Neymar no Sauditão! (from PSG to Al-Hilal)

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Rana catesbeiana, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Kevin_405

Kevin_405 Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Big difference in playing for Barcelona and Brazil is that once Neymar or anyone passes the ball to Messi, it never comes back. in the MC game there was a counter attack started by Neymar with a long pass to Messi. Ball should have been passed back to Neymar , instead Messi takes a incredible shot on goal and hits the post.

On NT that ball would for sure have gone back to Neymar or who ever started the break just because of position of the defense and the open player.

Cant expect any other player to do exceedingly well when a system is centered around Messi.

2. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't get it. Neymar was excellent and highly applauded when he came out at the very end.
    And to anyone thinking Neymar will not start.....Come on you kiddin me?

3. Dribble&Trix

Dribble&Trix Member

Apr 14, 2005
    I agree with You Kevin, this applies to both Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo in Real as well, that is why they have twice as much finishing as their teammates
    and other players, don´t get me wrong they are great players, definately the two best, but still their performance is boosted by their teams being centered around them
    and that is why they can reach those incredible numbers in scoring.

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Neymar left on the bench today and didn't sub in so I was a game early. Could be just to get rested for the game vs Madrid so we will see what happens next weekend. It didn't help his case that Pedro and Alexis played well today all contributing to goals and assists.

5. Jadentheman

Jadentheman Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Celito you know Osasuna was a minnow team

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So was Valladolid. Just saying don't be surprised if he is still riding the bench next weekend. He hasn't played a decent game since his injury. We'll see what happens.

7. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    @globoesportecom: Enquetes mostram que torcedores do Barça preferem Neymar no banco http://t.co/BV1pPKOe4g

Celito corneteiro!!!

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Tava obvio. Vem jogando muito pouco depois da constusao. Foi ate' vaiado pro alguns torcedores durante o ultimo jogo. Nao vou nem especular porque ele esta jogando ruim. So' espero que ele melhore.

9. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    NEYMAR not starting today ????!!!
    WTF!!

10. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Majority of papers expect him to start.

For the record though, I wouldn't call it "wtf" if he didn't start, as it's not like he has outperformed Pedro and Alexis in Barca.

11. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    From what I have seen, Neymar's performance has been outstanding. Last 7 X 0 match with Neymar being poupado did not help though.
    Anyway gonna be a fantastic match - 2 hours away!

12. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Outstanding is too much (compared with Pedro and Alexis), but he has definitely had a very positive start to his Barca career. Hopefully he delivers big time tonight.

13. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    His form has been meh since January, so I don't expect him to start this game.

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Neymar is starting.

15. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    But it seems like what the commentators are saying is that Neymar and Messi are the only two strikers up front! Barcelona is playing in a 4-4-2 formation.

16. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Bit like against City.

17. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Despite the criticism, it seems like Tata was fairly satisfied with Neymar's contributions in El Clasico

18. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    1 brilliant assist to Messi, plus penalty on Neymar resulting in another goal, so Neymar's solid contributions were 2 of the 4 goals, and further showed himself on numerous opportunities - so good performance. What I could not understand was taking Neymar out!

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What are your thoughts ? For me he was average at best (sorry @IVO !, that was no assist to Messi, the defender touched the ball away into Messi's path)

- Had a weak shot at the goalie on a counter at the beginning of the game ... granted it was a tough angle.
    - Then bottled a chance with a bad touch where he took a weak shot at Marcelo who was on the ground.
    - Had another shot from outside the box in the 2nd half but again weak and straight at the goalie.
    - Didn't create any goal opportunities for anyone else.
    - Had no responsibility to come back and help Alves so he was concentrated on offense.
    - Got brought down by Ramos for the PK. Honestly I think this saved his day.

All that's left is his movement was good. But that's basically what Robinho did and I hope we are holding Neymar to a higher standard.

I can't say that was a good performance for someone who is supposed to be a difference maker. Plenty of room to improve.

20. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Though not among the very best players of the match, agreed - it was a somewhat solid performance (but not great) by Neymar. And considering the upcoming high stakes battles in CL and even more so in the World Cup, it's always good not to go invisible in the big matches, though it's not like he killed it yesterday. Plenty of room for improvement indeed.

(Why the sub? It's standard Barca: unless something exceptional happens, wingers get subbed out, and one of the midfielders - just to fight opponents defs with fresh attackers)

21. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Like you said, we hold him to a higher standards. Of course he could have done more. He just doesn't seem to be as a confident or crisp playing on the right side. He's going to have to improve fast, because I doubt Tata will remove Cesc, Iniesta or Fabregas from the lineup (other than once in a while) just to get him on the left.

For Brazil, he has the freedom to roam on the left as he pleases (where he is most comfortable and effective) and he isn't required to do too much dirty work. I had mentioned a while back that Neymar didn't help a whole lot when Mano was the coach and Felipao first took over. Luiz Gustavo's presence as the anchorman to clean things up helped significantly.

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You have Fabregas in there twice ... you mean Alexis or Pedro maybe ? I can tell you Iniesta isn't going anywhere although he could play more in the midfield. Beating Pedro or Alexis for a spot shouldn't be a problem if he is the player we think he can be. Ideally it would be Pedro to make way but he has done good this year in terms of finishing his chances. There is no question Neymar is better, he just needs to show it.

Honestly Neymar hasn't done well on the left either (since his injury). And I do remember him playing on the right with Santos with no problem. I think it's more a question of confidence. The chances he has been missing (like the 2 yesterday) has nothing to do with playing on the right or left.

He will get a pass right now because he did OK in the first half of the season. But next year he needs to start delivering more. That's the problem with placing a 90m price tag on yourself. Makes you a big target and you need to have mental strength to handle the pressure.

23. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Oops, I actually meant Xavi. And yes, he's competing for a spot with Pedro and Alexis, but it's on the right. You need room to fit Iniesta on the left, Xavi and Cesar in the middle with Busquets behind them. I certainly think he is capable of playing well on the right, but the left is clearly his best position.

At Santos, he played sparingly on the right. Usually when he was on the right, it was because he swapped positions with someone during the course of play.

Agree with the rest. He needs to bring it.

24. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    I think he does well when he is not restricted IMO. Even for Brazil, he at times look isolated on the left. As for the game, I don't think he was bad but he shouldn't have started IMO.

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Better performance from Neymar today. 2 goals (one nice, one tap in) and better overall play. I still think he will improve a lot when he gains a little strength. At least for the European scene.