Neymar, 2012 and beyond [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by IVO !, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Sure Brazil is one of the favourites in 2014 and 2018, but there's a big difference between a Brazil fan thinking/hoping Brazil WILL win, and thinking Brazil's chances in connection with other teams' chances. I mean just to start, someone could say Spain's chances of winning 2014 aren't smaller than Brazil's, and that alone makes Brazil 50% max to win 2014, but obviously there must be percentages given to Germany, Argentina, Italy etc etc etc. Realistically, Brazil's chances of winning 2014 must be not higher than, say, 15-20% (if that) I'd guess. And that doesn't mean Brazil's chances are weak, but just that it's really hard to win the World Cup.

Totally agreed on the last part of your post, though.

2. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Australia, NSW
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I believe Neymar can do it, look at Oscar that just joined Chelsea he is going good and same as Eden Hazard.
    Neymar is better than both of them.

3. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This is the real world and not FIFA13. Whatever you do believe of how much better Neymar is, he would change into another squad/league/situation. Just because those you mentioned do good doesn't mean Neymar would be great instantly. To risk such problems less than a year before the World Cup is ambitious.

It makes no difference to me, though.

4. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    That fact is that winning a tourney like the WC requires talent and a lot of luck. A bad bounce, a bad call, a stupid mistake, etc can be the difference between the whole world being on a player's or team's nuts and the whole world syaing they are extremely overated. Brasil is talented enough to be the legitimate conservation of winning it, and thats all you can ask for in a tourney like this.

Case in point, Portugal had the chance to beat Spain in the WC and in the last Euro. A couple different bounces in those games and peoples outlook on those teams would be much much different. The sad fact is that Neymar is going to get highly scrutinized this WC, and it's going to be unfair. If Brasil wins, people will say he's another Pele'. If Brasil crash out early, he's Denilson.

5. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Believe me, other than some cracks most European football fans did not know the name Neymar at this point. The pressure will be all from Brazil and so will be the disappointment if Brazil won't win it.

6. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    15-20%? Are you nuts or just trolling?

As to Neymar, there is no doubt he would be highly successful in the Premiership which consists only of about 6 high powered international teams, and the rest technically well below the top half of Brasileirao serie A teams. The Spanish league maybe 3 top level teams, and the rest well below every Searie A team with the exception of the bottom 4 or 5.
    Look at the success Oscar is having at Chelsea - Neymar is lightyears superior.
    No doubt Neymar would have an immediate goal scoring impact on the Premiership or La Liga. As it stands now, if Neymar does not crack the top 5 FIFA Balon D'or for all he has done this year, then it is a sham.
    In Europe Neymar would have no problem having an overwhelming support for a spot in the
    top 3. And the kid just gets better and more mature with every passing day. My only concern is the lack of calls by the the Brit refs but Neymar seems to work around that issue and he NEVER GETS INJURED.
    BTW, nice tribute to Neymar on Faustao this past Sunday night.

7. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don’t think Brazil is stronger than Spain, and has tough time being stronger than Germany. If the WC was between those three teams, Brazil’s odds were about 33% I’d guess. But there are teams like Italy, Netherlands, Argentina, France etc of which all have SOME sort of chance of winning it. All of them participating makes Brazil’s (and everyone else’s) odds smaller. Simple.

I mean I don’t know what’s so “nuts or trolling” with this kinda reasoning. You think Brazil’s odds are where, 50+%?

(Also: I too think Neymar is already very good, bound to get even better etc - but "already in top 5 or it's a sham" is too much. He isn't THAT good yet, and his 2012 wasn't "top 5 in the world" worthy.)

8. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Actually 15~20% is a good number. Mathematically speaking, each team in the WC has a 3,125% chance of winning (100/32). Of course, you wouldn't really expect that every team has the same chance of winning it, there will always be favorites. Even so, even if we consider that the 10 best NTs (Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay, Spain, Italy, Germany, Portugal, Chile, Belgium for a random example) teams in the World have a realistic chance of winning, they would have 10% chance each.

About Neymar in Europe, I suppose he would struggle a bit in the beginning. He is a better player than Oscar IMO, but like soemone else said in this topic his playstyle is different, he is a dribbler and a dribbler will get into more physical situations than a player like Oscar that takes two touches with the ball and then passes it before someone comes. However I have no doubt whatsoever that he is very capable to adapt. He is a very complete package for an offensive player, not only he can score goals and dribble with ease, he also has excellent teamwork and passing. What happens at Santos is that we can't offer him a team worthy of his quality, so he MUST try to win the game by himself more often and that's why he dribbles a lot more with us. In the seleção he has much more trustworthy players to play with, so he passes a lot more and is one of the top assisters ( I can't remember the exact number, but in the Olympics he participated in most of our goals, like 12 in 16). I suppose his first months in Europe would be like that, then later when he adjust to the physical and tactical differences he will dribble a lot more and be closer to his best. By his second season he would set Europe on fire.

9. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Another important thing to keep in mind is the style of play. Chelsea is definately not your typical EPL team, and have built the team around their style of play which is good for the brasileiros that are there.

10. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Need too disagree on this one. Brasil is heavy favorate to win the Copa do Mundo.
    There is no other acceptable result, none. Sure Spain and Germany have good teams and maybe better than Brasil right not, but that will become nulified in the Maracana where 1 Billion plus people around the world will be putting all of their energy on Brasil winning the Tetra.
    15-20pct IMO is an outrageous estimate. You people are under-estimating not only the players of the selecao,but the fact that we are playing at home during what we consider to be the most important event of the past 5 decades.

Neymar has absolutely done this year what merits at least a top 5 in the FIFA Balon D'or.
    Falcao? Tevez? Iniesta? Are you kidding me? At 20 years old Neymar already has over 150 professional goals some of which were sheer genius. If you do not agree, then you haven't been watching the Brasileirao this year.
    Again, the genius of Neymar is being under-estimated.

11. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Australia, NSW
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I doubt Neymar will be a Top 5 or top 3 Fifa Balon D'or until he moves to Europe... Alot of people out of Brazil and non brazil/Neymar fans think he is overrated and they underestimate him... I dont understand why he just wont get out of Brazil and then compete with Messi for the #1 spot, even Muricy said it last month that he needs to go.
    If he goes to Barcelona he will fit perfect into his posistion left forward/wing, or even just go somewhere like PSG with Lucas Moura and Thiago Silva.
    How do you think Neymar will do in Italy Serie A? I wouldnt mind him joining Inter if he doesnt join Barcelona.

1. Barcelona
    2. Real Madrid
    3. PSG/Inter

12. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    15-20% is a heavy favourite, mind you. Not too many teams that haven't reached the top 4 in the last two tournaments deserve those kinda odds. Out of curiosity, what chances you think they have? Give a percentage.

It's tough to tell how the home ground will affect the tournament. I mean, it's extra-support - but it's also extra pressure and not everyone in the stadiums will support Brazil.

As for Neymar, people are biased towards him and against him. But in 2012 Neymar won nothing major with his club, failed to win the Olympics with Brazil, but in general played very well. As a matter of fact so well that it's only understandable that more and more people would like to see him play in the toughest club competition to see what he can do in club level against the people he's gonna meet in 2014 World Cup. But top 5 already? Nah. 6-10 is realistical (and not bad at all). As for Neymar being better than Iniesta, well...

13. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Australia, NSW
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Neymar right now should be competing with Messi and CR7 for the FIFA Ballon D'or/Player Of The Year but instead he is wasting time in Brazil and just diving around, and thats why people hate on him. Stop diving, put on some weight and go to Europe... He is 20 years old, he should be in the TOP 3 right now if he went to Europe and stopped messing around in Santos.
    At 20 years old Messi came 2nd behind kaka for the 2007 FIFA player of the year, Neymar is now that age and has no chance in the top 3... Messi came 2nd again in 2008, and finally won it in 2009 being 22 years old... Messi wouldn't of done that playing in Brazil League.
    If Neymar wants to become an all-time great like Pele, Maradona, Messi etc, then he needs to go to Europe right now or if not he better win 2014 World Cup.
    I cant wait for Neymar to go Europe, he will be doing himself and Brazil NT a favor.

14. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Neymar's game has matured substantially. I do not see dives. I see an opportunity for a foul going his way when there is NO OTHER alternative, and this occurs ocasionally. Neymar should absolutely finish in the top 5 at least, otherwise it is a sham. And Neymar does not need to go to Europe. Aside from 4-5 top teams on their respective table, about 15 of the Brasileirao Serie A teams are substantially superior.
    Here's what else I got to say:
    http://neymaroficial.com/nav/noticias_detalhes.php?idReg=AUUJkcWtGZHNlRaVXTWJVU

15. Danakil

Danakil Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Scandinavia
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    With this amount of hype, Neymar will be a big flop and failure if he decides to move to Europe before 2014. He should focus on brazil's quest of gold in the coming world cup. Even if they reach the semis, it will be enough for him to save face and then go to europe. He should not go now, Messi has just overtaken pele's record of goals in a calender year. This is not the right time. Not such thing as playing next to Messi will somehow help him grow and get better. No way, messi has declared war on pele. Neymar has a chance to win a world cup while playing in his own country, something pele did. Only then can he save himself and pele's legacy, otherwise there is no stopping Messi.

16. Dribble&Trix

Dribble&Trix Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Don´t worry IVO is just way off.

Lightyears..You truely are on another planet...
    The initial success of Oscar in Chelsea must not be exaggerated
    Will need to see in the long run or period how he will do, if he is able to establish himself,
    So far some highpoints in CL and other than that just decent.

17. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Neymar in Europe?

my initial thought has always been he will be like Robinho was in Europe - which is not a bad thing considering Robinho has had a good run in Europe - not the best, but good nevertheless.

i hope the best for neymar - i could see him potentially being as good as Arjen Robben if not better...

18. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Nope, not another planet although I wish I were in Rio right now but will have to wait until Dezember.

Yes, Neymar is considerably superior to Oscar, ok maybe not lightyears, but no comparison.
    No doubt Neymar will have substantial success in Europe, much greater than Robinho.

Percentage of the World Cup win for Brasil? I will give it 75%.
    As I have said, there is no other acceptable result. There is not other acceptable outcome.
    Don't you feel it? DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND IT?

19. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You're nuts or trolling.

20. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    How the fuk can I be trolling if I'm a Brazuka.
    75% chance. There is no other acceptable result. Difficult for the Gringo to understand.

21. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I get that there can't be other goal than a win in the WC for Brazil. Obviously it's like that, and rightly so.

But that's something else than talking about how likely it is that Brazil wins it. 75% a serious thought? End of discussion, I guess, as - gringo or not - that logic indeed is impossible to understand. One might ask people not to underestimate Brazil, Neymar etc and that's all great, but kinda doubtful if one at the same time so radically underestimates non-Brazilian football.

22. reckless_mf

reckless_mf Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Brazil will not win the World Cup. More than half the team will be playing in their first World Cup. Teams like Argentina, Spain, Germany and Italy will have the right mix of experience and youth.

Some of you guys are overhyping Neymar beyond belief.

Remember Robinho and Tevez were ruling South America in the early - mid 2000s. They've had good careers in Europe but not compared to the hype they were given.

This is what can potentially happen to Neymar. He also has a similar personality to those two.

It would be much better for him if he went to a club like Athletico Madrid where there is not as much pressure to win.
    Oscar is doing well at Chelsea but he is a completely different type of player to Neymar.

23. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brasil WILL win the Copa Do Mundo.
    Argentina is a joke.
    Spain chokes up.
    Italy - on the continous downfall.
    Germany, a force but always goes down to Brasil, especially playing in our home.

If you think there is overhype of Neymar then you are ignorant to Futebol.
    Neymar is a genius, a master of the ball and one of the top 5 players in the world today. Robinho and Tevez were not even close to what Neymar is today when they left to Europe.

You must be joking in recomending Atelico Madrid for Neymar. First of all this low level Spain team cannot even afford Neymar's underwears. If Neymar does go to Europe after the Copa Do Mundo which I am still hoping he will not, it will be to a club that can afford a 100 Million dollar plus tag and a 20 Million dollar plus a year salary, such as Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man U.
    But, I am confident that after Neymar lifts the Hexa at the Maracana Stadium, he will see no reason to go to Europe until he is about 33 years of age and at the end of his carreer.

Daniel96 and Danakil repped this.
  24. Dribble&Trix

Dribble&Trix Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Sorry but
    If You have this kind of attitude
    You are bound to loose.

25. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I know that it is your wet dream for Brasil to loose the Copa Do Mundo but that's not going to happen.
    As to my attitude somehow having an effect on the end result, that is stupid. I don't play for the Selecao, although I wish I did.