Nickelback is the worst band ever

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by soccermilitant, May 31, 2012.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You actually have a knob on your car radio, which you can turn? :eek:

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yep, that's not a metaphor, I actually thought about what action I took before posting. Old-fashioned knob, although car is new.

3. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Hmmmm...not sure I get the Billy Joel hatred. Are we talking about his music or more so about his persona? If it's his persona, yeah I'd put him right up there with phuck rags like Madonna and Cher. Pre "We Didn't Start The Fire" era he had some catchy, fun stuff.

StiltonFC repped this.
  4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    None of the bands listed so far are as bad as Ray LaMontagne*. I feel like the US unleashed him on the rest of the world as some sort of punishment. Auditory water-boarding.

* I wish he had stayed on his ********ing mountain!

5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    In my case both. Bombastic, overstated, obvious, drenched in fake pathos.

I do like Only the Good Die Young. But Piano Man, She's Always a Woman, Big Shot ... oh Big Shot. Ick Big Shot. What a mistake to remind myself of that one.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Good call. Every Ray LaMontagne song is as bad as Big Shot.

7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Any chance you hail from L.I.?

I realize Springsteen has had some duds and his faux-Midwest accent can be grating. But overall I'm not embarrassed to say I like Bruce. I'd (rightly) get my ass kicked if I admitted I loved B.J.

8. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Nah, I'm from Upstate (town of Spencer) so I'm probably not even considered a real New Yorker. Don't get me wrong, I'm not gonna drive around with the windows down, blasting the theme song from "Bossom Buddies", but I just don't put BJ in the same class as a Bachman Turner Overdrive or Nickelback.

9. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's probably because, early in his career at least, Joel managed to stumble across a handful of decently memorable hooks they we all grew up with. So if you don't listen to him that much it's easy to forget how bombastic and cliched most of his catalog really is.

10. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think it's the hardcore jealousy that these young punks feel toward Joel because he hooked up with a woman who should have been unattainable for him based on his looks. same with Lyle Lovett on a different scale.

Billy ( and i've never been much of a fan of calling adults "Billy" ) Joel wrote a dozen songs that are perfect examples of the pop vibe of the era in which they were written. why can't you young bucks get that? it's pop music. it has its own time frame.

nobody would be able to release Vanilla Fudge's "You Keep Me Hangin' On" in the 1990s but it climbed to the BB Top 10 in 1967 because it fit well into the psychedelic era's vibe ( for lack of a better word -- you wordsmiths can plug in a better term ).

i think Joel's daughter with Christie Brinkley is a very interesting looking young woman

[​IMG]

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Young punks? Sheeet I remember when Petula Clark released Downtown. I had the single. And lemme tell ya, Billy is bad.

But he's got some good genes, man. That's quite the picture my friend.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  12. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, so maybe you're not young ;) -- but as to the genes, it was Christie's jeans that gave that girl her looks, no doubt...

not the Gwen Stefani No Doubt. and how did she get the L'Oreal gig???

13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Imagine if the father was anyone but Billy Joel.

JohnR repped this.
  14. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG][
    oh, i agree

[​IMG]

profiled repped this.
  15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well played. I must agree, she would be better looking yet if I were the father, and that's not even the first reason I can think of why I should have been her father.

16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Should I think of Nickelback as the new Hootie? The buzz about Hootie in the day was not that they were uniquely awful, but that they were loathsome because they were generic untalented uninspired imitators who somehow got rich even while 10,000 other generic untalented uninspired imitators went nowhere. And they were deadly serious and seemed to have no clue whatsoever that they were lucky rather than good. They thought they were "artists" and they were derivative eh. That was the story of Hootie.

17. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether you value his opinion or not, Robert Cristgau gave Cracked Rear View a "B" grade and Rolling Stone gave it 3.5 stars.

They got David Crosby to sing background vocals on one of the songs. He's legendary on that account.

18. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Well 1995 was the year Hootie hit it big in the USA, and 2001 was Nickelback's year so they are just about contemporaries. Hootie was indeed terrible, but have you heard Darius Rucker's country stuff? Yikes.

It's scary to think that these guys actually put some thought into what they were doing.
    From Wikipedia on Nickelback:

"Around 2001 Chad Kroeger started "studying every piece, everything sonically, everything lyrically, everything musically, chord structure. I would dissect every single song that I would hear on the radio or every song that had ever done well on a chart and I would say, 'Why did this do well?'" Nickelback's single How You Remind Me, Kroeger told Bliss, sold so well because it was about romantic relationships, a universal subject, and contained memorable hooks.

19. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you simply hate popular music? What did you think of Fleetwood Mac's two smash albums? The 1975 self-titled album and Rumours?

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Great stuff, now we're talking pop music. And bring on the Gin Blossoms 20 years later, that was a band too.

StiltonFC repped this.
  21. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Oh my. I've had Fleetwood Mac on my IPOD ever since I've had an IPOD. I can easily reconcile my love for bands like The Replacements, Nick Drake, Red House Painters with ultra-poppy stuff like Journey, Cyndi Lauper and the BeeJee's.

22. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By far, Gin Blossoms exceed the pop music quotient of Hootie, but there were two or three decent songs on CRV, and I don't mean Let Her Cry and I Only Want To Be With You, both of which are quite forgettable.

I love good roots-rock and jangle-pop and especially power-pop. Dwight Twilley, Del Amitri, Matthew Sweet, Smithereens, and earlier groups like The Raspberries. Not exactly "edgy". :)

23. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Yeah they were great at the time and I didn't know it. I was too busy getting caught up in all the terrible and forgetable grunge/post-grunge of the time. I remember the GB's lead singer had this cool floppy shoulder length hair. Sadly, I noticed in youtube video of them playing live not too long ago that the flowing locks turned into a bad comb-over.

24. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. So I just saw an article that Avril Lavigne got engaged to the singer for this band. I have to confess, I had never heard them. I knew of them. I knew they were supposed to be bad... and now I know, because I remembered this thread, got curious, and I went to YouTube. Wow. Seriously. That's some awful crap.

BTW, I have also taken to using the term "shnickelback" when I need an expletive when I don't want to swear in front of my kids.

Strangely, I began doing that a few weeks ago, before I'd ever heard them.