Alert: Next decades Netherlands will be the new Hungary of Europe. Once great, but slipped into mediocrity.

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Sep 3, 2012.

?

Will the Netherlands be the new Hungary of Europe? Once great, but slipped into mediocrity?

1. That's an understatement. It is going to be far worse.

10.9%
  2. I agree, we will slip into severe mediocrity. Hungary sounds about right.

5.5%
  3. No, not really, we will be the new Belgium, that so now and then will produce a Hazard through luck.

20.9%
  4. No, football is a cyclical thing, in a few years we will be as strong as always.

46.4%
  5. What a ridiculous Poll. Netherlands will even improve over time and finally win the WC.

16.4%
  1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Also wrong is the amount of talents they claim that are for 100% nurtured at the Barcelona academy. In reality, many of them joined at a later age. While the academy can still make the difference between reaching the top or stay below radar, the foundations are laid elsewhere.

And there is not such a thing as 'facts speak for themselves'. That is a real fallacy of your side.

2. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    If we employed only local footballers we'd have no chance of winning the league. Same applies to every single other Dutch club by the way. If a local player is good enough he gets into the starting XI. See Ola John who played Chadli out of the squad. If he's not, we'll look elsewhere. Twente is now at a level where we can't give youngsters time to ease into the first team, they have to be ready straight away. Not even Tadic is certain of his spot in the starting XI.And this is shameful how, exactly? We're doing exactly what every other professional club in the world does. Twente is not a charity organisation, we're a club that a) wants to win things and b) wants to stay financially healthy.

Again DRB, with all due respect, but you have no clue about club fandom. You seem to look at all sports from a nationalist perspective. I love having local boys in our team. But if we won the league with 11 players from some island off the West African coast, I'll be just as happy.

The identity of a club is NOT determined by footballers. They're ALL passers by. WIth our limited budget, as soon as a player stands out he's gone. You can't build an identity on players even if you wanted to. The identity of Twente is determined by the long term vision of our board of directors, and even more so, by the fans. Both aren't going anywhere any time soon.

3. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If you throw something like this into a sentence, then where have you pointed out another mistake that is in the report?

I agree with this one.

Then quote me saying that. If you say: "Unfortunately it has the ECA badge on it", for me you communicate implicitly that the claims this report make can not be relied on. Then I discover you go as far as not wanting to read it. The whole report is nothing more but one stream of pretty technical information about the number of coaches, the hours of training, the money that is spend and the configuration of the academy's. I felt that in the context of this thread, I had to step in and prevent a source being cut off that could bring the discussion further.

4. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Is winning and recognition that important for you? You said earlier you did not care for the status FC Twente had in the eyes of others?

Nope

Ambition and craving for recognition over authenticity. Got it.

I am making the argument here for the local community, you are making here the argument of not caring to pick players from all over the country.

Oh really? I remember a quote from you saying that you trust in Munsterman and Wout Brama. Passer or no passer, that is what you said. Are you denying this now? What kind of regional orientation would this fellow Brama have and where would he have enjoyed a great part of his education? Clear evidence you speak words to fit your stance in this argument and not speak from your heart. Is that true fandom? Getting into an argument and dropping fandom the second it does not fit your argument?

Now you sound like Mr. S. .Putting words in caps log does not make it true. Are you trying to make a point or are you trying to convince yourself of something that is not quite there?

Exactly.

A oke, sounds like a group having a weekly appointment going to the cinema and throw popcorn at each other accompanied with some giggling while the actors on the white screen come by. Next week another film with other actors is put in the projector. Great thing you have going on there for yourself.

I simply conclude you have desensitized yourself in order to support something that has lost it's authenticity but provides some other other things for you. In order to to keep doing this you tell yourself a lie, that it cracks you up how fans from Feyenoord on Voetbalzone make a big deal about their players coming from their own academy. There is nothing to laugh about. Their pride is justified as FC Twente can be proud of Ola John and indeed Wout Brama. There is nothing wrong wanting to become more again than a bag of money, being known to be good at playing a game like Football Manager and fans cheering on the laundry really loud. How about being a house of football knowledge that learns the kids from the community to reach the level of expertise in the sport they have chosen to express themselves and then win great things as a community?

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm telling you that Twente fans and the Twente community are perfectly happy with the identity and authencity of Twente the football club, we consider it our national team regardless who plays in it. You're now going to disagree with me of course because you know more about this subject than a lifelong match-going Twente fan hehehe.

And don't put words into my mouth. What I said is that it cracks me up that Feyenoord fans constantly feel the need to point out they're a bigger club than Twente. Who are they trying to convince? We know Feyenoord are a bigger club. We ain't bothered.

In the same vein we don't care about how you or any other non-Tukker feels about Twente's 'authencity and identity'. It only strengthens our belief in the Vak P motto: Wij Tegen Iedereen.

