Alert: Next decades Netherlands will be the new Hungary of Europe. Once great, but slipped into mediocrity.

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Sep 3, 2012.

?

Will the Netherlands be the new Hungary of Europe? Once great, but slipped into mediocrity?

1. That's an understatement. It is going to be far worse.

10.9%
  2. I agree, we will slip into severe mediocrity. Hungary sounds about right.

5.5%
  3. No, not really, we will be the new Belgium, that so now and then will produce a Hazard through luck.

20.9%
  4. No, football is a cyclical thing, in a few years we will be as strong as always.

46.4%
  5. What a ridiculous Poll. Netherlands will even improve over time and finally win the WC.

16.4%
  1. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well it takes some personalty from everybody maintaining such a vision to stick to your own metric for success in the international media bombardment of medals and championships. Maybe it also asks from people having such a vision to think of alternative measurements to show the fruits of the vision of diversity. Obviously the focus policy's on gold have an easy time when there is a table displayed every hour during the Olympics. Show 1 metric for success on TV a hundred times and it becomes instilled into the human mind as the only one.

I am also curious to what came first. Was there first British success in track cycling bcked maybe by a brought supporting government program and then a government program really focusing on it, or came success only after the focus?

2. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    In 1996 Olympics the UK had only one gold medal...

3. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    That is again very interesting info. How did you find that NPR excerpt?

The Szymanski and Kuper book has basically the same formula, with as difference that 'previous olympics' is called 'experience' - i.e. the number of matches played/events participated.

4. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    On another soccer forum in a comment section.

Yeah experience is maybe also a reference to country's having installed a football culture. This thread is probably debating whether this culture in the Netherlands is answering to modern demands or has moved into the wrong direction in their quest to answer to new demands, by gravitating towards physical selection and development of players rather than advanced technical development like in Spain.

The point I made a few posts ago and Neeskens did not understood:

The world is changing. Netherlands has 17 million people and that will not change so much as others. The young people will even become more scarce. We also are alreay on top of the GDP per capita ranking in the world. Not much to win there as well. Host is a factor, but don't count getting it any time soon. Netherlands will not host a WC or Euro anytime soon. In the culture variable there is level of education and participation rate. There is not much to win in the last factor (or there must be a white flight, that then also can be reversed), only in the first one, education.

So we only really have the third variable to work with (partially), while others have much to win still in the other category's. This means world competition will increase, maybe even rapidly. Even if we progress in education from now on, we might experience overall decreasing performance levels of the NT, simply due to more resistance. That is with good education. Now think about bad education poring out strong clumsy players, rather than highly technical players.

Think about Castaignos, Luuk de Jong, van Wolfswinkel, Dost. All poor footballers.

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Of course there is also the cautionary tale of East Germany starting in about 1971 where they decided to do everything possible to win gold medals at Olympic games. We all know how that turned OUT!

6. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It happened everywhere. Italy used heavy doping in football during 1960s. Germany from 1950s tot 1990s. Also the United States did it during 1984 and 1988 Olympics. And currently Spain is a huge suspect.

7. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Is there any good internet source in the case of Germany? 1950-1990 is a very, very long time and would also encapsulate their strongest period. In fact, all their 3 WC titles lay in hat period. I find it hard to believe.

8. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It is a combination of sources. Many have testified that they used heavy stuff in the 1980s and 1990s. Tony Schumacher is the most infamous case, was afraid and received heavy punishment for opening the 'doofpot'.

But everyone used doping. Also the Golden Ajax of the 1970s - but that was relatively innocent stuff, only pills and tablets. Vogts and Beckenbauer have admitted that they used blood doping, which was some heavy stuff because cycling (doping sport #1) only started to use it in 1984 (francesco moser). Beckenbauer admitted it back in 1977 and/or 1978. You can google that.

Italy also used heavy stuff and did it uncontrolled, hence many deaths among former players. You can say many things about Germans but they always prepare things well and know what they do. Grundlichkeit. Italy didn't and is now paying the price.

You can also google on Müller-Wohlfarth and his reputation. Enjoy.

