[NGR] Beckham in the Media.2

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Crimen y Castigo, Aug 31, 2009.

1. sanda

sanda Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Virginia
    "Search this forum"-->Beckham -->prepare to spend hours to go over all three thousand of posts-->you will get your answer.

2. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cadaver pretty much nailed it, as usual.

A few minor additions:
    >>It was frequently alluded that MLS fans were delusional in thinking the quality of play in MLS was comparable to Serie A and statements to the contrary was part of the "insult" perceived by LA fans. Not true.

>>I don't think there's been much of a fuss about next year's loan deal with Milan -- which will apparently be exactly the same -- because there's been full disclosure.

3. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also to Tom (welcome!, by the way):

If you want to fully immerse yourself in the ugly back-n-forth that went on here after his return from Milan, you can get more than a belly full here.

One more thing: Big thanks for finding this thread and posting your question here, as opposed to starting a new thread about a well worn issue. Much appreciated.

4. whufc_tom

whufc_tom New Member

Oct 10, 2009
    England
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Ok thanks. :) I didn't really see the point in starting a new one really, and also i new that people would be talking about it, or would have talked about it.

5. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What the English media really fails to understand are the actual reasons behind the backlash. It's not because he went to Milan on loan - players have done that many times before, like Donovan went to Bayern, Blanco went back to Mexico for a spell... that's not the problem at all. Players need to play to keep fit, he's not used to having a 4-month offseason, and he wanted to maintain his match trim to keep in the England frame. All valid, perfectly reasonable reasons. The way I see it, the problem was actually a combination of three different things:

1) Beckham misled MLS about his loan period. Initially it was to be just until the beginning of the 2009 MLS season, but once he got to Milan he weasled and cajoled and bought himself several more months at Milan at the expense of Galaxy. If he'd come back during pre-season, it wouldn't have been an issue. Doing what he did left Galaxy under-prepared for the season, unable to make arrangements to adequately cover for his absence, and potentially undermined the beginning of what was a very important year for the team. Galaxy isn't a bigger club than Milan, obviously, but there are still many thousands of people who care deeply about the club and whose season could have been ruined by his actions.

2) Some of the things Beckham said to the European media were interpreted as being disparaging to Galaxy. Of course we're not as good as Milan. We're probably not as good as any team in the EPL. But we are MUCH more than the "pub team" a lot of the European media portrayed us as being and - again - there are many thousands of people who care deeply about the club and don't like their team being publicly belittled by a man who supposedly was committed to the team and is an ambassador for American soccer.

3) The whole thing coincided with Grant Wahl's book which revealed how Beckham's people (not necessarily Beckham himself) came in and ruined the Galaxy back room by bringing in the cancerous Ruud Gullit, creating locker room divisions, creating tension in the boardroom, and contributed significantly to the disastrous 2008 season where Galaxy was one of the worst teams in the league. Plus it didn't help that Beckham seemed disintereted in playing for a lot of the latter half of the '08 season.

I think a lot of people felt very frusrrated that all these issues coincided with Beckham's arrival, and the final straw was him basically dicking Galaxy around with his loan, and treating the club with disrespect.

So basically:

- loan move to Europe during the MLS offseason = good
    - creating havoc with the season's preparations and sticking a percieved middle finger up at the team while at Milan = banners and angry fans when he finally came back

6. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

7. Finley

Finley Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Under the blue sky
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ld-England-jet-setter-tired-face-Ukraine.html

"You are no good?" Seriously? Capello is a member of LARS?

Sounds like DB took it all right, but that had to suck to hear. Hopefully, something was lost in translation. Did Capello really have to fly him all the way over there to reiterate his point that he won't pick him if he's not playing in a top side in Europe? I'd much rather he were here with the Galaxy preparing for the Houston game. At least he's not putting anymore wear and tear on that ankle.

8. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's a pretty shitty thing for Capello to do to the guy. he's been working his arse off on the field for us and it's never been like his effort for his national team has ever been in question. is Capello just trying to reiterate his taking of a dump on the quality of MLS? i find it hard to believe that beckham was not giving his all for the 3 lions. there's hard-nosed ... and then there's heartless.

9. sanda

sanda Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Virginia
    You guys probably misunderstood Capello. He was asking Becks if he felt not good at the training. He said Becks was tired when he was at training. Given the circumstance that he played very hard with Chicago then flied back to London then to Belarus, the jet leg may get him this time. Well, if he's not physically fit, surely Capello would not play him. No big deal.

10. sanda

sanda Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Virginia

I did not see what he said in Milan was any disrespectful to MLS or MLS fans. Some of them intendeded to interperate anything he said or did with a ill intention. There is nothing he can do that's right to them. Talking about being overreacting and dramatic.

11. Finley

Finley Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Under the blue sky
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm sure something was lost in translation, but I wish Capello hadn't called him up at all. He knew all of the circumstances you mentioned, and it is not like he needed him on the squad (obviously). England have qualified. Capello knows how Becks plays given that he has coached him longer than any other England player. He can't possibly have any question about whether DB can play with Terry, Lamps, Rooney, Rio, Gerrard etc. He's been playing with some of them for over ten years. This call up was unnecessary imo.

