[NGR] Ackman's presentation on Herbalife: “This isn’t even a pyramid scheme, it’s a pancake scheme.”

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by CapeCodFutbol, Dec 20, 2012.

1. scsc2000

scsc2000 Member

Jul 7, 2008
    not true, but I think you might mean if you own a captive agency/brokerage. In that case, it's still not true.

2. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    But how is Aon a pyramid??

I don't mean to take us this far off topic (of something already NGR) but your assertions that Aon have the same model as Herbalife are accused of (ie running a pyramid) are libelous and if true would be one of the most remarkable stories in the business world.

Are we sure we're talking the same Aon (a company nearly 100 years old with dozens of lines of business in many areas and 62,000 direct employees globally)?

http://www.aon.com/default.jsp

3. scsc2000

scsc2000 Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Depending on the Agency/Brokerage, not all are the same. Owners gets paid by commission & end of year incentives based on loss ratio. Captives work with 1 company, independents has many. Owners pay employees, depending on their positions, their pay stucture is different.

Pyramid business model whether sales of products or services. Owner sale and recruit as many as they can, recruits are trained to do the same. 90% will not succeed, 8% will do ok & 2% will do well. This continues & everybody benefits, it's a very effective model but not exactly a scheme, IMO. Theres no real office structure, this is why most Pyramid models are "work from home, at your own time." You get a person train & licensed(paid by the trainee) & send them out to the world, hopefully they atleast sell a few policies whether its health, life, annuities or investments to their friends & families before they realized it's too hard to leave the company. Maybe in the process they will introduce a few friends and family to join.

4. scsc2000

scsc2000 Member

Jul 7, 2008
    I'm not saying that they are doing anything illegal, Herbalife has been a pyramid ever since inception & they're around for quite a while. You do realize that a lot of companies adopt the pyramid business model. Ever heard of one of the top selling make-up & skincare line Mary Kay or Avon...? All pyramids. Doesn't mean they're illegal.

5. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really are just flat out wrong or are using a very strange definition of pyramid scheme. I practiced insurance law for about 38 years before I retired and had occasion to represent AON and other brokerage firms There is no way that AON is organized the way it appears that Herbalife, Mary Kay, et all are structured. Having corporate subsidiaries DOES NOT make a firm a "pyramid" - at least as that term is being applied to Herbalife.

Kerry Dixon's Boots repped this.
  6. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This poor film guy has absolutely no understanding of what is being debated in this thread at all....

I think I'm going to head over to the Stadium thread which is just full of pretty pictures and far fewer big words...

Kerry Dixon's Boots and Hachiko repped this.
  7. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Kerry Dixon's Boots repped this.