NGR - Steven Cohen fired by FSC

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Media Man, Jul 29, 2009.

1. dathay

dathay Member

Jul 9, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How do you know he has not submitted these e-mails to the FBI and other authorities? Because he hasn't given you the case number nor the e-mails? To be fair I don't think Steven would be at all eager to deal with LFCNY at any level after that damage that they had done to him through the advertisers etc... And to add to this. Steven has been getting these e-mails for over 4 months but LFCNY only waited until the last month to offer to step in and "name shame and pass on details to the authorities"?!? I'm sorry but given the time that offer would be seeming to lacking in sincerity to me if I was in his position. But there I go... drawing my own conclusions.:rolleyes:

I am not defending Steven's position on this. He has a way of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time and has said things in the past that have left me shaking my head. I do not think though that anyone should have to deal with what he has had to deal with. I'm sad to see the show go and I hope that Steven and his family can now enjoy some peace.

2. WoodyinCU

WoodyinCU Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Duluth, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I've said to CBrown and the other propagandists, Steven can't release those emaills. At the request of the agencies and their lawyers, WSD is not allowed to release them because they are part of an active investigation. The ones they have read on the air and have sent are ons not in authorities hands.

We lost a good show, and the only national soccer show in the USA. Thanks WSD for a great 7 years.

3. cbrown89

cbrown89 New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    No public record exists of any criminal complaint filed by Cohen in CA.

Steven not eager to deal-go email Mark Sawyer at UCLA who Cohen wanted to mediate a resolution. LFCNY wanted three things met first, Cohen and Sawyer were given nearly a month to provide these. They didn't.

4. Media Man

Media Man New Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Here's the deal... WSD was never a Sirius show. The holding company Soccer Weekly, Inc. bought the time from Sirius and then controlled the entire inventory (a few spots were bartered back to Sirius). This also allowed Soccer Weekly to distribute the show through distribution channels outside of Sirius-XM’s control.

Without advertisers this model is untenable. The show was cancelled to due an absence of finance.

5. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm that seems pretty definative. Do you have a citation to back that up? How did you become privy to this knowledge? Is this fact or just your educated guess?

You are aware that the show continued to sign new advertising clients up until the last day correct? I'm just curious where you are getting your info from. I'd like to take a look.

6. Media Man

Media Man New Member

Dec 10, 2007

Scott Greenstein, who I've known for years.

BTW - having small advertisers with small budgets isn't going to cover the operating costs (air time, production, salaries, insurance, etc.) over a long period of time. When Steven has been talking about how tough it has been for 4 months, he isn't talking about his emotions. There is tremendous freedom with owning the show, but there is a hell of a lot of hard work that is required by going down that route.

7. dathay

dathay Member

Jul 9, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think the more accurate statement here is "When Steven has been talking about how tough it has been for 4 months, he isn't JUST talking about his emotions."

I have no doubt that the info you cite is true. Loosing the beer sponsor and the rest is hard to make up with little piece meal advertisers like you say, but I am unconvinced that the emotional toll did not also factor in and may in the end have been the straw that broke Steven's back.

8. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it was a combination of both.

Bottom line is that its a shame we no longer have a daily soccer radio show to listen to for those of us that enjoyed it.

Back to my original question, can anybody else recommend any other shows/podcasts of a similar format so I can get my fix?:(

9. Media Man

Media Man New Member

Dec 10, 2007

I think that is absolutely fair.

The next time I see Steven, I'll ask him... he's now one of my neighbors.

Cleschke: if you like the caller-driven, Prem-centric show, try BBC 5 Live World Football Phone-in

10. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tobias Junction

I wouldn't throw around that name like it's supposed to mean something. Mr. Greenstein has captained the ship for some of Sirius Satellite Radio's biggest failures.

Martha Stewart Living Channel. (Martha would receive like Oprah a reported 20 million per year for constitutes to about 2% of all Sirius/XM listerners.)

Mad Dog Radio. (3 million per year to a guy who is pulling almost 1000 calls per hour, and 180 days after his move to satellite from terestrial radio only garnerd 9,500 new subscriptions.)

Playboy Radio (at first was to be a premium "extra" pay service from Sirius. but after lack of interest and only dozens of listeners willing to pay the $6.99 extra monthly cost.. it was sustained to the regular lineup.)

