Alert: Next decades Netherlands will be the new Hungary of Europe. Once great, but slipped into mediocrity.

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Sep 3, 2012.

?

Will the Netherlands be the new Hungary of Europe? Once great, but slipped into mediocrity?

1. That's an understatement. It is going to be far worse.

10.9%
  2. I agree, we will slip into severe mediocrity. Hungary sounds about right.

5.5%
  3. No, not really, we will be the new Belgium, that so now and then will produce a Hazard through luck.

20.9%
  4. No, football is a cyclical thing, in a few years we will be as strong as always.

46.4%
  5. What a ridiculous Poll. Netherlands will even improve over time and finally win the WC.

16.4%
  1. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah but Asians love their video games as well. They often are champs in that division. Dutch kids love their video games as well.

I think the tennis and golf problems USA faces come from the world simply moving on. Sports become more competitive as internationally other parts of the world develop and want to express themselves through that sport. So overall the level goes up. The standards of training guaranteeing world success yesterday won't cut it to have it today or tomorrow. You have to improve and raise your education levels.

This is also a challenge for the Netherlands in football. It's maybe just not good enough anymore. We can rehash all the things that have been said about the Netherlands in the past and how well we are in raising top players, but I wonder how much of that is echoed here and in the Netherlands as a whole out of comfort and getting a reassuring feeling. Knowledge these days is past on in seconds, though implementation is another matter. Japan is a good example of a country that know how to move from having the knowledge to organize themselves from having the knowledge towards excellent implementation. Look at the influx of Japenese players into the Bundesliga and I believe it is only the start of it. The new Japenese players have something special. Kagawa at United is simply one of the better players and from a pure football perspective they are really good. This is just one example of another country pushing for world class. Mexico is also looking like they mean business this time around. Flirted with world class in the past, but are making a case to reach that now finally.

My point is that you can do the same as in the past, you can trust in the institutions of the past (the good amateur football), but that does not mean it will produce the same results as the world around us simply evolves. This is IMO what happened with USA tennis as well. The world woke up.

2. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This is by the way a report or even research piece on many European football academy's, with the aim to provide insight and share knowledge:

Youth Academy's in Europe.

JC-14 repped this.
  3. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Unfortunately it has the ECA badge on it.

Also interesting is how Spain has evolved. Players like Michu or Cazorla aren't starters for the NT; they have really a 'golden generation' right now. What is the secret of Spain? They seem to be ahead of others at the moment, or to put it more precisely: 5-10 years ago because the foundations of these players are grounded some years back and the state of this crop is not necessarily indicative of the state of current youth football - the golden 1970s generation of Holland is a good example.

4. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That is a fallacy. Poisoning the wells. If you have something to say about it, target it's information please.

5. Tom Okker won grand slams too and I'm sure we had a few others.

6. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    In the doubles (2, US Open and Roland Garros) not singles. The only other winner is Kornelia Bouman in 1927 winning the French Championships.

7. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I decide for myself what I do. If I seriously question the credibility of the source, then I say it. It has a clear agenda anyway, which I don't share. And Rummenigge is the face of it.

Besides, both the timing and content of the plans is as always noticeable. Exactly at a moment when the top-tier nations/clubs have moved on and are catching up, which translates itself in luring away top talents and top coaches, they make now plans to alter the business-model of the global game so they can also out-compete the second-tier parties on other dimensions like youth development. Those 'big spenders' also see the modern day trade-off between performance (on the short term - through buying foreigners) and talent development. They want to get rid of it.
    This is translated in the proposal to not place a cap on the spending at youth academies. Again, it is both the timing (i.e. the right time for the big stakeholders just as the implementation of the Champions League came at the right window of opportunity) and the content. If this becomes literally the model to follow in the future, which 'market leaders' impose on the others, then it is a further nail in the coffin.

ECA is nothing but the lobby group of the 'big money' spenders, that's all. Be wary of their intentions. Be wary of Rummenigge and the rest of the gang.

8. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You can decide what you do and I can decide whether you use a fallacy in what you do or not. Don't come on a pubic forum expecting people to not look at what you write. If the information in the report in wrong you can point it out, if it is not, then all that you talk about are the motivations to come to this initiative.

