks tops, if there are no problems they give it a top score for durability. I'm not going to name names in terms of what sites this is the case for, but I personally aim to get around 40/50 hours of use out of them before reviewing purely for these people that ARE worried about durability. So let me reiterate, if the returns policy was not in place, I would be a damned sight more worried about durability personally. While it remains in place, durability will not be a top concern of mine, fit and performance will take priority over this. As a reviewer, I take into account what other people are concerned about - durability is one of the top issues.

6. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You know what - that is the best post I've seen on this site. I must admit, one of my flaws (which my Mother says was inherited from my Dad) is that I'm stubborn, and once I've made my mind up about something I refuse to regard anybody's else's opinion. I apologise for this, because looking back.. I look like an absolute nob.

Let me iterate - I'm only 18. My first pair of top football boots was the Vapor IIIs.. Which had to be sawed off my friends foot after he twisted his ankle (he acted like he'd broken it for christs sake) and I've never seen them again. Before that, I have no extensive knowledge about football boots. The older guys (you, JC etc) will have a far broader knowledge about 'quality' over a longer period of time. I admit that now, and I apologise for this entire situation.

b0sk1 and Mercurial4991 repped this.
  7. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I never liked it for performance... to tell you the truth. My Vapor III's were actually LIGHTER... if you want to rate it based on that. None of the features made me trap, shoot, or do anything wiht the ball better. Heck, I preferred my copas back then, because on turf the rounded studs helped me messed up knees.

I just got them, If I am to be perfectly honest...for the green look of the boots. Added in the red laces because it made them look that much neater, and that's about it! Fashion. After putting up with the crap just to look 'cool' on the field like taping my toes with tape so skin wouldn't rub off when playing in them, I knew this boot isn't worth it.

I've never tried the Adipower, but since moving on to a lighter boot than my Vapor III's and IV's along with the benefit of them being PURE SOFTEST K leather... I will never go back to a synthetic, just because of the pains I've had....(although I have the GS2's because they'll look great as a piece in my living room :p).

With newer synthetics becoming softer, they still haven't fixed the issue of them not ripping, or other issues with Durability. This is HUGE for me, because I would HATE to rip a pair of boots after only a couple of months. I am a cheap skate, :p and want to make sure boots can last a pretty long time.

I too think boots should be that way. I've had a pair of copas last me all the way from 14 years old until I was about 22. I threw them away after that. 7 years! I kept the leather as best 'conditioned' as I could... and those boots lasted longer than some pro players careers! While I don't think all boots should last that long, it should still be a big factor. Some kids don't have a lot of money when trying to buy high quality boots. So it will have to last. I remember older leather 'top of the line' boots lasting VERY long. This is how things should be again.... but Nike doesn't want that becaues it will hurt their pockets. Sadly, durability isn't something they consider top priority now... more about 'design' and how to keep things 'fresh'. Makes them money though, and many kids will take mommy and daddy's money and give it to Nike.

Edit: Just read all your posts above. I see you're just a mere pup at 18. Probably missed the good old days... I see where you're coming from now. Helps me put it all into prospective. Look into a good, leather, boot. Nothing beats it. I've been through a good amount of Nike's... especially in the start when they were first playing with Synthetics... for me it was a phase... went leather again.. never went back.

Footballer-7 repped this.
  8. eagleStevat

eagleStevat Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Young folk gravitate like magpies to shiny new things, all the while demonstrating a seemingly unwavering confidence in their decision making process. Anything new and supposedly innovative is revered and anything bland but successful is overlooked. Copas were ubiquitous only a few years ago, and are now rarely seen such is the contemporary obsession with colour and style over substance. I think it's great that boot companies are looking to release new lines, and as a midfielder I look at the control boots out there and appreciate them in terms of appearance and comfort, but I think the live fast, consumer (read throw-away) culture is depressing. I was always taught to respect your belongings and look after them. You'd think in such austere times that would be sage advice no?

9. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Funny you mention that. It actually excites me to see pro players in Copas. I find it fascinating that Zidane's son only wears copas now... maybe cause Papa doesn't like sythetics? One pretty big player to still use them is French Star for Malaga, Jeremey Toulalan. Mixed Studs no less! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

serginhobertholi and b0sk1 repped this.
  10. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is one of your best responses to date; you have my respect for your growing level of critical thinking application and well formulated responses.