All of that said, in the annual CPM club index based on a survey among the Dutch population, which as you know partly determines the distribution of tv money in Dutch football, Twente has very high scores, and is considered more likeable and fascinating than PSV, to name just one example. We actually have a good nearing on excellent image in this country. You might want to think about that for a bit, as the majority of the Dutch population has different ideas than you about what a likeable football club is.

6. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I meant: in addition to the mistake you pointed out.

Other than that I pointed at another flaw: it is not part of an annual series. Those often have as advantage that they tend to use specific criteria and methods. The reader can also compare reports and see whether they have changed something. A good example is the economic freedom index by the Heritage Foundation. Yes, they are a right-wing think-tank but they update the index annually and are open about their measurements, indicators, criteria and methods. That makes a crucial difference because the reader can make up their minds and even use parts of the index when he doesn't share the same sense of 'freedom'.

I don't like the aggressive tone you use so for me this discussion is over.

Your quotes:
    You only think in terms of right and wrong facts while most of the times lobby groups distort facts, select facts, present it in a different way (the question of half-empty/half-full and so on) and many other things that create 'half-truths'. It is for example clear that they make a case for more spending on the education. Barcelona spends 20 million, according to them - but how exactly did they measure it? Is it a consistent indicator throughout all cases or has cherry-picking a role? Do they perhaps use an inflated number to strengthen their argument? That are all relevant questions and unclear.
    That is why I look at the intentions in particular when it is not part of an annual series.

7. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Let I play a bit the devil's advocate:

It is funny how people are satisfied with the game against Dortmund. Of course, many expected a more negative result and a easy win for Dortmund but if you look at it from an youth perspective it is a different picture.

Dortmund has a greater budget but is just at Ajax not (yet) able to make big signings other than Reus. Hence, they played with quite a few youth players. Reus and Gotze are completely raised within the Dortmund ranks and then they also have someone like Schmelzer and Leitner who joined Dortmund after the age of 15 but before their senior career. Players as Hummels, Gundogan, Weidenfeller and Kehl had their education elsewhere in Germany; Dortmund is after all just one of the many good youth facilities in Germany.

Who are the pure youth products of Ajax, the so-called flagship of Dutch youth football?

Ryan Babel, Van Rhijn, Daley Blind and Vermeer are 'pure' Ajax products.

Siem de Jong, Eriksen (their biggest talent), Boerrigter, Alderweireld joined Ajax at an 'advanced' age.

All others such as Sana, Schone, Moisander, Poulsen and Sulejmani joined Ajax after their youth career.

So, Ajax played with slightly more youth products as Dortmund, and Dortmund was better (10 shots on target versus 6).

If people talk about the Ajax academy they often think about the top cream as Bergkamp and Kluivert but also the level below is important. Players of the caliber Marciano Vink, Brian Roy, and John van 't Schip. If Ajax had more players of that level (who would succeed abroad), then they had been much stronger.

It is just a thought but something tells me that a Dutch club has every opportunity to win from Dortmund because Dortmund has (yet) not the money to make big signings too. It all depends on the quality of your scouting (which Dortmund does very well) and youth education.

Just my thoughts.

8. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Saw yesterday the exploits of Isco. Spain is really strong now through all generations ranging from 17 to early 30s.

9. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Reus is not a Dortmund youth product. He was bought this summer.

10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Having money is about being able to keep your best talent. That's the whole point. Numerous young (Dutch) talents play one good season in the eredivisie and then leave. Simply because they can earn twice as much at some mediocre mid-table club in a bigger league.

If Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord and even Twente had managed to hold on to all of its talent over the past six years we'd have no problem competing in the CL. That's just not how it is.

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This is the big picture in Euro football right now. Even Dortmund is not immune, losing Kagawa to ManU this past summer. Here is a club that fills an 80,000 seat stadium every single game and the fans are really behind their team. Unfortunately, they don't get nearly the kind of television money as other big clubs in England, Spain, and to a certain extent Italy. That where the big difference is. Now Bayern make up for that with a great merchandising department that squeezes every last € out of the Bayern name.

Dortmund also have a number of very good non-German players on their starting 11. Lewandowski is one of the top strikers in Europe and a lot of big teams were after him this past summer. Subotic is a fantastic central defender who actually spent much of his school boy career here in the US and we desperately wanted him on our NT (he was eligible but decided to play for Serbia). Klopp is a darn good manager who has molded a team that competes for the Bundesliga championship every year.

They are not a team without flaws as we saw last night but the blunt truth is that they are better than Ajax and one of the reasons for this is that they face stiffer competition week in and out in their league. The Eredivisie is quickly turning into a league where there is too much of a quality difference between the top 4-5 teams and the remainder of the league.

12. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Sorry but I need to correct you here. Reus was raised in the youth ranks before his teens, at the age of 7 he joined Dortmund to be precise. But somewhere around the age of 16 he was regarded as not good enough. He was indeed bought back in this summer.

A bit like Elia, with as difference that Ajax could not close the deal.

13. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    But who of those talents had really the Gotze, Reus and Hummels potential? And remember that Dortmund is just one of the talent-producing clubs in Germany whereas Ajax has always been key for Dutch football. Whether you like it or not, at one point in time, in the mid-90s, over 40% of the Eredivisie players enjoyed their career at Ajax for at least a few years.