It's just frustrating to me to think that DB is probably killing himself in training trying to impress Capello so he can sit on the substitute bench for Belarus, when we need him at his best for the Houston game. :mad:

12. sanda

sanda Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Virginia
    Capello did not ask him to play for MLS and England. It's Becks own choice and he had to live with it.

13. sanda

sanda Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Virginia
    Becks earned his 115 caps with an assist and named MOTM! I can hear some haters' heads explode across the ocean. :D

14. Jones71

Jones71 New Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Seriously. Everything involving Beckham on these boards is so overly dramatic. So what if he didn't dress for the Ukraine game or that Capello thought he was tired from his 6,500 mile trip? He probably was tired. I would be.

Don Fabio brought Beckham on the 58' minute today against Belarus and Becks almost immediately become the dominant presence in the game. Barring injury, there's no way Beckham won't be named to England World Cup 2010 squad.

15. JediMindTricks

Jun 20, 2006
    Houston
    don't see any reason to over react just because he didn't dress against ukraine.

england have qualified already, capello knows what he brings, and he probably wanted to give guys like milner another chance to play.

16. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one of the reasons for this being so is that certain posters, ahem, are here for no other purpose than the promotion of Brand Beckham. ahem.

and you'll note that the tenor of the posts above on the subject was generally one of sympathy for Beckham and at least slightly critical of Capello.

17. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously Beckham learned something from his time playing with Landon Donovan....

18. sanda

sanda Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Virginia
    You don't want me to start it...

19. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hee hee!:)

20. Pegasus503

Pegasus503 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Capello is a genius

check out the quote

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...David-Beckham-won-Man-of-the-Match-award.html

FABIO CAPELLO was left bewildered last night as sub David Beckham was named England's Man of the Match despite playing for just 31 minutes.

The Three Lions boss could not believe it when the announcement was made after Peter Crouch's double had inspired an easy win over Belarus.
    Capello admitted: "Yes, I was surprised by that one. I just thought it was like Barack Obama getting the Nobel Peace Prize after eight months as USA President.

"With Beckham he gets the man of the match after just 30 minutes here!"

Beckham was nominated by his former Manchester United team-mate Steve Bruce, who was analysing the match for ITV.

The LA Galaxy superstar admitted: "I don't know how I got that one. Thanks Brucie. I played with him, of course."

Yet Sunderland boss Bruce insisted: "For me, David had the biggest impact on the game even though he was only on for 30 minutes.

"He is desperate to get on that plane to South Africa and tonight he lifted the whole occasion.

"You can't deny his range of passing and it's great for him that he can still play balls like he did out there tonight.

"Now he just needs to get rid of the beard and I'm not too sure about the tattoos, either.

"I know Crouch scored two goals but I couldn't give him the man of the match - he turned me down in the summer!"

Beckham, 34, has now won 115 England caps and is near to completing another loan move to AC Milan to keep himself in the World Cup frame.

He said: "That move back to Milan is close. I've always said I want to go back there if they want me. It's 95 per cent done and I can't see it not happening now.

"Tonight was such an important match. We needed to end the qualifying campaign on a high and get over the loss in our last game.

"The lads who have played in this squad have had some great games and some exceptional performances.

"We all have to prove with every game and every training session that we want to be in the squad for every game.

"Every one of these players is so hungry to go to the World Cup. We all want to be out there."

Capello said: "For me it's very important Beckham plays at Milan.

"The good thing about David is that he has always played well and been focused, however long he is on the pitch."

21. Finley

Finley Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Under the blue sky
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Capello forgot to mention that David owes all of this to the influence Landon Donovan.

Bet Donovan's really proud of him now.

22. JukeBox

JukeBox Member

Apr 14, 2008
    South East Asia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This I am totally agree! I can see that some of the people and "fans" really love to misinterprete things when it comes to Becks however obvious his words were/are..like they misinterpreted Capello's questions of Beckham's physicality in training coz he obviously looking tired after flying thousands of miles away unlike the rest of the team (though it's not an ill-intention of misinterpretation..but it's still a misinterpretation of the obvious thing). And turned out Capello was right - Becks was back at his best again at Wembley, and I think he would do well to play against Houston next. ;)

23. JukeBox

JukeBox Member

Apr 14, 2008
    South East Asia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And I was laughing non stop when the crowd starting to cheer loudly when they saw Beckham walking toward the pitch and louder when his name being mentioned after. It's so funny..and I can see Beckham was a bit embarrased by the fans' adoration on him as he was only the substitute and came on for the last 30 minutes or so. And I can't imagined what Beckham felt when he was named as the MOTM afterward. It's ridiculous and probably too much for him..but it was really funny.

Hope to see him on the plane to S.A next year as one of the players. If he can prove his greatness in Milan like what he did with the Galaxy now, he is more that deserve it! :)

24. Finley

Finley Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Under the blue sky
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He is not finished proving his greatness to the Galaxy. There are playoffs to be won!

25. JukeBox

JukeBox Member

Apr 14, 2008
    South East Asia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh yeah..the playoffs. How can I forget that? :p
    Well, I'm sure he will do well next month. (is it really just next month? Wow..time sure moves fast!)