NFL Officials Lockout

Discussion in 'Referee' started by code1390, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    They're all huddled around home plate. If the player doesn't touch home plate, he'll be declared out and obviously if that's the difference in the game, it's of utmost importance that he touches the plate. So the umpire is staring at the plate to make sure the player touches.

2. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Ah. Thanks, that makes perfect sense. I feel better.

Wish I'd been at that game!

3. mtn335

mtn335 Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They're not lined up on the edge of the grass, they're lined up in such a way that Home Plate is clearly visible - and that's what the umpire is staring so intently at. Here's a better view:

[​IMG]
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/files/2012/10/werth7.jpg

They're allowed to be out there as long as (1) they don't interfere with a defender (irrelevant here, since the ball is out of play and the batter-runner may advance to home without the liability to be put out), and (2) they don't assist the batter-runner (think third-base coach pushing a runner back to the base).

What's the umpire watching for? To make sure the batter-runner touches home plate. Once he does, assuming he touched the other bases legally - other umpires looking at them - the game is over. If he fails to do so, he can go back and make sure of it, but if he fails to do so and proceeds to the dugout, he can be called out for abandonment of his last legally-touched base (third). If that were to happen, then you'd continue as though he'd been put out in any other way - in this case, there would have been one out in the home half of the ninth.

EDIT: This took me more than four minutes to write, apparently. I had to go find a picture :) Sorry, Dayton Ref!

4. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Thanks. I could have figured it out from that photo. It was the perspective of the other one that buffaloed me.

5. mtn335

mtn335 Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, Bubba, but you made the mistake of asking about a restart. Being me, I had to explain :-D

GoDawgsGo, La Rikardo and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  6. Errol V

Errol V Member+

Mar 30, 2011
    Think offside is hard for the moms to understand? Can you imagine calling one of these in a U9 game at a tournament. The parents must go ballestic.

7. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    They don't use the infield fly rule for kids that young. Double plays are rare and there is no such thing as catching a fly ball with ordinary effort.

La Rikardo and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  8. mtn335

mtn335 Member

Aug 11, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the infield-fly call that so upset fans in Atlanta (which, by the way, I think was called correctly, contrary to popular wisdom), MLB's official Twitter handle changed its description to remove the line: "We don't understand the infield fly rule, either."

9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    In what league?!? LL uses IFR. PONY uses IFR.

10. JimEWrld

JimEWrld Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I know back when I umpired baseball that they didn't use IFR until the kids were past 5th grade.

11. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC