Neymar, 2012 and beyond [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by IVO !, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In the end he'll be the best player in brasil history only rivaled by Pele, if he goes to europe he'll do the same he is doing at santos only it'll be easier if he goes to a club with good players around him.

And i dont know why people keep saying that he needs to go to europe to get better. He already is one of the best players in the world and everything he knows he learned and developed in his home country. People need to stop with this inferiority complex that everything in europe is better. That's a colonized mind type of thinking. If europe is so great and better why they cant produce their own talent and need to sign players from all over the world outside of europe.

[]__[]

Danakil repped this.
  2. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Australia, NSW
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Europe is more tactical and better defense, when Neymar recieves the ball look how much space and time he has to decide what he wants to do, go watch Messi when he receives the ball he is straight away surrounded by players nearly every time.
    Brazil is relying on Neymar to win 2014 world cup because its the best player they have, and when he has to play against a good team such as spain, germany, italy, it will be alot different than playing againsnt Brazil league teams because the defense will shut him down unlike Brazil league where he has enough time to do all his tricks and all that.
    Neymar is 20 years old and he already one of the best players in the world, but to challenge Messi for that #1 spot he needs to go Europe, so many Brazilian legends have said that and its the truth.
    Neymar going to Europe will make him better and prepare him for 2014 world cup.

Rana catesbeiana repped this.
  3. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Lol.

The dude is 20, and has done very little compared to many Brazilian legends. He COULD end up as a true legend, or he might do a little worse. Can't know yet. IMO it's a bit dismissive towards Brazilian football history to say that some dude WILL become the country's top legend, while the history boasts such legends as Brazil can boast. Not that I think his career won't be a success.

As for moving to Europe, I don't know if it has anything to do with any colonized way of thinking or Europe being "so great and better". I mean, the point simply is: if you're top level, you might want to compete in the top level. So, the question is: Brazilian club football the best quality in the world? If so, he should stay. If not, he should move to where the best level is. Nothing to do with any inferiority complex.

Neymar anyway needs to make a decision pretty soon. Move this summer or extend with Santos, pretty much the only options.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  4. reckless_mf

reckless_mf Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Up to the early 80s the Brazilian league was just as good as any in Europe but then all the top stars from South American started to play in Europe. The best Brazilians are mostly playing in Europe now.

Look at Robinho his career in Brazil was great but his career in Europe has been a let down.

Robinho was too lightweight, too flashy and arrogant, you could say the same about Neymar.

The leagues in Europe are more intense and physical.

5. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The robinho story keeps getting repeated all the time when it comes to a brasilian player playing in brasil and people are starting to believe it as if it was really true. Look robinho's career in europe has gone exactly has it was supposed to go. He hasnt developed into the best player in the world but this notion that keeps getting repeated that he has been a flop is crazy. Robinho is one of the best players in europe and a damn good forward.

Neymar will be great no matter where he goes or if he stays in brasil. Besides why mention robinho and leave out romario, rivaldo, kaka, ronaldo, ronaldinho all players that did great in europe.

The leagues in europe are so physical and intense that midgets like messi, tevez, arguero, david silva, juan mata, and a bunch of others can dominate it and do great in it.

Oscar who is the same size as neymar has cemented himself in chelsea starting 11 in two months there. Neymar will do it from day 1 because he is better way better than oscar.

Lastly european leagues are two team leagues they are not as great as people like to make it out to be. Santos fc could easily finish top 5-8 in any european league and even higher in some leagues like portugal, russia, france, germany.

[]__[]

6. reckless_mf

reckless_mf Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Kaka are strong guys, all are around 6 foot or taller and have a muscular build. Even though Romario was short he had a stocky physique like Aguero and Messi. Oscar, Mata and Silva are different to Neymar, they do not run at defenders as much as Neymar.
    In terms of playing style and physique Neymar is most similar to Robinho.

Everyone knows that Robinho's career in Europe has not lived up to expectation. He was billed as the next superstar but never reached the heights of previous Brazilian players and has moved around a lot between clubs.