So you touch on the content. What's wrong with it. I see they claim van Basten came from the Ajax academy, while he came far in his teens from Utrecht. That could be pointed out as a half mistake. The report states a lot of facts in how academy's shape their education. Are you planning to target those as wrong or was your post aimed to dismiss anything coming from this organisation? What is so colored in the report, that people should dismiss?

9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Football is thriving in the Netherlands, both the men's and women's. Yes our professional clubs are struggling in Europe but the league hasn't lost its attraction domestically: attendances are consistently high. So here we have a situation where millions of Dutch people play and watch football every single week, where the Dutch FA has never had this many active members, where Dutch football clubs playing a hugely important role as social fabric in villages, towns and neighbourhoods across the country, and you're basically saying Dutch football is in crisis. I'm guessing you've never visited a Dutch amateur club in your life, and concluding that you don't understand what football is about in this part of the world.

And so bloody what if we have a generation now that aren't world beaters. We've been overperforming for decades, after all. As long as millions of Dutch kids start to play football at the age of six we'll be fine in the longer term.

10. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Thx for sharing.

11. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Please quit that belittling tone you constantly use. Of course you have to look at the motivations; it is basically a lobby group and then the question is, for whom and what purpose. You can debate about whether my interpretation about the lobby group is correct but it remains a lobby group with a mission.

An interview with the Dutch representative stood in the newspapers and the Belgian one as well. It is clearly and less clearly stated what the purposes are. And one of them to reach it is to distort the facts. Hence, I don't read the report.
    Reports that aren't produced on an annual basis have usually this characteristic by the way.

12. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    In Hungary and Denmark the kids also do that. But I agree with you that the structures are not really bad. Maybe the organizational structure and methods are a bit outdated but the grassroots are strong.

13. Krayichek or what ever it is spelled!!

14. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Haarhuis and Eltingh...

15. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Krajicek, Haarhuis, Eltingh, Koevermans, Siemerink, Schalken, Schapers etcetera were once called the Golden Generation.

Paganitzu recalled that tennis threatened to overtake football in the mid-80s but that generation surfaced a few years later, although Dogger and Schapers had some good upsets and QF-places in the late 80s (Australian Open, win against Ivan Lendl and so on). The term Golden Generation was coined in the early 90s, because many had suddenly top-20 potential.

16. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Anyway, Ruud Gullit memorized yesterday the events of late 1983 when Holland almost qualified for euro84 but all of them weren't as good as a few years later. His message was that you can't say at this moment how good they'll be a few years later, as reply to Mulder who sarcastically said 'Clasie is the new Rijkaard' or something like that.
    That is very much true although I think that Gullit was in October 1983 more advanced in his development than someone like Adam Maher or so. But Gullit was a few years older of course, 21/22. And made his debut for Orange team in 1981.

17. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You are restating something. You quoted my post that touched on something else.

This is the only straw man fallacy on your post. Why holding back?

Well in any case, it's not about winning the national title with a bunch of mercenary's outside your city or region like FC Twente like to do and contribute little to nothing the Dutch NT. What was the best player FC Twente ever produced?

USA always had great tennis players. I grew up with Sampras, Agassi, Courrier. There still is fantastic tennis infrastructure in the USA and many kids playing it, but what have come to them in the men's game and soon in the women's game once Serena stops? What kind of role do they any longer play in the top 100 list? Few guys and girls making up the numbers being mediocre. My point was that the world is changing. Doing the same and trusting on the things that were good enough in the past is in the world of tomorrow not good enough anymore.

18. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    in Canada as well.

19. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    My pleasure

20. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If you state "Tom Okker .. too" , who else then Richard Kraijcek did you had in mind?

The stat of 76 years refers to single games as far as I know so results from doubles don't count.

21. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Who cares? You analyse football like a statto. I have nothing in common with you. I'm a Twente season ticket holder and have been for almost thirty years with great joy even when we were in deep misery, and these days I take my son to football practise twice a week and to his game every weekend. I love Dutch football, every aspect of it, from the kiddies amateur game to the relative heights of Twente. This is football, this isn't tennis. Football is about soooooooooo much more than your team performing well and that's exactly why it's the world's most popular sport.

