NFL 2014 Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Football' started by Mengão86, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Free Agency will begin at 4 PM today. The "tampering period" began on Saturday.

2. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #2 Mengão86, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    The Raiders showing why they are still incompetent even without Al. The whole Saffold thing is a joke.

Browns continue to find ways of screwing up...

Emperor Adriano repped this.
  3. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was way off in gauging the Raiders and the quality of their management. @lawsonishere , I'll eat my crow now.

Emperor Adriano repped this.
  4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They were quality enough to take Lamar Woodley from us.

Sorry... right now I'm almost as disappointed with the Steelers' front office as I was when they let Bruce Arians go against the wishes of both Roethlisberger and Coach Tomlin. Last season we could have had Courtney Upshaw AND Dont'a Hightower and didn't get either one.

5. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lol, I was optimistic about them the past 2 years then midway through it hit me and I realized it is hopeless.

6. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yea but Auria that was my point to Matheus entirely... I felt their defense wasn't young enough for a rebuilding effort and the one elite young player on that defense was Lamarr Houston and they let him walk to Chicago. Then replace him with an old ass Justin Tuck... let alone the debacle with Saffold then Bruce pounced on there starting Lt who was young and promising lol.
    Yea but bruce deserves to be a head coach in this league so it all worked out for the best imo. We all knew Haley was an asshole but his scheme actually did help Big Ben get rid of the ball with better quickness and timing to avoid the hits he takes. Haley's 1st season was embarrassing, I can agree there. Big Ben was surprisingly good last year all things considered.

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    THIS move (losing Woodley) is not going to go well. We don't have the talent on offense to win shootouts, and we're losing defensive talent every season.

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Michael Vick. Hooray! (Not)

9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He'll do better maybe than Sanchez or Smith...

10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    We are the NFL's Knicks.

11. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Now Sanchez to Philly?

As for Cuban, he is somewhat correct, though the oversaturation of football won't be its downfall. It will be the grass roots movement away from the violent game as science continues to reveal more on concussions. They will slowly lose their status much as MLB has.

Take what Cuban says with a grain of salt. He understands the tv biz, but he is also promoting his product.

12. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
  13. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #15 Emperor Adriano, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    Definitely not Toronto more likely London, they already cancelled the Toronto Series due to low support. I wouldn't be sold on them leaving either his kids have suggested they will sell it to someone who wants to keep it in Buffalo. The bills also have a 10 year lease with massive penalties for moving the team.

14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  16. freekickwiz

freekickwiz Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    Under the endless sky
    Club:
    DC United
    DeSean to Redskins is a huge possibility. Nothing confirmed, as of yet.

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Agreed. Hate to see him suffer like this.

I think they went ahead and signed him.

Is anyone else here seeing thru the noise about Clowney "taking plays off"? I think he was simply saving himself for the payday. He saw what happened to Lattimore. We all did, but he saw it from a teammate's perspective.

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What happened to MLB that football didn't help bring about? Wouldn't it still be the national pasttime if it hadn't been dethroned? I see it making a likely comeback as football falls under increasing scrutiny because of the injuries.

Agreed.

19. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think its more important than you're giving it credit for. The guys at the top of their position generally have an exceptional work rate to be the best. JJ Watt didn't take plays off even in the freaking Pro Bowl this year. If I'm looking at Clowney as a Texans evaluator, hyped as a generational talent, saving himself and taking plays off, that tells me that he's not self-motivated, that he is okay with being "good enough", so to speak, that we could see okay play and then large performance spikes in contract years. As a Lions fan who is watching Fairley, with just as much potential as Suh, waste away and disappoint week after week, I can tell you that athletic talent alone doesn't win in the NFL, you have to have a drive to be better than everyone else in order to actually be better than everyone else. Clowney could very well be a contract-year player as a No 1 overall pick at DE. And the Texans or anyone else looking at him needs to take that into account IMO.

20. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Mental ability to process information and Mentality probably decide just as many roster decisions as talent at least for the last 10 to 12 roster spots.

21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That game doesn't need to be played at all. If it's true that Watt goes all out in the Pro Bowl, I'm questioning his decisionmaking myself.

He "took plays off" for one season, not all of 'em. All it tells me is, he was up close and in person when Marcus Lattimore lost several million dollars playing some bullshit school football. After that and hearing about what happened to Tyrone Prothro at Alabama, he probably told himself that he wasn't risking his future income over some sis-boom-bah SEC or B(C)S title. Please. He's supposed to shut it down. They all should at that point.

Even with this fabricated controversy (fabricated because someone, somewhere thinks valuable athletes should risk their value giving 100% every time they step onto a school ball field), he's going to earn more money as a healthy man than he would have if gotten his leg snapped in a meaningless developmental game against Alabama or Georgia.

If Clowney doesn't become a star, it won't be his work ethic that holds him back. The media is tied in with college ball, making it seem more important than it really is.

22. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #25 Auriaprottu, Apr 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    [​IMG]

Hope springs eternal! I see us being 8-3 by the bye week, maybe 7-4.

We don't play Denver, Seattle, New England, San Fran, Green Bay or the NYG (who will improve on last season). Of the 12 teams that have reached the Super Bowl in the last decade, we play only two of 'em. Gotta be happy with that sched, even if it means we risk being unprepared for the better teams in the postseason.