In terms

MatthausSammer repped this.
  7. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I wouldn't be too concerned about Neymar's physique. He is 20 and bound to beef up anyway, even without speficic attention to get a little stronger. He is fast but not strong. No-brainder to gym him up a little to make him harder for defenders to tackle etc.

8. reckless_mf

reckless_mf Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Well Robinho didn't exactly bulk up in Europe either. I've never seen a player with his type of physique be successful in Europe. Don't say Messi because despite being short he is strong.

9. Dribble&Trix

Dribble&Trix Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Robinho scored 14 goals in 31 games in Premier league,
    supposedly one of the most physical leagues,
    not too bad for a support forward.
    And he did score 14 goals in 34 games to help Milan
    win the Scudetto.
    He was more than often able to perform very good at international level for Brasil as well.
    Sure his career might not have been what was hoped for
    but he was not helped by being too hyped in the beginning.
    His main issue was not his physique it was his irregularity
    and bad finishing which was most likely more mentality.
    Neymar has a much better finishing than Robinho
    and therefor much better possibilities to be more successful.

10. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    LOL so messi is short and has a small body type and is the best player in europe but you cant count him because he is strong lolol how about david silva, juan mata, arguero, tevez, xavi, david villa, iniesta, wilshire, dempsey, all small guys that are doing good in europe... and i could name a bunch more that arent big guys.. heck coutinho is smaller than neymar and he is doing good in serie A... soccer is not american football, baseball nor baskteball where size matters is all about ability and technique...

[]__[]

11. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Australia, NSW
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I prefer smaller fast, agile, balanced and good dribblomg players than taller stronger slower players.
    Messi is 1.69m while Neymar is 1.74m... So they are both short but they have an advantage because they have better acceleration, agility and balance than those taller stronger players like CR7, rooney, Ibra, RVP, Gomez etc... Ronaldo 9 was a Tall strong player that had very good acceleration, top speed, ball control and dribbling but there are not many like that. C.ronaldo has fast top speed but doesnt have the acceleration.
    Messi has better balance because his shorter, look how quick he changes direction when running at full speed hes like a rabbit haha, and Neymar is abit taller and lighter but he is probably the most agile player today he can just glide past players like a cat haha, I know it might sound funny but thats how i see it... And in my opinion they are the best footballers today but Messi is still better, as for C.Ronaldo he may be a better athlete but i think Messi and Neymar are better in football they have more talent.
    When Neymar has some space it will be very hard for any defender to stop him

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Dude .... thank you ;) ... and I am not being sarcastic.

13. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well it's certainly easier to make a talented player become stronger, than to make a strong player become talented... But what am I saying? Neymar will stay with us during all his career :D

Neymar is actually LOSING weight here at Santos. He is playing so much and so often that his calories intake can't keep up. And whenever we give some short breaks for him he is seem playing peladas with his friends. The dude is a maniac. No injuries, either.

14. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Ramirez at Chelsea much taller but only a few Kg heavier than Robinho. He is doing alright there in EPL... avid Silva is also "slim" like Roninho ... I think is even skinier

15. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The thing with Neymar's physique is that it's not a problem. Should probably gain a little weight, but it's not that big of a deal (and anyway easy to do if wanted).

IMO the main point with Neymar's success in Europe is "how well he has to do to be considered a success?" - I mean some expect Pele-level, multiple Ballon d'Or awards, outshining C. Ronaldo and Messi, carrying Brazil to World Cup glory in two years. No matter how good you are as a 20 year old, that level of success is obviously more unlikely than likely to happen.

He is nowadays considered generally to be somewhere around spots 5-15, but it's tough to break from that group to the 1-3 group I guess, and more or less impossible anyway unless you play in Europe (or have a larger-than-life role in bringing WC glory to your country).

16. reckless_mf

reckless_mf Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Kaka is also a tall player who had great acceleration, so did Ronaldinho.
    When going for 50-50 balls the likes of Messi and Aguero are able to shrug off defenders, I don't think Neymar in this current state can, he is too skinny. Sure he is agile but that sometimes is not enough.
    Ramires is completely different to Neymar, he doesn't try to slalom past players like Neymar.

I don't think Messi would be as successful if he had Neymar's physique.