There has always been a gap between the top 3 and the others (with sometimes clubs as Groningen and Twente breaking into the top three). Some applauded that this hegemony was ripped apart in the last couple of years and did three times an hurray for the 'nivellering'. If anything, many see that the hegemony does not exist any more.

14. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I stand corrected.

15. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    What are those flaws?

16. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No revelations there. I don't see what's so good about that article.

Blind and Overmars as well. Sloppy...

17. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    When your academy/scouting fails to recognize talents playing within 3km of the Arena such as Maher, Assaidi and Narsingh, you're gonna have a bad time. Thankfully, as part of the massive overhaul at De Toekomst, head scout Hennie de Regt (who also sent away the likes of Lens, Narsingh, Elia, Boussoufa and more "difficult" kids) has been put on inactive.

18. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The report states that nowadays 30% of Eredivisie players have attended the Ajax academy.

19. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    More the sentiment.

What all those name have in common is that they have a foreign background and that seems to be a really big problem, the white flight (80% of population) to other sports.

20. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes.

Also: A national team of the region, regardless who plays in it.

Look at that sentence.

Well Twente's business model and the power it has given Twente, has started them doubting themselves. They experience that first hand by their talents moving to Twente. They experience that as a loss of status and that translates into anger and maybe will result in building a stadium that is also in their own hands.

The discussion is not about caring. It's not debatable in fact. FC Twente's team is a team full of mercenary's. They are as far as possible from being the national team of the region. By claiming that, you spit in the face of Athletic Bilbao and their supporters would laugh at you when you would drink a beer with them on a match day. They would turn around and go to somebody else. There are apart from Brama no boys from the community in it. You can brainstorm on as many motto's with Vak P as you want, it only get's real meaning with players on the field from the Enschede region. For otherwise you are nothing else than a group with a motto cheering on the laundry. It's a cinema model.

I am talking about authenticity. Not being likable. You just explained to me the motto of Vak P of we against the rest, so why bring this up?

To move on from this discussion and why I invest energy in it, is, because this is a root problem for Dutch football. This mindset of you. You are proud of your region, but at the same time don't care if you win the Eredivisie with 11 boys from Madagascar. Bilbao shows the real way of expression the community. When people start to get back in touch of what football should be about, greater efforts would be made to elevate the level of football from the own community and would also bind players maybe longer as a result of the sense. I don't say they won't move, but Janssen for example liked to go back to Vitesse and money was not the biggest issue. There was also another club from Turkey prepared to offer more. If money is the only reason for players to move, as there is 0 sense of a club you feel you belong to, Dutch football will go down much harder and education levels have less of a motive to rise.

To bring this sense back to Dutch football, a rule could be made, that every team must have at least 6 players in the field in every Eredivisie game at all time, that are from the own region.

JC-14 repped this.
  21. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    My aggression is triggered by dismissing a report before reading it. You bring points up that simply don't look that harmful to me. I just am not alarmed by this report as you are and I also did not draw the same conclusion from it as you do.

We can just disagree on this one and move on IMO.

Cheers

22. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    To be honest, people must do what they like most. Then there is also something to see at the Olympics. Portuguese people had to take extra long siesta's during that period as there was nothing to see for them.

I do think that the KNVB numbers are rising overall, so I am not sure there is a real problem in this department.

Are there numbers in this departmental? Are we sure that there is a white flight?

23. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think Gullit made one interesting remark, concerning Feyenoord. A club needs to have the stadium in their own hands. More clubs should move to this model.

Another point is that Spanish referees give many yellow cards. This triggers players to focus on playing the ball, rather then the man. This could be easily implemented.

Another point would be (I have been saying this often, but will keep saying this), that the whole reward system in Dutch football must change. Winning means nothing. Winning with authenticity is what counts and then you need to put the money on that also. Not only price money, also the salary's in the clubs and the bonus structures for management. More bonuses for managers if they pull off greater percentages of integrated youth into the first team, agree on minimum percentages and when not reaching those targets, penalize the people. If a player is discrediting the club with his behavior he is fined, same thing for management on this subject.

24. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Unfortunately, not every sport is cost effective. NOC-NSF has abandoned track cycling for a good reason. It was once one of their key programs but it is simply too expensive. Interestingly, the relatively inexpensive and most prestigious sport Track & Field athletics is a joke in this country.

Furthermore, most of the sporters choose a sport at a late age. It is not simply 'doing what they like' - you end up like Africa by the way if everyone 'does what they like' - but also a question of choosing. Most of them exercise multiple sports before they make a definite choice. Which is good.

To conclude, not every medal counts equally. Gold in the 100 meter sprint counts more than gold in equestrian, archery or wind surfing - with all due respect for the ones who practice it full-time.

This includes senior and veteran figures.

Excellent that you mention the case of Portugal; they don't have much money too but perform better in European football at the moment. This as reply to johanneeskens.