I wish you luck on your path to be a professional, it is a hard road. I was walking it once too until a serious injury derailed my ambitions when I was 20 years old. Personally, if you don't like me I am not too bothered; I would rather have your respect than your adoration, which I seem to have based on your reply to me. I deal with a lot of people I have a mixed bag of feelings for personally, but if I respect them and they respect me our professional interactions are always positive no matter where our personal connection stands.

My "other sites" comment was not a dig at your port of call. I actually enjoy a fair bit on your site and I think by and large you have objective reviews and generally informed contributors. I also enjoy your podcasts because it is nice to chew the fat with collectively interested people and listen in on that when possible. There are a few other places online that I abhor - despite daily visits - and many others that I respect.

Aside from ripping apart what I see a flawed industry my goal here is to make this forum the best stop for people outside of the blogs that seem to pop up daily. I want that to be what I leave behind when at some point I walk away by choice or force. You may not be concerned with who is the "leader" here, but I feel like this forum is a part of me because I helped birth it and appleCORR7 who is more essential now that I am -and Skizz while he was here - have been critical in running/developing/growing it along with me. If anything I want this to not only be a better place than it was when I started - which it is - but forever be the best forum for the topics covered.

Let's carry on and we will all be better as the forum gets stronger with more informed posters and strong debate that encourages critical thinking.

b0sk1 and Bolivianfuego repped this.
  11. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I understand where you are coming from, especially with the generous return policies in place these days - from adidas, Nike and most retailers; Puma sucks in this area directly - but I still cannot excuse items that fall apart easily just because they can be readily replaced.

I swap boots a lot, but I also have a few pairs that I will wear until death becomes them. On those boots I don't expect the death to come as soon as it frequently does, which happens because of the current slipshod measures of quality inspection and lack of craft due to cost saving measures.

My experience with the adiZero leather in the 1 and 1.5 and the adiPower underline this upset and put an exclamation point on it. Purely on performance/fit/feel these boots all ranked up there with the very best I have ever used. They hit the sweet spot of instant comfort, limited time before they felt like "my boot" - adiZero 1.5 instantly felt that way out of the box - and they gave me that little bit of excitement when I put them on that makes you feel ready to play. All three of these boots showed serious durability flaws with in one to 15 uses, with the 1.5 having major outsole separation in my first game -which I ignored until the boot totally split - and the other two falling somewhere in the middle with the adiPower lasting the longest but not nearly long enough. Was turf a factor? Possibly but I also used them on grass and turf is not such an abrasive substance that 15 mins of running on it should bust a shoe into something that resembles and open Venus fly trap.

We shall have to agree to disagree on this particular topic. It is all about rhetoric....you choice to ignore this particular topic - or at least lessen its value to your overall opinion - and I chose to make it salient and put in front and center on my agenda - which transforms it from a topic to an issue as long as I am being seen as a credible persuader.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  12. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, I'm just a 'pup' so to speak. A rather brash, outspoken one at times but there you go. I'm actually looking for a brand new pair of boots for the turn of the year. Something I've not tried before. The only heritage ranges I've really tried are the Tiempo, Speciali and AdiPure. I'm looking to try a pair of Mizuno football boots soon. Sadly, I'll probably end up plumping for the Vapor IXs and regret it.

P.S. JC, I'm pleased we've sorted our differences and I didn't want to quote your post in an attempt to get this NIKE thread back on track!

13. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Understood...I am always here via PM if you want to chat, about any topic.

So.....Nike

14. Ryan James

Ryan James Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Got my heart set on getting a pair of Vapor III's ina white/gold, white/silver or charcoal/gold colourway. Got a question: How do they fit in comparison to Vapor VIII's for instance?

15. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think all vapors pretty much fit the same. I've always worn a size 6 in vapors and the most recent models do fit pretty similar to the 3s so I'd go the same size.

appleCORR

16. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yea. After putting my feet through hell wearing the old nike synthetics, with it making my toes bleed under the nail, cutting up the top of my toes, and not enough protection of leather when getting stomped... i had to change. I like a lightweight leather boot. Has 'lightweight' speed boots have, but the fit a leather boot has. Best of both worlds for me. Doesn't have to be mizuno... but from what I hear, they're the best at right now. Heard good things about the King SLs though...