The Foxxhole (Jamie Fox's all new "Black Themed" channel for comedy and music. garnerd no bump in subscriptions and it cost Sirius a reported $850-$1million dollar a year fee to Jamie Fox himself to host a minimum of 1 hour a week on his own show.

If and when Howard Stern leaves Sirius most likely due to retirement this Satellite thing will Warp drive into the garbage.. thanks to the mega imbicolic moves by one Scott Greenstein. The Sirius stock which I was able to attain back in 05' and peaked at $17 dollars per share in August 06', went crashing down 3 years later to .06 cents per share after the merger and taking on huge amounts of debt. There was talk a few months ago of Sirius going bankrupt, but at the last minute Sirius and their parent company were able to get Capital funding of 300 million dollars to keep them operating until 1/1/10.

After that who knows.

11. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if it's the same format since I never listened to the Cohen show -- but I love The Guardian's Football Weekly podcast. EPL centric, but also very good round ups of Spain and Italy each week by Guardian writers.

Available on iTunes and here:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/series/footballweekly

12. Media Man

Media Man New Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Re: Tobias Junction

Next time I see Scott, I'll be sure to tell him how much of a loser you think he is. Given he's produced multiple Academy Awards, Golden Globes, and numerous other industry honors, I'm sure he'll take the opinion of "TequilaJoal" to heart.

13. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reliable venture

You sir have proved my point exactly. None of these honors include anything in or within the radio industry. Scott Greenstein is just another useless MBA significantly overmatched by an industry he had no business in.

Mel Karmazin brought Howard Stern. 5-6 million subscribers.

Scott Greenstein brought Martha Stewart, Jamie Foxx, Barbara Walters. ugh... Zero, and I mean 0 subscribers. "Howard even said so"

And lets look at the stock prices. Dec 2005 = $8.02/ per share. Feb. 2009 = .11 cents to a respectable comeback after a merger to potential bankruptcy filings Aug. 2009 .64 cents

And just personally speaking In 2007 I paid a monthly subscription fee of $12.95 per month. I just recently made a deal to keep my Sirius XM subscription for $77.00 dollars for a year including online and a second radio... Ouch!!!

Thanks Scott Greenstein.

14. propeller74

propeller74 Member

Sep 15, 2008
    LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Reliable venture

Going to miss a Football show that doesn't include the unintelligable Chinaglia & his kiss-ass side kick, but on the otherhand I won't miss Chelsea Soccer Daily anymore. I can't imageine that a small contingent of LFC fans could possibly have derailed this guy, but if they did Kudos to them if they care so much.

for him to blame Gillet and Hicks though? What is he talking about?

15. Media Man

Media Man New Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Re: Reliable venture

Scott actually led the negotiations with Howard at the beginning of the decade (2002, 2003 I don't recall the exact time)... but really, you're just bothered because you are paying for radio. Let's cut the chase already.

16. Mucklebones

Mucklebones New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fired by fsc. Hmmm.. I wonder why? He's a chelsea fan which doesn't bold well. But on top of that he has an opinion. Can't have that!

What a shame.

17. dathay

dathay Member

Jul 9, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Apparently WSD is being rebranded and brought out as a subscription based program.

http://worldsoccerreader.com/2009/08/steven-cohen-to-launch-world-football-daily/

From what I have been able to gather LFCNY has decided that they have achieved what they set out to do and have declared the slate "clean" and stated that they will not go after Steven unless he brings up Hillsborough again (which would be criminally stupid IMHO).

Being subscription based will mean that they will be free of the threat of an advertiser's boycott.

While I am interested in this because I miss the show (I REALLY liked the contributors to the show like Vickery et al.) I feel a little bit funny about this. I thought that he was abandoning the show because he feared for his family. But then again, now that the main show has been cancelled and LFCNY have called off their dogs, perhaps he feels safer now. Who knows. Will be interested to see how it addresses this apparent contradiction.

18. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    malphesence

For who...Steven Cohen or LFCNY?

19. cleschke

cleschke Member+

Aug 16, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess it was all about the money after all.

20. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is passionate about the game. LFC mob were making it untenable to fund the show as well as insulting and making life unpleasant for him and his family. He pulled the plug as you would expect him to. He thinks he has found a way to make the whole enterprise worthwhile leaving out the mob to a far greter extent than possible before. It was not one thing as he mentioned on the last show, but the family stuff pushed it over the edge.