Maybe his club will bulk him up like Milan did to Pato.

The likes of Mata, Silva, Oscar are more like playmakers who do not try to take on 2-3 players.

If he can get a physique like Eden Hazard then that would be fine.

17. Dribble&Trix

Dribble&Trix Member

Apr 14, 2005
    I won´t say that You are wrong
    or that You may become right
    but I think it´s to some extent up to Neymar
    and what he truly wants and ready to work for
    and his mental development more than anything else.

There are some tendencies
    That may make You start questioning
    but I think Your start out point is too negative, too “wreckless”.
    Sure he has been diving a lot and show some douche bag attitude´s at times
    So one might question his attitude but he is improving continously
    and seem to have the drive.

Two things are sure
    He has a golden opportunity, backed by his club and country,
    I hope he takes it
    but also an enormous pressure.

Then I would like to add that I agree with previous speaker, Rana catesbeiana.

18. reckless_mf

reckless_mf Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm just concerned that two other players like him, Robinho and Denilson were disappointing in Europe considering their hype.

I think he will definitely perform better than them but I don't know if he will reach the level of Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho and Kaka.

19. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Australia, NSW
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Neymar just needs to bulk up abit maybe just put on about 5kg and then i think he will be fine. Neymar wasnt that much skinnier than Messi at 20 years old.

20. reckless_mf

reckless_mf Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Messi has always been stocky with big legs, even in the 2006 world cup when he was 18 he was much more bulky than Neymar.
    Messi has never been a weak player who is easy to push off the ball.

Even though Robinho bulked up he is still far weaker than Messi and Aguero.

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Different position and different type of player. Ramirez is faster than Robinho. Silva's game is also different than Robinho. Not as much dribbling.

22. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Neymar will be a great in UEFA. He will win titles in whatever league he's with and the team he joins will most probably conquer Europe at least once.

But before this happens, Neymar will have to adapt to Europe. He will have to bulk up and to become more tactical - he will have managers with different styles of coaching, approaches different than what Muricy Ramalho or Mano Menezes have had him play. Many have blasted him (and by this I mean non-Brazilians) as a spoiled and arrogant brat. In youth, many superstars behave badly. Shaquille O'Neal comes to mind, but as he matured and aged, he learned how to win with grace. Neymar too will have his learning curve. He's already started, with his team being eliminated from the 2012 Libertadores by bitter rival Corinthians. He has seen his team flounder in the current league tournament. And as if that wasn't enough, he had the first great setback of his club career when Santos was manhandled by Barcelona last year - that was a glimpse, to him, of what awaits him in the Old World.

He has the talent to be an all-time great. He is the best talent Brazil has had since the arrival of Kaká, and while Ganso is also incredible, Neymar has shown a fiercer competitive edge. With proper coaching and worthy teammates, Neymar will make his mark in Europe. And that will benefit the Brazilian NT - Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, and Romário all paid their dues in Europe and were winners there. They brought their amazing talent, honed by European play, to Brazil's matches. Two World Cups and several other titles are a testament of what Brazilian talent, sculpted by European play, can achieve.

Neymar WILL win a World Cup for Brazil. It may well happen before he goes to Europe. But don't be surprised if it happens after he arrives in UEFA (in addition to 2014 - the more, the merrier. ;)).

23. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That's a bold statement. If Neymar stays 100% motivated and fit, he has three chances: 2014, 2018 and 2022. Odds of Brazil winning ONE of those are what? 50-ish? 40-ish? Lower, higher? Could happen is one thing, will happen something else. As for winning the World Cup before going to Europe, wouldn't bet my house on it (but would bet my house against it).

24. Daniel96

Daniel96 Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Australia, NSW
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I honestly think Brazil will win 2014 and 2018 World Cup, im not sure about 2022 thats awhile away but if Neymar stays 100% in form and a few other really good youngsters come along who knows maybe theres a good chance.
    But the best thing Neymar can do to prepare for 2014 World Cup is go to Europe and get some experience playing against better defense and tactics.

25. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The chances to adapt to European football and more so to break into the starting team of a top club in a top league in less than a year is pretty ambitious..