Cracks me up btw that you're arguing in the same post that football has evolved while criticising Twente for hiring 'mercenaries'. All footballers are passers by. At a club like Twente with limited financial means you learn this lesson early on. Maybe supporters of the formerly elite clubs in Holland should get with the program now that they're faced with financial restrictions. I support the club Twente, I don't support footballers. The club is always a billion times bigger than Messi and Cruyff will ever be combined.

22. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No it is not relevant. A lobby group with a mission and an agenda that brings out a report can state correct facts. The fact that it would side track this discussing talking about whether your vision on the organisation is right or wrong, would make a discussion about the content the only right thing to do. You have used the world "content" yourself at least 2 times in your previous contribution, but you don't touch on it. You rather create mystique than point out what is wrong with it.

Oke further poisoning of the wells. Why would I take it from somebody else? If they are so wrong as an organisation and have such a strong agenda, surely you can point in a matter of seconds to some of the claims or information from this report and explain what is wrong about it?

23. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Who cares about what?

Are you even considering ever addressing something what people say instead of throwing red herrings into the discussions? These kind of remarks have as little to do with the discussion as saying that I like chocolate. At least that would be true.

That does not provide you some kind space to say whatever pops up in your mind and act like that is what a discussion was about. A normal discussion would be you addressing my tennis example and then you can say it is true or not.

The mistake you make is mixing what meaning football has for you, with the technical, tactical and velocity advancements of the modern game and how education needs to modernize to answer to other country's raising the bar in these departments. Being good is relative is what I am saying.

You describe a world the way you do, to remove the need to perform with authenticity. You describe a movement in the sport to not make it worthy raising your own and you like to wear the cloths of Calimero whenever it suits you, so it looks like Twente does not have the possibility to raise talents in the first place. All of that is false. The only thing that cracks me up every time is how easily you switch from FC Twente being small in case A and big in case B. Whenever it suits you, you run away with the size of your club. You can't have it both ways. The question was: What was the best player FC Twente has raised?

Well you are clueless if you think players from the region or even city don't play their part in the need for authenticity. Glad to know you think FC Twente is a bag with money and Munsterman is a kid who is really good in Football Manager allowed to spend it.

Enjoy cheering on the laundry.

24. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I don't care about what status Twente has in the world, let alone in this country. I crack up every single day at Feyenoord fans on Voetbalzone.nl pointing out that they're a bigger club than Twente is. Btw, of course Feyenoord is a bigger club than we are. Will be for at least another 50 years too. I can guarantee that no-one at Twente loses a moment of sleep over that though (in complete contrast to Feyenoord fans, it seems). Do you really think that people buy a Twente season ticket thinking, oh dear, we're not anywhere near as big a club as Feyenoord are, should I really buy this season ticket? Do me a favour. We're enjoying ourselves, we don't need the recognition of anyone else. As soon as Feyenoord had a bit of money to spend, they spent it on geriatric no return on investment Matthijsen btw. There goes the commitment to youth development. Every club buys when they have the money. Even the likes of Barcelona do while they do have the money to hold on to their teenage talents.

But thank you for making clear to me that you're one in a long line of BigSoccer posters who believe that Twente has no value to Dutch football. At least I now know where you stand.

25. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Authenticity was my point, not status. And before that it was about how the word wakes up and is raising the bar, illustrated with an example from another sport where a country has completely lost it, while having a great infrastructure, kids playing the sport of tennis and also are generally speaking wealthy.

Management gets payed a lot of money and receive status from making the smart buys. Technical directors should be payed 1/4th of what youth trainers get and be rewarded with huge bonuses for the percentage of youth players they are successfully able to integrate into the first team. The whole reward system in this country is sick, if it comes to football. That's why fans like you lose their head and think the kid in charge playing Football Manager is the club, instead of keeping as close as possible to the idea of playing with the boys from the community against the ones from another community who also choose to express themselves through the sport and who want to test their ability and progress against the ones of FC Twente. A title won with mercenary's just tells me that there are a few people in Twente that are good in balancing the books, can kick anybody's ass with Football Manager and a lot of people who like the cheer on the laundry. Has nothing to do with education and passing on football knowledge to the new kids of the community to reach the level of excellence.

Not even your best straw man fallacy and I also conclude you are afraid to answer my question.