17. kick96

kick96 Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Jon, take this as advice not criticism. I don't think the issue with arguments is entirely the other users on this forum but also a bit to do with your attitude towards others. Whenever you have a discussion on here you never take in another persons point of view nor differ your perspective with the points they have given. I don't know about you but when i argue with someone i like it if they listen to my points and if they are good, change their opinion, and I would do the same. I'm just saying if you want more discussions on these forums, then I suggest you open up to others and accept their point of view instead of being so forceful and naive.

18. SSFC5

SSFC5 Member

May 17, 2011
    United States
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Maybe I'm being nit picky here but I don't think he has to ACCEPT others point of view. Perhaps just try to understand or acknowledge their POV.

Anyway, back to Nike, I'm stopping by the cobbler tomorrow in order to pick up some leather dye. I'm going to attempt blacking out the ACC from my GS II. I've never done any customization on my own before. Any tips from experienced folks?

19. gwood88

gwood88 Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Guys come on. I love a good "debate" as much as the next guy, probably even more than the next guy. I'm Italian, it's in our genes to constantly argue! But I think Jon gets the point. I know you are all only trying to help him, and I am sure he appreciates it, but it gets to a certain point where enough is enough. Let's get on with the Nike boots discussion.

Pazzini also wears the Laser IV's. Also Pato did for a short amount of time. I would never buy them but I am sad to see the Laser line go. But who knows the new Venom may turn out to be a really great boot too!

JonIsAnOwl repped this.
  20. Mercurial4991

Mercurial4991 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually liked the synthetic Laser IV a lot, had the launch white/orange/black colorway.

I also had a blackout pair of what I thought was going to be the Laser V, but I guess it could have just been a test of the new Kangalite upper or the ACC.

21. dermolo

dermolo New Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle
    Been eyeing up a pair of laser IVs for a long while, but find myself consistently put off by the bladed studs. Are they really such a deal-breaker, or is it just me?

22. Elbullio

Elbullio Member

Dec 24, 2010
    The laser IV is a good boot. Low toebox, nice wide fit and lots of rubber if you like a bit of extra grip on the ball.

As for the bladed studs, they are only dangerous if you play on turf. The stud system gives a nice mix of traction and stability on grass.

If you can snag up a pair of Laser IV's during the forthcomming sale period, i would definetly recommend Them

23. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It is a complex concept. Your body is the only true indicator of what works and what doesn't. It is like anything that has potential to do harm to the body; some people either have a knack for avoiding it, or their composition prevents it, while others are prone to issues.

In full disclosure, I never had issues with blades on turf - outside that is - but I avoid using cleated outsoles on indoor turf because the depth is different due to the cement that usually sits under it. Because I have torn my knee to shreds I don't think I will be doing blades on any surface ever again, despite my desire to stock pile a load of adiPowers. I figure that there is no reason to increase the risk on an already compromised joint. Three of my all time top boots are bladed though, the AZT II, and Predators Mania and adiPower. All were worn with no issues, the first two all on grass and the latter mostly in turf with some coaching/training/matches on grass.

If you have never had issues in the past it is hard to say what the future would hold, but if you have been wearing blades and seen a lot of minor joint injuries a big one could be around the corner due to loading problems related to rotational force. The risk with blades is that they stop you dead and straight while the rest of your body is rotating/accelerating/decelerating. If the blades get stuck and don't release when your turning or going hard forward/backward and the foot is locked in directionally you can have anything from a close call to what I hatefully refer to as "my f'n knee".

It is best to weigh the risk vs. reward of use, and make your choice. Just arm yourself with as much info as you can so if something does go wrong you know that you were the responsible party at the end of the day.

24. Elbullio

Elbullio Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Señor Boots, do you have any scientific papers or research towards bladed-studs on turf?

I was trying to tell my team-mates that they shouldnt use bladed studs due to increased risk of injury. However, they shelled me with "we never had any injuries with bladed studs" and so on.

25. JonIsAnOwl

JonIsAnOwl Member

Apr 20, 2011
    England
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not everybody gets horrible knee injuries all the time - all it takes is one little knock and it could put you out for months.