Case of Spain is well known. Xavi, Iniesta and Messi are all subjected to hormone treatment and anabolic stuff (or derivatives) at a young age. Funny thing is that their cheerleader Graham Hunter was too enthusiastic, wrote about this in an intended positive light ("'La masia' best in the world", in that fashion), caused unexpectedly a fuss and retracted his comments a few days later...

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Do you have a source that shows this is true? There were always rumors about Florence Griffith Joyner but she never came out with a positive test. I know of no other US Olympic athletes that were implicated. I know the people who run the testing laboratories here in the US (I presented a paper on the use of human growth hormone for performance enhancement at a symposium sponsored by Major League Baseball several years ago) and the testing protocols are very strict today. I don't think anyone can get away with drug use for athletic performance any longer. I don't know what you know about Spain.

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't know about Xavi or Iniesta but Messi's case is very well known. In fact the reason that he moved to Barcelona is that the club was going to pay for his growth hormone treatment which is quite expensive. His Argentine club would not. The treatment was only for a couple of years and all the available evidence points to a lack in performance enhancement. The use of anabolic steroids is a completely different case and that is no longer possible because of testing.

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The use of stimulants is very well known in cycling for lots of years and it would not be surprising that football players did the same thing. The certainly can enhance reaction time (I had a personal experience with this a lot of years ago when I was still playing volleyball in college. I had a bad head cold and the doctor prescribed pseudoephidrine for me. We had a match that weekend and it was amazing how my reactions to the ball were much better. At the time this was not a banned substance but it is today.). Lots of asthma medications can open up the airways improving oxygen consumption.

What are you defining as "heavy stuff?" Blood doping is not "heavy." One only needs to have some blood removed and stored several weeks before the match and then put back in the body one or two days before the match. Even doing this is likely only to lead to marginal improvement in endurance. The bad drugs that have led to real problems are the anabolic steroids but even here they don't lead to "many" deaths.

12. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I'm no expert but I've read in books that the Italians used dangerous stuff that caused deaths years later. However, and I'm sure about that, the Germans and Soviets, among other nations, used exactly the same medications. Only difference was that the Germans were more careful with their doses and especially their timing, which is also important. They were actually caught during 1966WC, the first World Cup where players were subjected to tests authorized by the FIFA (certain about that), but it was kept secret. Der Spiegel published a year ago but it was for a longer while known.

If you say that blood doping isn't heavy then I believe you. My memory failed in that aspect maybe.

Ajax during the 70s also used doping but that was relatively innocent - not the same medications as the Italians and hence no deaths (although the death of Rijnders is by some related to doping but that is heavily disputed). It was technically still banned and illegal though. Ajax used anyway no intravenous injections - except when injuries occurred.

13. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    This one makes a good point about it:
    http://www.sabotagetimes.com/footba...baller-the-truth-about-footballers-and-drugs/

Not only Griffith Joyner but also Carl Lewis, Dennis Mitchell and others used it.

Doping at 1984 Olympics is all over the internet.

If you want to have a first hand testimony, watch the documentary 'the race that shocked the world'. Laboratory testers of that time, no journalists, do not make any attempt in denying it. In fact, they received orders from above - the name F. Don Miller is dropped by one of the former leading figures in the laboratory. But the same one said as final sentence in the documentary: 'it is easy to test with modern methods the samples of the past', or something along these lines. But it were still banned substances, with a clearance time (which also 'killed' Ben Johnson).

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Mitchell's first Olympic games was 1992 and the US cleared him of any doping (the International Federation did not so this one must be labeled questionable). Carl Lewis was extensively tested both at competitions and outside and never tested positive for steroids which Ben Johnson used but Lewis did use some stimulants. As I noted in a previous post, stimulants can enhance reaction times but don't build up muscle mass. Just because things are all over the Internet doesn't make them true. Most of the scientific literature affirms the value of anabolic steroids for performance enhancement but there is little evidence that growth hormone does as much.

The first use of stimulants in large amounts was by various armies during World War II to make sure that soldiers were at peak alertness during battle.
    I'll look for it. It's important to note that stimulants have a very short half life in the blood and their activity is the same. A sprinter would have to take it on the day of the race to get an advantage and it's only going to really help at the start of the race. Anabolic steroids on the other hand really do enhance performance.

15. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Mitchell also participated at 1988 Seoul.

With all due respect, I would give the benefit of doubt to the IAAF. It is well known that USA was reluctant to sign international protocols and did not allow foreign testers on their soil - i.e. WADA.

That is also in it and said by the same man. Don't know his name any more but he had a responsible function within the lab.

They, the American sport organizations, set up a testing programme in the years before the 1984 Olympics. The man who leaded this programme got some positive tests but discovered soon that this all was intended to get knowledge about clearance times and enhancing the training programmes. The figuring out of clearance times is explicitly mentioned.

Question to you:
    What do you think the Italian footballers used in the 1960s? As said, it resulted in premature deaths when they reached their forties, fifties and sixties. I will look if I can find something on google.

16. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    http://www.german-times.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1834&Itemid=74

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=soccer&id=2902813

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You are right on Mitchell in the 1988 Olympics, my error. The best testing protocols originated here in the US so I don't know what to say about a dispute between WADA and the US group that does the testing.

In regards to the question you pose, they were probably using amphetamines which as I noted were heavily used by the military during WW-II and by athletes after that. This is the first major drug class to be abused by cyclists. Steroid use came along much later. I don't know why there should be premature deaths. Even among the East German athletes I don't think this is observed. There is the case of one woman East German athlete who was given large doses of steroids that it adversely affected her sexual function and she elected to have sex change surgery to better deal with things. It's important to note that these East German athletes were given these drugs as they were entering puberty and WITHOUT their knowledge. This is a clear ethical violation and there were a number of those involved that went to prison for these activities. It would be interesting to see if there was/is a long term study of these athletes and the effects of the drugs on their bodies. I'll see if one of my friends knows anything about this.

18. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    OK, if you're interested in doping in Italian football I think it is also extensively covered with references in this book:
    [​IMG]

But also this is in newspapers on the internet. It was originally published by Gazzetta dello Sport. Dont remember which stimulants they used though. Only know, as said, that other nations like Germany and USSR did the same but with much more caution (esp. in case of Germany).

19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    There are some good articles on Wikipedia about all this as well. Stimulants can raise blood pressure and cause tachycardia (rapid heart beat) but those are the main side effects. Some of the Italian players died of other things and I'm not sure that it was beyond what might be statistically expected. It's very difficult to do the scientific studies that conclusively demonstrate some of this stuff. People still think cell phones cause brain cancer despite the rate of brain cancer going down and the use of cell phones going up by a fantastic amount.

20. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    More than one Italian player died. Picchi is the most famous and greatest one. Also a big talent died early but I can't recall his name - I thought it was a winger who died too early in his 20s.

One squad of Fiorentina saw five (or more) suspicious early deaths over the years. Remind that squads in those days were smaller and did not exceed 15-17 players. So five, maybe more (you can google it), early deaths is seen as something odd.

It is never proven, which is an important fact, but in Italy it is seen as something suspect.

21. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    About this thing: you can of course use it in both ways. Both as counter-measure and as 'weapon' itself.

;)

The GDR had after all also advanced testing laboratories in their age ;)

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^correct, you hardly ever saw a GDR athlete fail a drug test despite everyone being doped up.

23. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    You know,

The problem is that Holland isn't great in other sports. You can say that we are great in hockey but that doesn't count. Has not the same international status as volleyball.

We used to be good in cycling but that is also laughable at the moment.

Like you said, the main problem is the lack of technique. Watched eredivisie today and foreign players like Tadic and Djuricic have a way better technique and those will not make it to a top team too - they are basically too slow.

Apart from the earlier and often mentioned brain drain, it is also a problem that players seem to get dumber. Many do not notice it because also the prestigious EPL is very dumb in their tactics but Dutch players used to be clever and intelligent. Clever in the sense of having a feeling for time, space and movement - and foreign 'experts' have related this to the fact that Netherlands is a small nation anyway that fights against wind and water so the sense for time and space was something ingrained. That appears to be crumbling. Boys like Jethro Willems, Van der Wiel, Labyad (who opted for Morocco) appear not clever at all. Luuk de Jong is also a dumb mover. Huge problem because it corrupts one of the natural advantages Netherlands had.

Orange14 repped this.
  24. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Define irony:

Ever felt robbed of a great idea :mad: :cautious:

25. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You should have filed a patent application; you would be a rich man today!